Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killing Skates

Default Killing Skates

I've done the forum search, but still have questions.

How does one kill a skate? Thump it? Shoot it? Where is the brain, just behind the eyes? Is there any real danger when bringing one aboard, or just inconvenience until it's subdued?

I'm interested in trying the meat, but want to have some idea of what I'm doing so noone gets hurt (but the skate) and the skate doesn't suffer needlessly. Don't want to waste it either, if I'm gonna kill it.

Brian, ever get any pictures of your skate-handling process?

Chris

forgive my question... but what is a skate?

in michigan the only skates i know of are those that strap to your feet.

Default what idiot kills a skate?????

why would anyone kill a skate. the they dont have much meat and what meat they do have taste like crap.just release them and go to another spot.

This is what the Skate looks like. At least part of it.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=32118

I was told by the charter captain that MANY people think the meat is VERY good. The only reason I didnt keep mine is because my girlfriend eats fish often, but very small portions.

This thing was guessed to be 100lbs by the charter capt.

Brian says the meat tastes like halibut cheeks. Not sure if the taste of cheeks are that far from the body.

As well, in the book 'The Alaska Roadside Angler's guide' by Gunnar Pedersen that so many of you have suggested, it reads: "Skate, although somewhat unpleasant in appearance, do make good eating - similar to scallops in texture and taste."

As for the original question, Im sorry, I cannot tell you how to kill one.

I tried it once, I didn't care for it, I really didn't notice any similarity to scallops which I love. Might of helped if I didn't know before hand what I was eating but I doubt it. I just release them now! the 1 we kept got whacked 3 or 4 times and was bled out, wasn't hard to subdue.

Here is one of the old links.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=skate

Pikepounder, dont' knock it until you've tried it & you just called some people with a lot more knowledge then you idiots.

The advice I've recieved, and I haven't it caught one to find out, is to practice "fillet and release". Cut the wings off and drop the body section back. Take the wings and imagine looking down from the base of the wing from the tip. Cut out circular sections of the muscle and cut across those sections to produce scallop shaped sections. I'm told if you've eaten sea scallops, you are infact eating skate, not scallops.

look at this video of a swimming skate

http://olympiccoast.noaa.gov/living/...ate_video.html

Ray
    Semper Fi!

them dang things are a nusiance..
    but i have been told that the wings are about the only thing worth eating on em.
    the last couple i caught the deck hand would gaff it pull it up close to the boat then he cut half it's mouth off just to get the hook back. i offered to pay him for the hooks if he would just cut the line as close to the hook as possible, if i caught another one,but he done the same thing with the second one..
    i don't know but my guess is that they probably starved to death, we used that same charter 4 years in a row before that happened, but haven't used them since and never will again..

Default Don't keep a small one

I'm one of those that will try just about anything once. We caught a skate, maybe 20-25 lbs, smacked it between the eyes a few times, which seemed to have killed it, and then cut off the wings.

Back at home, I took a piece of copper pipe, sharpened the edge on one end and started making "scallops." Had to cut the skin of both sides of each "scallop." Not hard, but it didn't leave you with much. Cooked them like I would cook scallops. Taste wasn't bad, mild white fish-type flavor. I wouldn't mistake them for scallops however.

The problem was that there were little pieces of cartlidge in each piece which made eating them kind of a pain. Looking at the other wing, it didn't seem as though the meat was thick enough for me to skin it as one piece and have anything much left to eat. Ended up putting it in the compost pile.

I'd probably keep another but only if it was very large.

Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    them dang things are a nusiance..
    but i have been told that the wings are about the only thing worth eating on em.
    the last couple i caught the deck hand would gaff it pull it up close to the boat then he cut half it's mouth off just to get the hook back. i offered to pay him for the hooks if he would just cut the line as close to the hook as possible, if i caught another one,but he done the same thing with the second one..
    i don't know but my guess is that they probably starved to death, we used that same charter 4 years in a row before that happened, but haven't used them since and never will again..

You should have reported them to the fish cops.
    They don't deserve to make a living fishing with attitudes like that.

Those that claim these don't taste good either haven't tried them, didn't cook them properly, or didn't handle the meat well. Skates are almost identical in taste and texture to halibut cheeks. I love them!

Mort - I haven't caught one since I posted the idea of taking pics/video. I still plan on posting that, though.

Default I have heard what you guys are typing

But I hav killed one and took the wings off. Then skinned the wings. You end up with a lot of rolls of meat, no need to use cookie cutters-BS. You then just cut against the grain and you get little round scallops. The texture was soft, not sure on the taste any more. I think my grandma used to much butter, pan fried with a dab I think would have been key. Will try one again if we catch one. Had a huge one last year but let it go.

Slimm-where was your guide working out of? Out of Homer near anchor point we were catching sand sharks one time like crazy, pretty good eating by the way. Just watch the seasonings, they take the taste of what you cooking with bad. Most of them were missing half of their lips or face, looked like fingers on either side instead of connecting around. Either people cutting hooks or a commercial rig, crusifier? is ripping them apart.

Talking How to kill a Skate ???

Use a RAY gun.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    no need to use cookie cutters-BS.
    Agreed - taste is important here, not shape. Cutting them in circles just wastes meat. Fillet the wings from the center bones out to the edge, sautee, and enjoy!

I was told the same thing several times, "they taste like scallops", so I kept two skates in my life, and really truely regret it! One was a 100+ lb. beast and another was a smaller 20 lb. fish. They were both dispatched, wings cut, and placed on fresh glacier ice. I cooked both fish fresh, without freezing them. The larger fish had nice bands of stringy meat the size of cheese sticks which were sliced and fried in claified butter, garlic and wine like I do all my scallops. The end result was nothing like scallops or even a close relative to a scallop. I would describe it to arrowtooth flounder. The smaller fish was slightly firmer, but not even close to a good scallop. I hate to be a downer on this fish, but I wouldn't keep another, and actually think irish lords, dogfish soaked in milk, starry flounder, and cabezon are better than skate.

Slimm-where was your guide working out of? Out of Homer near anchor point we were catching sand sharks one time like crazy, pretty good eating by the way. Just watch the seasonings, they take the taste of what you cooking with bad. Most of them were missing half of their lips or face, looked like fingers on either side instead of connecting around. Either people cutting hooks or a commercial rig, crusifier? is ripping them apart.[/QUOTE]

we were fishing out of seward,not far from Montague or however you spell it..

Drifter yea i guess i should have reported them, i really wished i would have now, it sure chapped my hide I'll tell you that much.
    are skates considered game fish??

ya'll can have the skates - I agree....NOTHIN like scallops

and I've caught em with their mouth cut open, sliced, or missing a lips etc - they seemed to be pretty well alive and feeding just fine, and it never bothered me to see em that way

as far as the regs...

No Limit No Closed season

Default what lures/bait should I use on the kenai?

My wife and I are flying up from Portland Or the week of june 14 thru the 20th. We are renting a vehicle at the anchorage airport and driving down to go charter fishing in homer (Inlet charters) on sunday for kings and then halibut fishing on monday. We will have Tuesday, wednesday and thursday to spend doing other things before flying home on friday. I was hoping to go salmon fishing on the kenai (Or another good river) on one or two of those days. we are staying in homer during the whole week. Don't know the area so would like some advice on where to fish and especially what to use for lures/bait. We will just buy a couple of fishing poles when we get there. Any onfo on where and what to use would be greatly appreciated. I hope you don't mind us intruding on you beautiful alaskan fishing but we will be spending a considerable amount to do it. So, we will be helping by leaving some our hard earned cash up there in trade! Just kidding, but any help with making our vacation even more enjoyable is appreciated!!!!!!!!! Matt. Prineville (Central oregon)

Default I'm just that kind of idiot

I've caught enough of them and have heard the meat is good. Might as well give it a try. But I don't relish cutting the wings off if the thing is still alive and suffering. I want to at least stun it, preferably kill it, before I mutilate it. Capisce?

Thanks for the tips, perhaps I'll just go cold turkey. If I have the presence of mind, I'll take some photos for anyone interested. Of course, maybe my interest will keep me skate-free this year. Probably pick up double my share of dogfish though!

Candyman - NICE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast