Thread: Upper Skwentna

Default Upper Skwentna

Has anyone ever floated the Skwentna in late June? I've talked to a few folks who said it would be good to go for a solo bear hunter, and then I had another recommendation against it based on the log jams up high. I'll be floating from the headwaters down to Hayes River. Also, where can I get Strahan's book on float hunting? Looked a few places can't find it.
    Thanks for the help.

Thanks Lu,
    I couldn't find anything there on the Skwentna. I'm going to order the book, not sure it will get here in time to guide my decision between the Chitina or the Skwentna for a black bear float trip.

Default sources for the book

Hi folks,

In Anchorage the book is available at Alaska Raft and Kayak and at Title Wave Books. In Fairbanks I think Gulliver's has it, as does Blue Moose Rafting.

If that doesn't work I have some copies here too (in Anchorage). Drop me a PM and I can make arrangements to get one in your hands immediately. And yes, there is a writeup on the Skwentna in there...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Michael,
    I PM'd you.

Thumbs down Upper-upper Skwentna River to Hayes

Yes... you spoke w/ me @ Alaska Raft & Kayak -

Please take my word for it - that while much of the Skwentna is not too difficult, the proposed trip or stretch you asked me about ("as a not really experienced solo boater") is an over-assessment of both skills & equipment as well as an under-estimation of the swiftness, cold and hazards of putting in at the headwater source of the Skwentna River.

True - there are great prospects for viewing bear,,, but as a "solo beginner to intermediate stage boater"… this is not a fit picking for a float trip.

Cool, thanks Brian, I'll either find a buddy, get dropped off below the rapids, or go else where, thanks for the input.

Default you might want to try the talachulitna

if what you are interested in is bears the last time i floated the tali we saw 18 bears. we saw 9 black bears walking around alone. then we saw 9 brown bears, and some of these were mothers and cubs. so we saw lots of bears to choose from, and we left with 3 black bears and one brown. we were looking for moose and did not see a one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Yes... you spoke w/ me @ Alaska Raft & Kayak -

Please take my word for it - that while much of the Skwentna is not too difficult, the proposed trip or stretch you asked me about ("as a not really experienced solo boater") is an over-assessment of both skills & equipment as well as an under-estimation of the swiftness, cold and hazards of putting in at the headwater source of the Skwentna River.

True - there are great prospects for viewing bear,,, but as a "solo beginner to intermediate stage boater"… this is not a fit picking for a float trip.
    What would be the boat of choice to haul supplies from deshka to the upper skwentna/happy river area? Looking at getting a go devil 18'x60" surface boat and either MudBuddy SD or a go devil long tail motor.

I have floated it via the Happy, and it has a little class II. Above the Happy there is some class IV according to Embick. However, there are numerous channels and lots of wood you have to be cautious of, but the channels are wide. It will be different now though from 6 years ago when I did it.