Thread: Valdez pink salmon/halibut fishing questions

Default Valdez pink salmon/halibut fishing questions

Greetings Alaskans, fisherpeople, and others

I'm coming up from Michigan the week of July 1st, and bringing a friend who's never been to Alaska. Want to show him a good time! We'll be in Valdez for about 3 days, and I have a couple questions:

1) I had a great time a few years ago fishing pinks from Allision Point. Should the pinks be in close enough to shore to fish by July 1st? What's the run expected to be since it's an "odd" year?

2) I've halibut fished a couple times on charters, and think I have the hang of it . We plan to rent a boat (18') and go out around Jacks or Galena Bay. I've poured over charts and think I've found some potential spots, but ANY advice on where to catch some halibut would be greatly appreciated. I'm targeting 100-200 ft of water (flats especially), off islands, reefs, points and so on. We're not looking for your 100# top secret hole, if we can get on some 25-35 chicken type halibut we'll be pretty amused. Of course, I won't object if you send me GPS coordinates to your secret location!!

3) Grayling - Any local streams, or is Thompson Pass the best area? We're not afraid to hike a few miles.......never caught one and would love to!

TIA and good luck out there!

Andrew

Default pinks and such

Fishfood,
    If memory serves anytime in July out to be good for pinks and they ought to be there in their normal hordes, odd/even doesn't affect them I don't believe. You've been there so you know how to fish them, grab a few pixies and go.

I've never hit Jacks and Galena maybe once or twice, we usually go past them but I do know a buddy hit Galena last weekend and picked up a couple different kinds of cod and some rockfish, I don't believe they got any halibut there. There are 'buts to be caught there and I would expect a few more to be around with the pinks coming in. You're looking at the right kind of areas, try and find you a nice sandy bottom for 'buts, and well rocks for rockfish. If you think you wouldn't mind going out a little farther let me know, could have a spot for you. Have fun either way!

Grayling I know nothing about down there, in the interior I could. Take it easy.

Cody

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    What's the run expected to be since it's an "odd" year?
    I think you're in luck because its actually an even year. Unless Ive slept through 2008...darn dramamine makes me so drowsy!

I asked DaveintheBush, who seems like the expert on Valdez about pinks around July 5-6 and he said they 'should' be there. He said wait a week longer (11-12th) and it will only get better.

Im guessing you will get some, but it wont be swarming with them.

Hope you get tons of them. Have fun man!

Default Odd/Even

Odd/Even should not matter here. The hatchery plants every year and there are enough other streams that it just does not matter.

Charters??? I have not heard anything yet but very few private boats are out. I am only bear hunting every 2-3 days and pulling pots. As soon as bear season is over I do not expect to be out much. Gas is $4.67, at the dock. Diesel is $5.08 the other day. People are hurting and the RV parks are practically empty.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default valdez

Yeah Dave I noticed that, was down memorial day weekend with friends, 3 boats between us, everything was looking pretty barren. Kinda nice not having to wait to launch though...I'll be back down in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the responses, that was fast!

LOL I guess it's not 2007 anymore after all.....man, I'm really behind.

I'd love to go out farther but with only an 18' skiff Fish Central doesn't want us going any farther, and I'll take their word for it. I imagine being on the sound in an 18'er is asking for it....if we don't do well, we'll get a charter.

So if the pinks aren't quite up to the harbor, can you get them trolling, and if so where/how deep? Hopefully downriggers aren't needed?

Thanks again!

I you can afford to I would highly recommend a charter into the Gulf to increase your odds of catching Halibut & Lingcod. If you rent a boat you can probably get a local map from Fish Central with some good spots to try in Jack, Galena, or Sawmill Bays. You should have no problem locating pinks.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 06-03-2008 at 13:31. Reason: spelling

Default Fish Central

Fish Central is adding to larger boats with covered cabins to the rental boats. These new boats should give you more range so you can go to Hinchinbrook or Monty Fishing. Give Greg a call at 907-835-5090. As far as charters go most of them are already booked during that time period. Greg keeps books on most of the boats so give him a call.

Thanks again for all the advice. If we don't do well, we'll take a charter. I really do want to give it a go on my own first....I hate being "babysat" while fishing. My experience on charter boats has been mixed at best, even though I've booked the "good" charters ahead of time. Some are good, some want to land a couple good fish for pictures and then load up on chickens and get back to port. The reputable charter I was with last year didn't want to go far, and we caught small fish as a result. He complained about gas nonstop. No offense, but when I shell out 250 bucks for an "all day trip", I don't want to be back at the dock before 2pm. Charge me an extra 25$ and lets get out where the fish are. Also, the other fishing parties on the boat invariably want to give up before I do. They get 2 25 lbers and are ready to head in, I'll fish 10 or 12 hours if the captain is up for it. Yes, I tip nicely when the cap. works hard and puts in a long day.

PS are pinks really that bad to eat? What don't people like about them? Fishy? Oily? I've eaten tons of chinooks and silvers (we call them coho) out of the great lakes, along with lots o' store and restaurant bought salmon over the years, not to mention trout, smoked salmon, canned salmon, yada yada. I just don't think they all taste that different...maybe I'll cook up a pink and see what they're like.

Ocean chrome pinks are good to eat fresh. They don't freeze to well.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    Thanks again for all the advice. If we don't do well, we'll take a charter. I really do want to give it a go on my own first....I hate being "babysat" while fishing. My experience on charter boats has been mixed at best, even though I've booked the "good" charters ahead of time. Some are good, some want to land a couple good fish for pictures and then load up on chickens and get back to port. The reputable charter I was with last year didn't want to go far, and we caught small fish as a result. He complained about gas nonstop. No offense, but when I shell out 250 bucks for an "all day trip", I don't want to be back at the dock before 2pm. Charge me an extra 25$ and lets get out where the fish are. Also, the other fishing parties on the boat invariably want to give up before I do. They get 2 25 lbers and are ready to head in, I'll fish 10 or 12 hours if the captain is up for it. Yes, I tip nicely when the cap. works hard and puts in a long day.

PS are pinks really that bad to eat? What don't people like about them? Fishy? Oily? I've eaten tons of chinooks and silvers (we call them coho) out of the great lakes, along with lots o' store and restaurant bought salmon over the years, not to mention trout, smoked salmon, canned salmon, yada yada. I just don't think they all taste that different...maybe I'll cook up a pink and see what they're like.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 06-04-2008 at 13:06. Reason: spelling