Thread: Paxson Lake

Default Paxson Lake

Does anyone know if the ice is out at Paxson?

Default Last weekend

I was up there. As I recall, Paxson Lake still mostly frozen. I think the open water leads were about 4 to 6 feet wide at most, mostly along shoreline. Summit Lake further north was 90% ice, but Meiers Lake and further south of Paxson were open.

Have you heard anything about Klutina Lake?

Default Open and Clear

Paxson has been floatable for the past couple fo days. North End of the lake had some ice but it more than likely flows with the wind. We sent a party of three down the AM all was good. I do hate being the first group down sweepers and such.
    Last edited by BlueMoose; 06-07-2008 at 12:18. Reason: As always spelling

Please post if your group returns and finds any sweepers or other issues. I am heading up there next week. Thanks

Default Will Do However

I promise you if they find anything nasty they will more than likely take the time to remove it :0

We just returned from floating the Gulkana from Paxson to Sourdough. Fishing was a little slow, bugs were basically not a problem, and there were no major obstacles in the river. There was a log (more of a tree I guess) lodged in the canyon on the last ledge in the middle of the river; we snuck around it on river right but there was a way around on river left as well. Did not see anyone on the river. Good time.

Default We are still up there

Thanks for the report. My Crew is still up there till Tues Night! I will try and get the log out in a couple fo weeks just becuase canoes tend to wrap on things :-)

Default Log Removed

Just FYI for anyone runing the Upper Gulkana we removed the Log from the Canyon on Monday. You can take either side now or if your feeling it run the middle.

Tight Lines to all and Great Rafting.

Blue Moose

Default Canyon log pics

Posted pics on another thread. The BMR guides impressed us by taking the initiative with this hazard - which I'd guess was a log 25-30 feet long, maybe 16 inches at the base. Great job and problem now resolved as Moose said.

Default The best approach through the canyon

Good morning,

What is the best approach to maneuver through the canyon? I have never floated Gulkana and have an 18' cataraft.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Regards,

yhc

Default Depends on the Water Level

Some years you can run the Left all the way through others you have to pick and choose your slots. Rule of thumb for crazy me is I stay in the middle using the rocks and ducking behind the rocks till I almost come to a stand still then pick the best line. Once I am about 75 percent through I go directly to the right canyon wall to the right of the three big rocks hit the breaks on a couple of good back storkes then turn and burn back to the middle. If you scout it the lines normally show up fairly well. Last year during extremely low water it was hitting rocks more than avoiding them darn things were out and about and made for a fun ride most of the summer.

P.S. It will be fairly tight in an 18ft Cat if the water drops. If the current levels maintain for a while you should be fine. GO Light and unloaded incase you decide to hang. Take a block and tackle with a couple hundred feet of rope just in case.

If your looking at the picture 6 X posted you will see some fo the rocks in question.

We will be back there starting the 22-25 June, 29 June - 2 July, 3 July -9 July, 10 July -14 July so on and so forth. If you happen to be going on or around dates shoot me a PM we always help out people up there when we can i.e. running with you if we happen to be in the area.

Blue Moose

Default Thanks

Bluemoose,

Thanks for the info.

Paxson Lake looks all completely ice free now from the Richardson Hwy.
    Summit Lake, though... it was 1/2 way covered yesterday in ice and today when we passed it coming back from Gulkana, it was 3/4 covered in ice.
    Weather wise, it's still pretty chilly up there. Bring your raincoat!
    Lurker.