Thread: Acid wash

Default Acid wash

Does anyone know who can do this? I'm thinking end of the season/early 09 to get this done and reapply Shark hide.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

when i was a plastering apprentice we would use a solution of muratic acid and water to clean up plastered surfaces. used gloves of course and a mild solution. i would suppose that i wouldnt really want to mess with this stuff myself either and jsut pay to have it done.

alot of guys that own aluminum boats believe that the best way to care for your boat is to let it oxidize and leave it. once the surface has oxidized then its done. if you clean it it will oxidize again and with each oxidation you will lose a layer of aluminum. but to each his own i do like a shiny clean hull myself .

I have that shark hide on now. But it's about time for me to redo it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Try the Zep-A-Lume and do it yourself. I use this stuff and it works great. Very easy to use.

I'm not sure where to buy it in Anchorage. I used to get it from a small automotive business in the Valley, but I think they are out of business. If you find a place that sells it please post. I have about a half gallon left and will soon need some more.

Here is a link to it. I'm not sure if you can order it direct.

http://webfiles.acuitysp.com/psr/zeppsr/psr_1063.PDF

Thanks I will call Dewey's and West Marina and see if they know anyone how sells it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default ZEP

1-877 I BUY ZEP is there phone number, they can tell you a dealers name,
    MSDS sheet here, read has lots of good info.
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 11-29-2008 at 12:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Does anyone know who can do this? I'm thinking end of the season/early 09 to get this done and reapply Shark hide.
    Napa sells "Aluminum Brightener" in qts & gallons made for cleaning aluminum wheels or any kind of aluminum surface. I have used it on my 22' SeaRunner & it is a perfectly good way to spend a windy weekend when you can't go fishing. You apply it to the boat surface, let it set for a few minutes, hose it off and then the fun begins if you want a real good shine. Get a car buffer & a butt load of terrycloth pads for it and start buffing until the black comes off the aluminum. You'll go thru ALOT of pads buffing, but it really polishes the aluminum. Don't try to buff it by hand unless you have a serious masochistic streak in you or an unemployed teenager needing cash living under your roof!

BTW - one gallon should do your boat.

Good luck

Default I bought some here in town

a few years ago, zep alum that is. The guy was off of King street I believe. Can't remember for sure. Someone should know where the guy is. He had a small unit and was selling a lot of zep products. I just can't remember.

When painting my boat I bought two seperate product from the pro paint store, off of the old seward near tudor, again can't remember the name of the place. That is stuff you need if you are gonna apply some type of paint or coating. It all is nasty stuff, I think it was all Zep products.