Thread: Basic Safety on a camping trip?

Default Basic Safety on a camping trip?

Hi all,

Ive never camped in AK before. I just wanted to know how to keep the smell of my food away from bears or hungry humans in neighboring tents?

I have a good cooler, but do I have to leave it in the car over night? Can I put it on top of my car?

This may sound silly to you but I have no clue what a bear can and cannot smell.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Default depends

Most of the campgrounds in the areas now require your coolers be stored over night. I have a hard top on my truck and keep them in the back. Im guessing your best bet is to just lock it in the car. I know they were writing 100.00 dollar tickets for them being out last year.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I assume you're going campground camping? If you're backpacking in the mountains, you'll rarely come across other humans, not unless you're using a trail. Some people pack everything in bear bags that they hang in trees, but that only works if there are trees to hang from. I usually use a bear canister, and everything that's aromatic belongs in there - food, toiletries, etc. No food goes into the tent or in my pockets.

My food's been bothered by mice & weasels, but never bears. It depends on where you are.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

"...I have no clue what a bear can and cannot smell."

They can smell anything with an odor. They have an amazing sense of smell. Rather poor eyes, but a great nose. And they seem to be attracted to the perfumes of many personal products: tooth paste, deodorant, soaps & cleaning supplies, etc. Like Wolfeye mentioned, they are all are best kept out of your sleeping area.

Default Can't remember the exact number...

but they have several times better smellers than a dog. Any you know how good a dog can smell.

The drunk two legged wild animals in the camp grounds are as dangerous as the 4 legged ones. They don't smell very good either.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Hi all,

Ive never camped in AK before. I just wanted to know how to keep the smell of my food away from bears or hungry humans in neighboring tents?

I have a good cooler, but do I have to leave it in the car over night? Can I put it on top of my car?

This may sound silly to you but I have no clue what a bear can and cannot smell.

Thanks,

Jonathan
    Yes, lock your cooler inside your car with the windows up. Wash all your cooking and eating dishes away from where you will sleep, and wash them right after you use them. Don't keep garbage of any kind where you camp ...either burn it or package it up in ziplocs and store them inside your car as well. Should be fine. If you're worried, invest in an EPA-certified pepper spray rated for bears. Get the larger one. Get the one with the holster. Get the one that says 'fog' and "30 feet" on the label. It'll be $50 or so. Bring it when you go hiking. And ...have fun!

Brian