Thread: 308 Winchester

Default 308 Winchester

Does anybody have an idea the value of a Ruger M77 308 winchester. It is the featherweight, blued with wood, good condition and at least 20 years old?

Thanks

Can't say, but in your boots I'd be watching the auction sites for current examples.

I'm curious why you would part with it though. Talk about a dandy combo for deer. I'd be happy with it for bou and moose, too. Mine balances so well with a Leupold 2x7 scope that it's one of the fastest handling rifles I've used for close quarter shooting. Don't let anyone tell you the 308 isn't up to snuff. I've got lots of heavier calibers, but the 308 always seems to do the same jobs with a lot less fuss and bother. Way too many people form strong opinions without ever popping a cap, rather than actually shooting anything but their favorites. Sad. Very sad.

Thanks, I have been watching the auctions. I am actually buying this gun from a friend, not getting rid of it.

Cool beans!

I think you'll be really happy with it.

Default Excellent

I also picked up a Ruger m77 mkII Ultra Light in the 20" barrel and just topped off with a Leupold 2x7 and it is very well balanced. What I traded was a unfired in box m94 winchester 30-30 and my friends think I still got the better deal. I would have to value my .308 now at least about 500.00 but I really am not sure. Good Luck!

$350-400. Depending on condition.
    Tennessee

I ran the bid to $475 on a real clean one on gunbroker a while back and still didn't get it!

I haven't seen one on there since! I think that one ended up going for $500.

What BrownBear said!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I ran the bid to $475 on a real clean one on gunbroker a while back and still didn't get it!

I haven't seen one on there since! I think that one ended up going for $500.

What BrownBear said!
    The M77 Featherweight is one of the most underrated, overlooked, and highly sought after rifles I've ever seen. Funny when the "experts" put it down after six shots with a borrowed gun at the benchrest and without ever owning one, yet the guys who own them and use them for actual hunting almost never part with them. They're not strutting around the ranges and trying to sell articles, they're just quietly going hunting.

I actually own three Featherweights- 308, 30-06 and 257 Roberts. But not a one is in the house right now! Friends and family "borrow" them, and it takes years to get them back. Come to think of it, I bet I haven't seen that 257 in over 10 years. The friend who has it borrowed it as a starter gun for his wife on elk and deer down in Oregon, and though he keeps reassuring me that it's in fine shape, he never quite gets around to sending it back. She's managed both elk and a deer almost every season since they got it, and never had to take two shots or lost any game. I'm betting we're going to have to negotiate a sale, because she's got this Charelton Heston cold dead fingers idea about that particular rifle, even though she owns and shoots others now.

Oh, and a great big BTW- That particular rifle is the worst shooting Featherweight or 257 I've ever seen. It will barely break 2" with any load for some reason, so you can imagine what the "experts" would say about it. They just better not say it within her hearing. It's easy to carry, easy to hit with, and consistent as can be.

Be relaxed about the model however- Both my 06 and 308 will hover around an inch or break it for three shots with a whole bunch of different load combos. Groups only start to spread after three shots due to the whippy little barrel. I'll take three shots close together and larger groups after, simply to have such a light, well balanced rifle with me for long hours and days in the field.

Default 308

I just inherited some of my Grand fathers guns one being a Remington Model seven in .308, took it to the range shot tight groups; but kicks like a mule, the gun with scope weighs little over seven pounds
    Big recoil shoots sweet and true all said and done I see why my grand Father liked it so much. Looking forward to next hunting season.
    Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than my gun!