Thread: Caribou Creek Trailhead

Default Caribou Creek Trailhead

Does the Caribou Creek Trailhead hook into the Chickaloon trail system? Leaving the Caribou creek parking area, can I do a big loop to the north/northwest and back to the Caribou Creek trailhead? Guess I'm trying to get into the Chitna Pass area from Caribou Creek (I've never ridden from Caribou Creek-I've got a little experience around Puritan and Eureka). We're packing up to move and my gazeeter and usgs maps are packed .

Are there any nasty water crossings/killer-steep hills to climb? My buddies up from California (ugh) and he wanted to do a little riding.

BTW, we're tearin' it up on '84 Honda Big Reds and my buddy has minimal riding experience. Any good places to camp along this route? Lastly, any info on trail conditions, etc? One last question, is there another ride you guys would recommend besides the one I vaguely described above? No secret spots, just a ride that may be suitable for our needs.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

I take it you're talking about the Pinchole Trail which is the only trail I know about into Caribou Creek in the summer. Yes it hooks into the Chickaloon-Knik-Nelchina Trail system at Caribou Creek. That said, you ain't hooking in to it on no 3 or 4 wheeler in the summer.
    Once you go down Divide Creek and hit Caribou Creek you'll see a huge canyon that Caribou Creek enters. One look and you'll realise that it's a WINTER Trail
    I know some guys who tried it in late Sept. (lower water) in BIGRIGS, one guy made it 80 feet around the corner and had to be winched back against the current. They say it's not doable and looked way worse the further in they looked.
    There is no loop you can do in there either. One way in and one way out. You can't go over Chitna Pass (to Boulder Creek) on wheelers. It's a good trail going up Caribou, cross Caribou and go all the way up to Mazuma Creek. You'll probably have to winch up a few hills to make it there.
    Also, do you have winches? I've never been on any rides in there before late September where there was no winching from mudholes. Forget yanking with towstraps in that mud on top before Hicks Hill. Oh, ya Hicks Hill, it's a killer! Well if not killer then it's a proven maimer and crippler.
    I could suggest some other trails

What about riding out from the Gunsight Mtn Lodge area?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    What about riding out from the Gunsight Mtn Lodge area?

Tim
    Short and easy. 2.5 miles till the end.

Squaw Creek Trail 20 miles, pretty easy.

Thanks, appreciate the info.

Tim