Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin ON or OFF - Freezing Halibut?

Default Skin ON or OFF - Freezing Halibut?

Hi all,

Im freezing halibut. Not too much, about 25-30lbs worth.

Im just wondering if I should leave the skin on, or take it off before freezing?

Thanks,

Jonathan

To each his own, but I always take the skin off prior freezing.

Just because!

Vac pack the pieces meat side to meat side with the skin on the outside. Skin on helps to protect the meat from freezer burn which gives the fish a rancid odor/flavor.

On the flip side some guys swear that the frozen/thawed halibut skin gives the meat its own off-flavor.

Take the skin off for the packages you intend to use reasonably soon. Leave it on for the packs that will be stored longer and be more prone to freezer burn.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Unless you plan to cook it with the skin on, there is nothing to gain by freezing it with it on. My thinking is generally that its easier to skin the whole fillet rather than each piece as you thaw them.

I've been using Coal Point down in Homer for the past six years . They cut, vac pack and freeze my halibut in 1 pound packs with the skin on. I eat all the meat within one year and it always tastes great. I do cut the skin off before cooking, perhaps I'll try having them skin the butt on my next catch.

I'll be up July 11th - 21st for some fish with my wife and September 9th - 16th for a moose/brown hunt with my brother.

I leave them on until I'm ready to cook.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

leave the skin on, first to protect from freezer burning, and second because it is much easier to grill.
    you just put the skin side down, and when the fish is done it comes right off, just lift it with a spatula...no turning it... then the skin chars off the grill.
    BTW, coal points price for freeze and vac this year is $1.05/lb. skinning would be more, but last year i heard they wouldn't do it for you.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I leave the skin on to help prevent freezer burn. My parents like the skin off. They both turn out fine but I think that there is less freezer burn when you leave the skin on.

Just my two cents.
    Scott

Default keep it off

I would keep it off, there is some bacteria in that skin, although you take it off when you cook it, I know some people who have gotten kind of sick.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Off

Take it off, then the wife does not want me to take the skin off later. To each his own but I like the fish ready to eat out of the vaccum pack bag. If you are concerned with freezer burn get a better vaccum packer.

I've done it both ways. No noticeable difference. I only cook it with the skin off, so I just skin it before I pack it now.

Oddly enough, I freeze salmon with the skin on and halibut with the skin off. I guess I just grill salmon more and bake halibut more, thus the difference in freezing.

Default Skin

Skin on for me. I will remove it before cooking, since I usually pan fry or bake it.

Default The dog

Here something that has not been mentioned. I leave the skin on, for the dog. We eat fish at least 3 times per week. With Halibut (like today) I take the skin off after thawing and fry/grill it by itself and feed it to the dog. Salmon I put on tin foil after spraying the tin foil with pam, the fish comes off the skin, and the skin comes off the foil. Everyone knows the great health benefits of cold water fish, well it's very good for my chocolate lab too and this way she gets salmon skins or halibut skins almost every day--combined with leftover veggies and you have a healthy dog--like Halle!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

From the replies I guessed it doesnt matter.

On or Off whatever you prefer so we did 50-50.

half on, half off.

Thanks for all the replies! There's a really good chance we're going to eat all of it within the next 30 days anyways, so no worries about freezer burn etc.

Thanks guys

The skin is the best part! It also helps hold it together on the grill

Default Away the gray...

Obviously the decision to leave skin on/skin off is as varied as the colors in a streamer fly.

I take the skin off. I also cut away any gray fat or blooded areas.

As you catch more, and freeze more, you will soon learn to rotate your stocks thus defraying any freezer burn before it happens.

Date your catch as well.

I've been applying this method for over 20 years with no complaints.

Do a keyword search for Halibut Olympia if you really want to go overboard on the richness of food prepartion with this critter. Don't be afraid of your food processor, either. Ground to a paste and with added dill, raw egg, chopped onion and celery, and bread crumbs, this product is superior as fish balls when brought to a boil and steamed...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default smaller fish

i leave the skin on. the bigger fatter fish id take it off so that you can get soem of that fat off which can give it a foul taste. if you freeze your fish before vac paking throw a glaze on it for double protection in case a bag looses its seal.

Agree with homerdave. Stored about 70 lbs last year, all in vacum sealed freezer bags with skin on. I grill or bake it with skin side down. When done, skin literally falls off as you lift the fliet with a spatula. Tastes great. Not sure why I would ever switch, seems like a lot of extra work or money for little gain. Obviously if you fry it your needs will be different.

Default hey wildog

doesn't that skin give your lab the hershey squirts? Mine loves table food too - but boy it sure isn't good for poop scooping - and can't be good for her gut.

Nice lookin lab BTW - I have been away from my girls (dog and fiance) for about 3 weeks now...3 more before I see them...kinda jonesing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast