Thread: Klutina

Default Klutina

Just wondering if anybody has been to the klutina yet and what the river conditions look like. I had some friends go down about this time last year and all of them maxed out everyday. Thought about heading down this weekend but looks like rain all weekend.

Thumbs up

Yeah I'm definetely heading down this Friday. I've called Stan Grove at his campground, he said fishing is real slow right now, but the people who own fishwheels down at Chitina are picking up some fish, so he thinks they should be there by this weekend. If you head down, stop by and say hello, I'll be by the blue Toyota Tundra. Good Luck!

growden1

Quote Originally Posted by moosehunter78 View Post
    Just wondering if anybody has been to the klutina yet and what the river conditions look like. I had some friends go down about this time last year and all of them maxed out everyday. Thought about heading down this weekend but looks like rain all weekend.
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Klutina?

I think I have gone by that river on the way to Chitina. Is this a King Salmon fishery right now? We're going that way next week. Can someone tell me about it? Is this a drift boat river, a jet boat river, or bank fishery?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    I think I have gone by that river on the way to Chitina. Is this a King Salmon fishery right now? We're going that way next week. Can someone tell me about it? Is this a drift boat river, a jet boat river, or bank fishery?
    Ditto on needing the info. I would like to check that area out in June...wait, thats now. Well, I would like to check it out in the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default how far

of a drive is it from delta junction? lot of boat traffic on the river?

Default Yes.....

Open Season for King Fishing on that river below Klutina Lake Road Mile 19 is from January 1st to July 31st. It is a fast flowing glacial river, and it is about a 4 hour drive from Fairbanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Ditto on needing the info. I would like to check that area out in June...wait, thats now. Well, I would like to check it out in the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance

How is the road up to the lake? Do you need a special permit to float from the lake? Is there any fish in the lake?

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...ting/40227.htm

I think the comments made on the thread probably still hold true today.
    It's not the going up part that gets people in trouble ....

The website below lists the water as 14-19mph....

http://www.alaskakings.com/rafting/whitewater.htm

Default ATVs...

I would recommend bring an ATV in there if you want to float down from the lake. The road had a landslide a while back and I believe you can probably make it back in a 4 x 4, but it would be pretty hairy. I know Groves charters has a raft charter available and he takes his rig up in an old Blazer. Yeah you need to get a land access permit from Ahtna, Inc. There office is right across the highway from the Hub in Glenallen. I think it costs like $5.00 or something. I cannot remember what kinds of fish are in the lake, if you have the Highway Angler book, I know it says in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Heg View Post
    How is the road up to the lake? Do you need a special permit to float from the lake? Is there any fish in the lake?

Default Road is ok

I drove the road last year in an F150 and it was not too bad. The landslide sections have been fixed (Thanks DoT and Ahtna). There is a section of water about 17 or so miles up the road. Not too deep and relatively firm bottom, but I imagine the water level may vary quite a bit depending on time or year, etc. I always get a permit in Glenallen before heading up. If you go often, you can get a family annual permit for $75 I think.

Fishing near the lake (both in the river and lake) can be good. Nice grayling fishing and great Dolly fishing. You can catch dollys throughout the river, but they seem to get bigger and more plentiful as you approach the lake.

Regarding rafting, I would not recommend unless you are very experienced. I have rafted the river 3 times, with a guide each time, and it is pretty hairy in spots. Saw three sunk jetboats one year. All ran up on rocks and sunk. Be careful.

Where do you go if you're stuck on shore?
    Do always need a permit?

thanks,
    Jonathan

FTA thanks for the info. I will check into the permit.

Default yes and no

There are signs posted when you enter the atna land. If you camp at either campground then you can fish the campground. The West side also has some public ground that you can fish.

The shore fishing for the kings is a nice hike (but steep) so bring a frame pack to get your king back out - or a few hundred foot of rope so that you can drag him through the dirt up the "hill".

The decent king holes get hit H A R D by the guides, hiking for them is almost futile. Last year when we took a guided float trip we had to leave insanely early to beat the competition and they beat us up the river. We got our kings real fast and had to wait the rest of the day for the other guy to release 1 and never catch another.