Thread: oil changes on 4 strokes...

Default oil changes on 4 strokes...

anyone pumping the oil out when doing oil changes on their 4 stroke outboards?
    I'm running 08 Yamaha 4-strokes... a 150 & a 9.9 HT
    What brand of pump are you using? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by nahmint View Post
    anyone pumping the oil out when doing oil changes on their 4 stroke outboards?
    I'm running 08 Yamaha 4-strokes... a 150 & a 9.9 HT
    What brand of pump are you using? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    I don't use a pump. I remove the drain plug and out she comes. I get just about every drop of oil I put in.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default I don't Use

A pump either, but I don't like pulling the plug and having oil come down all over my hand, drop the plug and clean the mess. One would think they could come up with a better drain system
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Second that

I second that, Queen of Kings. You would think the smart people who designed these wonderful Japanese motors could come up with something a little smarter than a recessed plug in a narrow shute.

A word of caution, Nahmint: getting the plug out is the easy part on these engines. No real need as others have stated to use a pump. But--Getting the darn oil filter off is the part that will really test your patience.
    You need just the right type of wrench-- the band ( sinch type ) ones work pretty good, the plastic gripper "claw" one isn't bad either. But- without either of these, it's just a patience-tester...

just a thought, trim the engine up all the way, remove the oil drain plug, lower the engine down...with a catch pan under the "chute"

Default Like your thought

Ok , Olympic Runner--- no fair using smarts and common sense...

Love your solution.

Now, as to those socks of mine that disappear after going into the dryer...???

Default Pela 6000

I think the PELA 6000 is about the best pump available for small engine oil changes. Hard to find, but very good equipment.....

Default duct tape

they told me you could run a strip of duct tape on underneath the drain plug - and the oil will follow that strip of duct tape - then chute it right to the drain pan - havn't tried it yet though -

I have a funnel that has an extra long drain end (about 12")that I hold under the drain plug, so far I've been very successful in capturing all of the oil into the bucket I put underneath the funnel. I get a few drops here and there, but overall, it works - high-speed, low-tech, and no velcro!

SH