Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat or Plane?

Default Boat or Plane?

I figured this would be the best place for this question. If you had your choice what would it be? Boat or Plane? I know that they are both money pits and if I won the lottery I would have both but on a budget so what are the pro and cons of one or the other? Please explain your reasoning. Thought that this might bring out some interesting points of view.

After having lived both on the road system and rural Alaska, I would choose a boat, especially living in a rural area as most are on some type of waterway.

There aren't too many productive places in the bush that can't be accessed by boat.

A plane OTOH, may be more practical for those living on the road system to get to remote back country, but you're always restricted to suitable places to land and take-off from.
    Now what ?

Without question...PLANE!!!...Boats can't get up in the mountains!!!

Money no object I would have an ocean boat, and a skinny water boat. I would also have a 206 on floats and a Supercub with bush wheels. I really want all of those things but after looking at my budget I purchased a river boat. 13K instead of 130K it gets me out there and I can afford to feed it!

Smile

Boat is going to be a lot easier to afford when it comes to maintenance and insurance and licensing. But a plane sure is nice to get out and see the country with.

Just by a float plane and put a little kicker on the spreader bar and call it the best of both worlds

Tom, you're looking at accumulating some 500 hours of flying time before becoming really proficient in a bush plane (cub, champ etc). Chance of dying with plane is exponentially higher than with boat. We know several highly competent bush pilots, and friends, who've been killed in plane crashes. A bush plane on floats or tundra tires will get you more places faster and easier than any boat. Cost of getting into flying is much higher than boat

Boats are great, all depends what type of boat and what you envision doing with it. Boats have to be hauled, and that can get spendy trailering them around. If you lived near rivers you wanted to use it wouldn't be too bad I suppose. Still, these days it's hard to get away from other boat traffic if you're thinking you can get away from crowds with a boat. Boats are dependant on water levels too of course...and depending on what type of boat there will be falls when rivers are too low to ascend very far. I'd think these days with high gas prices a 4cylinder inboad jet on a 16-18' boat would go pretty good, be light and still be able to haul a good load. There is a learning period with boats too if you don't read water and know rivers. The big plus for boat over plane is you can immediately start running a boat, whereas you are looking at some time before hopping in a plane and flying off somewhere.
    My .02,

Default Plane

PLANE!!!!!

Nobody should go through life with out dealing with the FAA

Anybody can float a boat.

Once you go by boat and then go by Air You will never go back to a Boat....
    Tim

Default That funny

Nobody should go through life with out dealing with the FAA

Now that is some funny stuff .... all to true but funny!!!

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I figured this would be the best place for this question. If you had your choice what would it be? Boat or Plane? I know that they are both money pits and if I won the lottery I would have both but on a budget so what are the pro and cons of one or the other? Please explain your reasoning. Thought that this might bring out some interesting points of view.
    Been there, done that and have all the Tee Shirts. Finally figured out what I personally needed was the best of both worlds. So I took an aircraft engine and put it on a homemade boat hull. You simply would be amazed at where that craft can get you and how stingy it is on fuel. It offers mobility that no other modes of transport can come close to. The headwaters of the rivers are treasure troves waiting for you. You can follow the fish and game up and down the rivers with the seasons. Combine the features you need and build it yourself. You will be pleased, if you like to hunt and fish.
    PS: It ain't much count out on the salt, got that Tee Shirt too.

Not totally true, mit, I know some guys who had planes and scared themselves real bad doing the kind of things we like to do on this forum, and now have boats.
    You can have you one of each kind of boat for what planes cost to purchase and maintain.
    What akres said, airboats can get where even planes can't.

Default Boat

A boat, hands down.

Buy a cheap commercial fishing boat - for example, there is a 35' boat listed for $30k - $57k if you buy the whole package. Buy the package, spend a couple of days fishing, and write the whole thing off. This boat has comfortable berthing for 4, full galley, head, and is totally rigged for sportfishing also. Lots of deck space, stabilizers, long range options. You can get after pretty much any critter in AK from it, and live in a warm cabin at the same time.

You can buy alot of charter time and save yourself the grief of babysitting a plane if you go the boat option. Just hire out the flying when you want to go.

FYI, I have a 50' boat. So does my brother. Three of my bro-in-laws have airplanes. They occasionally get out for a fall or late winter caribou hunt, and one of them has had a decent moose hunt.

We've taken deer, elk, brown & black bears, goat, moose, waterfowl and every kind of fish and shellfish from the boat. When the weather turns crappy, we just pour another coffee and Bailey's and deal some cards.

Default Plane

Everyone should experience an engine out landing on a unimproved bush runway. Or a bear ripping the skin off a wing while your out sheep hunting.
    The learning curve on a plane is far less forgiving than a boat, and boats haul a larger load taking less fuel.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

If I were somehow lucky enough to win a lottery or bequeathed an insanely large sum of money from a long-lost, unknown relative of nobility , I would probably spend some of it on flying lessons and one of these.....

http://www.aviataircraft.com/husky.html
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    If I were somehow lucky enough to win a lottery or bequeathed an insanely large sum of money from a long-lost, unknown relative of nobility , I would probably spend some of it on flying lessons and one of these.....

http://www.aviataircraft.com/husky.html
    I have not had the chance to look at one close up, yet, but they have certainly taken the best of what is on the market and combined it into a very desirable airplane. My experience has been though, people that can afford a plane of this stature rarely use them to their capacity. It is more of an ego trip of owning one, rather than using it like a tool. They are afraid of hurting it. Ha Same kinda people that go out and buy a roadster auto and drive it around their subdivision and then put it back in the garage. Planes like this were not built to remain safely tucked into a hanger as most of them currently are, they could really be an asset if used to the max.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryHyde View Post
    Not totally true, mit, I know some guys who had planes and scared themselves real bad doing the kind of things we like to do on this forum, and now have boats.
    You can have you one of each kind of boat for what planes cost to purchase and maintain.
    What akres said, airboats can get where even planes can't.

I can't fix scared. Not even close compairison on boat to plane costs. To many variables to cover.

Planes can get to where Airboats can't even come close.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Planes can get to where Airboats can't even come close.
    And...visa-versa. That is the reason one needs to determine where and what they want to do with the equipment before they build it or buy it. One very important consideration must be, whether or not you have the time for planes. If a hunter or fisher is on a schedule or has goinghomeitis, they better not mess with a plane. Too many have attempted to get through passes or take off in severe weather, because they just felt they could not remain there because of time constraints. Weather more than anything else dictates your movement and opportunities with an airplane. Less chance of that happening with a boat. Certainly there are times you should remain put with a boat as well, but not as often. Both can scare the dickens out of you.

Default Plane

I live in the bush, have a great jetboat, a real sipper, with cargo capacity and runs skinny water real nice, eats waves well enough and it's paid for. That said, If I had time and MONEY, I'd get a 185 on floats with big old tires on the side. Planes can access headwater lakes and other puddles and gravel bars and strips that the rest of us hunting the rivers and lakes have to walk too...which ain't bad, it's the walking out with a quarter on your back for four miles that really sucks. Even in Dillingham with the Wood River lakes and the nushagak at your backdoor, there is a finite number of places you can go and it's always dependent on gas hauling ability. Planes can go to nearly anywhere I go with my jetboat, only faster and have greater range. And don't even get me started on how cool it would be to have skis in the winter to land ANYWHERE and trap, hunt, camp, whatever. If you want to really see some country, a plane is the way to go.

This of course is in a perfect world where I had unlimited cash, more mechanical aptitude (I'll work on a boat all day but if I'm 2000 feet in the air, my confidence in my wrench work is a bit suspect), lots of time to enjoy all the futsin that a plane requires. Boats are definitley easier, cheaper, and can go lots of places, and for many of us we'd be so busy working to pay for the plane, it would be hard to have time to use it, so thus I have what I have, plus I know lots of pilots out here and it sounds more like a marriage than an affair when it comes to their relationship with their planes, but as said, If I had time and money to do it right, I'd have wings.

Indeed, for many folks it is a status symbol and I do giggle a little when I have way more time on the water in my boat than they do in flight, maintenance, check ups, tying down and babysitting and all that other stuff...but that's just because I can't afford one

Well mit, there is certainly a lot of variables to cover. You can't tell from year to year whether you will have to replace an engine in either the plane or the boat.
    But consider this-you can maintain a boat yourself legally. A plane even if you are capable, you can't unless of course you have an A&P/IA certificate. You have to pay someone to do almost everything-that automatically drives the price way up. Add to that the price of certified parts and you have a very expensive mode of transportation. Now I know boat parts can be expensive too but in general much cheaper than aircraft parts. A lot of stuff you can get at NAPA. I know I'm not telling you anything new, because you have a plane.
    Everybody has their own criteria for choosing a mode of transportation, but for 95% of us an airplane is just way too expensive. Its just not doable to purchase, maintain, feed, and spend enough time flying the thing to stay competent and safe. For those of you who can, more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I have not had the chance to look at one close up, yet, but they have certainly taken the best of what is on the market and combined it into a very desirable airplane. My experience has been though, people that can afford a plane of this stature rarely use them to their capacity. It is more of an ego trip of owning one, rather than using it like a tool. They are afraid of hurting it. Ha Same kinda people that go out and buy a roadster auto and drive it around their subdivision and then put it back in the garage. Planes like this were not built to remain safely tucked into a hanger as most of them currently are, they could really be an asset if used to the max.
    My problem would be that I don't think I could aquire the skills necessary to use it to it's capacity.

If you can't afford to ding it up or lose it, ya probably couldn't afford to buy it anyways. That why I'd have to have an insane amont of money before I would ever consider buying one.

In the meantime, a boat takes care of my outdoor needs.
    Now what ?

Default Plane

How much time do you get in your boat from OCT thru MAY

You don't have; to have a 185. I wish I did. But they aren't in my budget range.

New full size pick-ups costs more than my current plane cost me with floats wheels and Skis.

Owners can do lots of maintenance on their own plane legally.

To many people have been run off from aviation by horror stories.

Comparisons have to be made on a case by case bases. You can't get the plane where the air-boat can go in the summer but you can't get the air-boat there in the winter.

People fall in the water and drown every year, People fly into rocks every year. Always will.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast