Thread: Which Ugly Stick for Salmon?

Default Which Ugly Stick for Salmon?

I have never been a chuck and chance fisherman. Fly fishing being my only known way to fish. I'm now in the situation of needing a bait casting rod reel combo. I made up my mind on the bait casting reel, now I need a rod for Kings. Which Ugly stick is the right one?

Please my fellow fly fishing friends with hold comments. It's bad enough be in this situation.

It's only due to the cost of fuel, I can't afford to get to my King spot that often.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I think I have an 8'6" medium heavy with an Abu Garcia 6501C reel. Seems to work pretty good. Not entirely sure of the length, but it is the medium heavy set up for a bait cast real.

I am looking for an Ugly Stick in a spinning rod for the same purpose. I think i am going to go with a 7 foot 2pc rod so i can take it on a plane.

The 8'6 one comes in a two piece I believe, great rod. Get the ugly stik lite in Med/Heavy two piece and you will be a happy camper.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    I think I have an 8'6" medium heavy with an Abu Garcia 6501C reel. Seems to work pretty good. Not entirely sure of the length, but it is the medium heavy set up for a bait cast real.
    Yes on the reel. I'm looking for a CAS 1186 2H or a CAS 1190 2XH in a (Butt) Ugly Stick for a rod, does anyone fish either of these rods for Kings?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default 9'0" Xhvy

I use the 9' extra heavy and love it. You all know what opinions are like. It is really not that stiff. When you have a hog on, you will appreceiate that thick butt. IMHO it really shines when you are trying to get one turned. It's a 2 piece, been using it for 2 years now, again I love it. For the money you can't beat it. I use an Abu Record 60 high capacity with 50lb power pro. This reel is amazing with how it casts. Just my 2 cents...

Thank you Stanly, just what I wanted to hear. I think that will be my choice. CAS 1190 2HX. Sounds to me like the right choice for a hog machine.

Which 60 series reel do you use?

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0035688120439a.shtml

Does it look like this one?

You should be good with that 8'6" 2 piece rod. I have had one for years and I love it. Handles kings nicely!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Hi BigAl

The reel in the pic is the regular Record. Go to abugarcia.com, click on Baitcast, Freshwater, Round Reel, then Record Series. Click on the RCN60HC and there is a good pic. Look on e-bay as well. I just picked up another one for a back up. I was at Wal-Mart a week or so back and I was picking up a spare 9' XH rod and this girl asks me if was going to buy one. I said I was, she says they're on sale. Normally they go for about $65-$70. She says they are on sale for $15.00. I checked with the clerk and sure enough they were $15.00. I cleaned them out. Bought 4, 2 baitcast and 2 spin cast. I've got plenty of people coming up this summer, so now I can outift them all with good rod/reel combos. Sportsmsn's Warehouse had one on the rack for I think $65.00. If you go in there, ask for Greg, he will take good care of you. Good luck!!

Default gas

It's only due to the cost of fuel, I can't afford to get to my King spot that often..........how much is gas in alaska rite now?

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    It's only due to the cost of fuel, I can't afford to get to my King spot that often..........how much is gas in alaska rite now?

When you get outside these metropolitan areas, don't be surprised to see around five bucks a gallon.

Stanly: Sounds like you scored BIG. Don't you think you could have left one for seed?

The story of my life, a day late and a dollar short!

Smile

I was standing next to Stanly and netted the fish for him. I can testify that it was 59 lbs. Still not as big as it is in his mind and story telling.