Thread: S&W Takedown...

Default S&W Takedown...

After looking at my forcing cone for another thread, I decided it was time for me to try and takedown my 29-3 for what I assumed would be a much needed deep cleaning. I had never done this before and was a bit leary when I pulled the cover off as its a fair jig-saw puzzle, but I took some pictures of the job just in case anyone wanted to see the before and after (OK, I'll admit it!! I mainly took pictures in case I needed reference for the reassembly). It took me the better part of 2 1/2 hours for the disassembly/cleaning/reassembly, but I got everything back together all right. Feels good to know whats happening beneath the chrome finish! BTW, I didn't takedown the cylinder completely (and I assume you can), and was wondering if there were any tricks to this. I tried unthreading the cylinder shaft to take off the extractor but it wasn't budging and I didn't want to force anything. Also, I was wondering if anyone had a resource as to a detailed diagram of part names and whatnot. Thanks

Before Cleaning

During Takedown

After Cleaning

After Re-Assembly and Cleaning

Happy with the way she turned out (after looking at the pics I may have done a touch better, oh well). Cover was hard to get back on but after some "nudging", everything is back in place. About lubrication. Wherever there was a spring, I put a drop of lube, but didn't know if there were any other critical spots...

Looks good, but does it shoot

I need to do the same to mine after spring bear is over.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Dont know, but I'm assuming it does! Action works smoothly but I guess we'll see...

Nice job there. Wasn't that rebound slide loads of fun out and back in?

The cylinder shaft is left hand threads, turn the knurled end clockwise to loosen, then it is pretty easy to disassemble.

Lots of fun these S&W's, Isn't clever the way the cylinder assembly is held in with one screw?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Yeah I was surprised to find the whole cylinder come out after that one screw! Yes the rebound slide was a bear at first. I took a very small philips head screwdriver to get the bottom lip of the spring to hold on the retainer post. After that, a small flat head finished the job. Now I could put it back in place in no time, but you definitely have to figure out which tools to use and come up with a game-plan.

Well that explains why i couldn't back that cylinder shaft out. I was turning the knurled end "loose" and am now glad I didn't try too hard!! Looks like a deep-clean on the cylinder on the next go-around.

Default S&W Take down

I appreciate seeing all the forged machined parts in an earlier S&W - it does my old heart good to see the quality workmanship and finishing that went into those guns! All this cast stuff just isn't the same!

I took my 629 apart several years ago after we both got dunked in the bay. I ran all the parts through my ultrasonic cleaner - you can't do that with a nickel finish gun - and then carefully lubed and re-assemblied it.

It's not a bad idea to take any S&W or other pistol you buy used and carefully clean and re-lube it before you use it in AK - you never know what gunked up lube may have been used previously.

There are a few tricks I have to remember everytime I take on apart but they always seem to work after I finish.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    ...I ran all the parts through my ultrasonic cleaner - you can't do that with a nickel finish gun -...
    Curious as to why a nickel finish doesn't like the ultrasonic cleaner...

Default alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Yes the rebound slide was a bear at first. I took a very small philips head screwdriver to get the bottom lip of the spring to hold on the retainer post. After that, a small flat head finished the job. Now I could put it back in place in no time, but you definitely have to figure out which tools to use and come up with a game-plan.
    I'd probably have to post a pic to show you what I mean, but many years ago I made a special tool for this job. It's actually one of the official little screwdrivers S&W packs with their revolvers, the ones you collect in a drawer over the years. I filed a rounded notch in the blade, and it's really nifty for removing and installing the spring and rebound slide. Funy thing is, with only one of those in the drawer along with lots of plain ones, you can guess which one always seems to be on top of the pile when I need a screwdriver!

Default Ultrasonic cleaners and nickel finishes

An ultrasonic cleaner works by creating caviation or tiny explosions on the surface of the item being cleaned. Hard materials are literally blasted away by these imploding bubbles. Nickel is a relatively hard brittle material and the caviation is pretty good about removing it from the base metal.

An ultrasonic cleaner is pretty good in removing a nickel finish for re-finishing although it leaves the base copper plating.

I guess you already know that Hoppes #9 will also screw up a nickel finish.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Curious as to why a nickel finish doesn't like the ultrasonic cleaner...
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I guess you already know that Hoppes #9 will also screw up a nickel finish.
    Not gonna lie....didn't know that! When you say "I guess you already know", does that mean you see where Hoppes #9 may have been used on the finish from the pics?

Used otis special forces dry lube for this job. Thought it worked very well. Cleaned the gun while watching "P.S. I love you" with the wive (highly recommend a job like this while chick-flicking) and it had a fairly strong scent, but I'll definitely be using it again...