Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yukon Black Bear Hunt

Default Yukon Black Bear Hunt

Thought about taking a run on the Yukon in search of black bears and pike. Never been on the Yukon, looking for some info or even someone to come along. Have all the required gear and can be flexible with time as well. Anyone interested shot me a pm.

Thanks Steve

I did it last fall. We launched from Circle and went up river. Great trip. We saw tons of bear sign and 4 blackies. Hope you have a good trip.

Default Shot you a PM

Shot you a PM

Default Yukon River Adventure.

When I got back from Valdez I had a PM from a forum brother answering my request for info about hunting the Yukon. He invited my friend Jason who, I also met on this forum. So we load more gear than any 3 men need to kill a bear into Danís Sportsjon and dared it to get on step. So we head into bear country, no bear hunting expedition up the hual road would be complete without a stop at hilltop restaurant and some of that ďbend over it hurts gas and dieselĒ. The food was great, paying for the gas and diesel not so good. Anyway back up the haul road, seemed that Dan was in a hurry, maybe the river was getting lower, because he drove like the devil was chasing us. Iím glad I was in the back so Dan and Jason could not see me praying. He did get us there and back safe. He just did it faster than I would haveÖ
    At the river at last thank you lordÖ Glad my wife had that candle burning. Anyway we navigate all the new construction and start to back down the ramp and are unhooking the boat when this lady pops out of the brushes. Scared the crap out of me, especially since I had to go PEE in the Yukon as soon as we got there. Well, I guess we are in her living room as she lives by the ramp waiting for supplies to rebuild her twice destroyed cabin. Still she seemed in great spirits and wished us luck. Bears are not thought very highly of, in this part of Alaska.

We get on the river by 10:00pm and are heading to camp. The ride in is more than I can describe, clear to see how this land gets into your soul. The weather is clear and hot, we are all sweating by the time the boat is unloaded and camp is setup. Dan takes us to the stand and we are in place by 11:00pm. I should have known better when he ask me twice if I wanted a heater, but nooooÖ Anyway we do a bear crack burn and settle in for our hunt. It is agreed that I will be the shooter because Jason had taken a bear while with me in Valdez. So we wait, swat, wait, swat, wait, swat. Then that nice cool breeze in our face got colder and colder and colder and my old back said please get me out this tree. I told Jason the heck with them bears, Iím getting down and making a fire he said Iím with you and at 03:00am we got down and moved back downwind about 150 yards and built a nice warm fire. The next thing I know its an hour later I smell something burning as I realize its my boots smoking and Jason asks if he should check the bait. I say yea and back to sleep I go. My Buddy comes and says that my bear is at the bait. Now thatís a friend, wakes you up to shoot your bear. We sneak up and she hears us and starts to move away I get a clear shot and put one in her broadside, she starts to spin and Jayson anchors her with a well place follow up. We then spot the male to our right, Jayson drops him and I finish him with a spine shot between the shoulders. We have scored a double on a breeding pair. The sow is an old girl with worn teeth and gray hair on her head, the male was younger but had a black face.

After a brief discussion we decide that Jason will keep the sow and rug her because of her really nice coat and will shoulder mount the bear he got in Valdez because it had some rubs on the feet. I wanted the black faced bear to try some DIY taxidermy on. We were both please but bug bitten and exhausted.

We dragged our bears over to the river and skinned them out and got ready to return to camp. While scouting the river saw these wolverine tracks.

Dan was happy to see that we had scored the double and said that he already had his bear and only needed to remove his gear from the field.

We return to camp and again tried to sink his Sportsjon by loading even more gear to include drums and bait. The ride back was just as beautiful, we had nice spring weather to include the bugs, they were horrible. Poor Jason canít use Deet and they ate him. He was dinner for the Yukon Skeeters. He was beat when I took this shot.

The old boat did its job and got us back to the bridge. We again navigated the new construction and went to the dinner for some chow. While there we had to use our Thermocell at the table to keep the bugs away. Met some people there that sure spoke their mind about sex, and politics. I wonít get into the details, only in Alaska. Bought some more over priced fuel and back down the haul road we go. Before we hit the payment the tire on the trailer went flat. I was surprised because I thought that they werenít touching the payment much because of our speed. LOL We quickly changed the tire and we are back in Fairbanks safe and sound with 2 really nice Yukon river bears in less than 24 hours.

On our drive up we passed over 20 other rigs that were also bear hunting, just shows that the farther north you go the better the hunting, With fuel prices one is better off taking the time to go to bear camp rather than making those multiple trips. So after 3 weeks of almost non-stop bear hunting itís time to Shut-R-down. I met some great friends and got in close with a lot of bears. I became a better hunter and a better teacher. I can see the change in how I feel about hunting and Iím starting to want to live thought the hunts of others. I know that I have only a few years of hunting left before my body refuses to take me anymore. Iím going to make the most of the time I have and my next hunting adventure will be a Fly-in float out in the brooks with the wife and another family that I also met on this forum. I would just say to others, donít be afraid to reach out to other like minded folks that are on this forum. I have yet to have a bad experience, made some true friends. Like most we have family coming for the summer, wifeís side. So time to put on that hat and live thru the other hunters on the forum for a while.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
    PS.. Dans a great driver, I was only being dramatic in my story telling,
    Thanks Dan and Jason for a great hunt!!!!!

Steve

Default Thanks for the update

Another good tale. Good luck with the DIY taxidermy.

Will

As always, great story and pics. Are you retired? Seems like you hunt all spring and all fall. Great life! ! !
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    As always, great story and pics. Are you retired? Seems like you hunt all spring and all fall. Great life! ! !
    Yea.........from what I see on here, your body is gonna fail you cuz your always beating it up HUNTING! Lucky guy.
    Great story. Nice bears.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I'm retired. I saved, invested and God blessed me with a great wife that both works and lets me play.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I'm retired. I saved, invested and God blessed me with a great wife that both works and lets me play.

Steve
    Man you got it dialed in. Teach me your ways

Default Yukon Boot Change

Here is a couple photos of a lesson in river mud.

Steve

Default 2 bears in 4 days Thank you

Steve and Dan,
    Just wanted to thank you both for the last 10 days. The memories from these two trips will be with me for the rest of my life. Thank you both for letting me use some (Steve / most) of your equipment and experience. The bears are just a great footnote in the splendor that is Alaksa.

I've learned some hard lessons over the past year and I can say they have truly changed my outlook on hunting and life itself.

Steve, you are a true sportsman and a very genuine person. Even with your physical limitations (which I witnessed firsthand) you can still run circles around most soldiers I know (myself included).

As I too turn in the hunting duds to spend time with the family, I can still look at the hunt pictures which I've already begun to frame.

Thank you both again...and my wife for putting up with me and 12 moves in 14 years.

When does spring bear start again?

Your friend,
    Jason

Default you continue to inspire

I can't wait to join you in the continious outdoor adventures. Thanks for the story and all of the pictures.

Default Great Story

I call your life style LIVING . . . . . . . ( Living Life to it's fullest )

I love reading your story w / pictures . Nice bears .

Good luck up in the " Brooks " this season . Kevin

Default Thanks fellas.

But honestly it's just a pleasure to host you both on the bear hunt.And truly I was satisfied as If I went hunting myself,just to see you both smiling over those beautiful trophies was more than enough for me.

And the both of you are 1st rate gentlemen and friends in my eyes.For two fellas to fix my boat,flat tire and wash it all before I woke up and not even call me.....Ya'll are welcome' in my camp and boat any time.Honestly that means alot to me for you both to do that for me.

THANK YOU!

p.s.Wife said to keep me out in the woods longer next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Man you got it dialed in. Teach me your ways
    X3!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast