Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eureka

Default eureka

Wow what a ggreat ride yesterday
    went back cameron pass to flat creek from four corners
    down flat creek and back up monument a little snow on monument
    but no problem showed the wife and kid some boo and moose
    the only issue was crooked creek crossing had a ice bridge that had colapsed so we had to go up streem just a little and cross kind of deep
    but went right through but an old timer taking equipment in will fix that this week he said
    so any way eureka is open and good to go

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post
    Wow what a ggreat ride yesterday
    went back cameron pass to flat creek from four corners
    down flat creek and back up monument a little snow on monument
    but no problem showed the wife and kid some boo and moose
    the only issue was crooked creek crossing had a ice bridge that had colapsed so we had to go up streem just a little and cross kind of deep
    but went right through but an old timer taking equipment in will fix that this week he said
    so any way eureka is open and good to go
    What exactly is the oldtimer going to fix? Are there "other" oldtimers going in there to mine besides Andy? Andy usually fixes the bottom of monument every few years.
    How come you didn't cross the Little Nel? That's where Eureka starts, the rest is just the "homestrech" to get back to the trucks

Default old timer

is andy on jacko creek if so it is him and he said he would get the ice out of the way at crooked creek
    and didnt cross little nel because other then tyone i don't know much of the other areas and with the wife and daughter one first real trip
    didnt want to cause to much pain but hey 47 miles and not crossing little nel for a day ride isnt to bad but some day i would like to find someone willing to ride with us and look a little farther and maybe share some river crossing knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post
    is andy on jacko creek if so it is him and he said he would get the ice out of the way at crooked creek
    and didnt cross little nel because other then tyone i don't know much of the other areas and with the wife and daughter one first real trip
    didnt want to cause to much pain but hey 47 miles and not crossing little nel for a day ride isnt to bad but some day i would like to find someone willing to ride with us and look a little farther and maybe share some river crossing knowledge
    It's Yacko Creek and that was Andy, real nice guy. I doubt if there is a person alive with more knowledge of the Eureka area than him. I always throw a hundred questions at him every time I see him. I'm kinda confused as to why he would be he would be messing around at Crooked creek, only reason I can think of is he can't get across the Little Nel below monument on his suzuki.
    Just messing with ya about not going further in, I get a kick out of people who say they were in Eureka but never crossed the Little Nel I don't feel like i'm in Eureka until way past the Tyone.
    How many miles can you and your family do in one day? If you can do 70 in a day I'll go with you and show you some trails in there. Any weekend, just give me 3 or 4 days notice and I'll go with you.
    When you came out of Flat Creek to the little Nel did you look upriver and see that trail that climbs up on the hills over the LN. That trail goes over to Red Fox Creek and then to the Little O, then you can take the other trail back to Tyone Creek and back to the Hwy trailhead. Around 70 miles.
    You can also run the LN all the way up to Horsepasture and work your way over to the LO and then back to the Hwy. about 70 miles also.

Talking dont be confused

dws he is messing with crooked creek just because of ice he can't drop into it and i didnt ask him anything about monument

and yes i know the trail your talking about but never been on it and it was like 100 years ago up over horse pasture with pops in the old willy's hunting

and im not forsure yet how good the wife can do milage wise as the cat i got her for Mothersday is the first toy she has gotten but her riding and the daughter driving her machine they both did the 45 yesterday ok

so maybe a little later ill take you up on your offer
    and the second picture is why i only got 45 miles yesterday i put my wife on a bar with rocks and she is like a hound dog on a rabbit looking for them one of these days i know she will find a big gold nugget
    ( wishfull thinking )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile Eureka

the happy alaskan
    Thank you for the update on the trail. We are planning a trip 13-15 June and I was going to attempt to find out what the trail conditions are like. It sounds like they are in good condition. Did you check the outer loop trail that goes north east just before four corners? What was the water level on the LN? We usually go up on fathers day weekend and usually have quite a crew. At this time our plan is to set up 'camp' at mile 132 and ride out from there.
    Hope that the wife gets more comfortable riding. I know that my wife is about the best riding partner I could ask for.
    If you are up there that weekend and see the motor homes circled stop by.

Default hey bearcat

yeah we did the outer loop trail
    the end toward 4 corners was pretty good shape
    and not for sure on the other side for any comparisons
    it was pretty wet you had to keep your mind on it or the black
    muck was going to get you but as of now it was still a good ride
    even the daughter made it with only getting high centered 3 times
    and the LN was good anyway right there at the crossing right
    below monument i didnt go up or down to know about any further
    and if we are up that way then we will look for circled rv's

can anyone tell me the what map series covers the Eureka area? never been there before and would like to ride up there feel better with some maps along

Most atv shops in anchorage or the valley have laminated trail maps with gps coordinates for the eureka trail system. 10 or 15 bucks and well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Greg View Post
    Most atv shops in anchorage or the valley have laminated trail maps with gps coordinates for the eureka trail system. 10 or 15 bucks and well worth it.

He speaks truth with his words

Default Ak terry

Hey also if they still have them the eureka road house has a nice laminated map of the trails in the area as well i got one this last trip just for more info in the area and you drive right by them when you go to the gravel pit where most people park

Went back last Sun th 15th and came out Wed the 18th. Fox Creek trail a little tore up from mining equipt. being pulled back in,A few holes to get through but doable nonetheless.
    Got back in bout 44 miles and set up camp on the little O. Got to the crossing that turns us away if waters too high and decided to call it good for 3 days of camping. Didnt see any reason to get the wife into trouble on her wheeler and spoil a trip.Me being the "tester" with the snorkeled machine got plenty wet on the back pockets finding the crossings for the others but we all had a good time and water level was coming down just over the few days we were back in.
    Seen lots of caribou and eagles and even glassed a pair of wolves one night.Unfortunately didnt see one bear or even tracks but did find old scat on the tundra shed hunting.Brought back over 50 bou sheds and 2 moose sheds for the wife to use as decoration in the garden.
    We do this trip at least once a summer and enjoy it everytime....mabey I'll hit it again in July when I get back from the slope,July waterlevels have never been an issue on my experiences.

Found a still born calf that was still wet.......Even though the water was a little dirty we caught plenty of grayling as well.

cwoods,

What access do you use? And do you go back to Monument? I might head up there this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    cwoods,

What access do you use? And do you go back to Monument? I might head up there this weekend.
    I was going to ask the same thing The way I go thru Red Fox to the Little O isn't 44 miles unless my speedo is messed up. I do know the fastest way because I've tried them all. I'll race up monument then down it to the Little Nel, then stay on the left side of the LN for a mile and plunge into the LN and start crisscrossing it for a few miles until I hit the Red Fox trail on the right that climbs the hills overlooking the LN. 45 minutes from there to the headwaters of the Red Fox and the old mine with the free to use cabin. From there it's only 2 miles to the Little O. I've done it in under 2.5 hours when traveling with other snorkled, speed demons. You can also take a left at 4 corners and come out at Flat Creek which empties into the LN a little ways below the trail to Red Fox but that isn't the fastest way

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    Seen lots of caribou and eagles
    Big eagles right? You do know what they are doing in there right now
    Killing every newborn caribou calf they can sink their claws into, they take a few bites and move on to the next victim. Hopefully some day we can blast em too

Yea...eagles are busy back there now. Found 4 other calfs "missin' meat".
    Went down Monument and from there took Fox Creek Trail to avoid crossing Little Nelchina 30 times although that is the way we go most times and then up through Horse Pasture to the Little O as you described.
    44 miles from Gravel Pit to where we camped....not to the Little O. Almost down to where the Little O dumps into the Big O is where we stopped.Usually we camp up the Big O a ways.
    Up Nelchina valley is for sure shorter distance than Fox Creek and right now Fox Creek is a little tore up from Andy getting his equiptment in.We would have been better off through Horse Pasture wich is how we came out.

Frikken eagles. Water Gremlin and I popped up over a ridge above the LN and scared up 3 of them on a boo calf and I swear they had 8 foot wingspreads

Eagles are nothing more than scavengers. I'd love to see a season on them. It's needed.

Hopefully the weather is nice up there this weekend.

Were they Golden Eagles? In Colorado they hurt the Big Horn Sheep and goats come lambing season, lots bigger than the Balds. One of these days I'm going to have to bum guide trip out of you all so I can see these areas. Don't want to try it all by my lonesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast