Thread: Bear Archery Compounds...

Default Bear Archery Compounds...

Anyone have experience with the newer Bear Archery compound bows? I'm looking for a new bow, and I think I'll be looking long and hard at a few from Bear. For 2008 I think the two I was curious about are called the "Game Over" and "Lights Out". Corny names, but maybe decent bows.

I'm looking to spend 400 bucks or less, at least close to that amount. That is just for the bone stock bow with no accessories.

Thanks, schmidty

I forgot a few pieces of information. Right now I shoot an old as dirt PSE that a friend gave to me.

As far as draw length, right now I shoot a 31''. How should you be measured to find your correct draw length, or is it almost more how comfortable it is than a set measure. I was measured at sportsmans warehouse, they basically measured my wingspan at about 77'' and said I should shoot a 31'' draw. I also use a wrist strap type release with loop.

schmidty

Default Martin

I shot a few Bears (don't remember which ones) when I bought my bow two years ago. They both shot and felt good. I went with a Martin though. No particular reason but it just felt better to me in my hands and that is what's most important. I got my Martin Jaguar set up with everything ready to shoot as a package for $365 at Sport'smans in Fairbanks and it hasn't let me down yet.

Default inexpensive bows

There are a lot of good bows right around your price range. I don't have any experience with either bow you mentioned, but I did a lot of shopping around last year before I bought a new bow. I ended up buying a Diamond Rapture and I love it. It was 399 for the bare bow.

For the draw length, go to a real archery shop,(not a box store), most shops have a bow made for measuring draw length. It has a ruler mounted to it like a arrow would be nocked, and when you draw it back, you read what the ruler says at the riser, and you have your draw length. Happy shopping.

Jake

I shoot a bear bruin quad. It's a cheap-as-dirt starter level compound, but I can outshoot my dad's PSE and several of the guy's at the range with their fancy solocam's.

Tune it right and it's all about your form and repetition. Bow shoots/feels well, though the one expensive bow I did manage to get my hands on to shoot was wayyyyy nicer.

Good bows for the price, go for it.

Jon

depending on when youre going to want it. you can pick up brand new bows for cheap as dirt when the next years products are fixin to be put on the shelves. just a thought if you can wait that long.

Default Martin

Another happy Martin owner/shooter here ! Mine is a Slayer, but check out Martin's Bengal, listed at $399/bow only. It was 2007's best bow buy. lots of happy Bengal shooters out there.

I have had a Fred Bear Instinct for a year and a half now and absolutely love it!! I had a Martin Pantera for years and don't miss it a bit now. I was really curious about these little 30" bows and love the way it shoots for me-very steady. I purchased it from Cabela's as a "ready to shoot" kit-and it was. It has also required very little tuning. All-in-all, I would recommend a Fred Bear.