Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REPORT: Charter out of Deep Creek

Default REPORT: Charter out of Deep Creek

A few months ago I asked how to 'repay' someone or people on this forum for all the info and advice they have given me. Some said to clean their boat, skin their bears, first born child, first million dollars etc. All normal stuff of course.

One way I will repay people is by posting reports. These reports will be long, and maybe boring to some, but hopefully a good read for most.

FIRST REPORT!! YEAH!!!

Well, Rose (my girlfriend) and I left Anchorage around 9:30am Saturday morning towards...who knows. We had a cabin rented in Soldotna, and a charter out of Deep creek for sunday.

With the wealth of information at my fingertips trough books, internet and even a few phone numbers, my mind farted. It was a massive fart... It was now 10:30 and I wasnt sure if we were going to Seward, Kenai river, Kasilof, Homer etc.

I did ask on the forum before leaving "where should I try surf casting between Kasilof mouth or Kenai mouth?"

KASILOF MOUTH
    So I decided to try Kasilof. We got there around 3:30pm after checking in at our cabin. What a waste of time. I walked out well over 100 yards and it was knee deep the whole time. No worries, I remembered someone telling me to try 'crooked creek campground'.

CROOKED CREEK CAMPGROUND
    Lots of people there. Well, by 'lots' I mean about 30-40 that I saw. There were a few caught that I heard of, but I didnt see a thing. The guy next to me told me he saw 3-4 caught.
    Me? Not a sniff but at least I lost 3 lures .

Next day, we head out to Deep Creek for some Halibut fishing!!!
    (thats me rocking on next to the boat. Man I was so anxious!!)

continued... (need more room for pics)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default part 2

So we headed out of Deep creek.
    What a gorgeous area. And the port-a-potties were so clean and smelled like spring! Ok, the port-a-potty part is not true, but deep creek launching area was very cool. There were easily 50 eagles just hanging around waiting for carcasses.

45 minute ride and we're on top of the halibut.

This is my experience with halibut fishing in Alaska.

OUCH!!!!!!!!

Holy!! I could not believe how difficult it is to bring up so many fish! We were in about 180 feet of water, fishing with 3lbs of weight and my arms are killing me! I brought up 11 fish in 3 hours and the only reason we left, was because all 4 of us on the boat were too tired.

Tony, our capt. even asked me:
    "are you sure you wanna leave? There are still fish down there!!"
    He was obviously laughing at all of us. He even continued to say his best most determined client managed to bring in 47 halibut in one day!! I dont think I could reel in a 2lb weight 47 times in a day.

Anyways, they were all 'chickens' biggest was probably a 40 that I tossed back out of pure confusion. Tony looked at me when I brought it up and said that it was the biggest one so far, but I was in such an enthusiastic daze that I told him to throw it back because I wanted to keep fishing!

After keeping her first fish, Rose was BEAT! She was sooo tired, she said she could no longer lift the rod. We all chuckled but understood her pain. 2 minutes after though, she hooks into something that almost ripped the rod right out of her hand!! "JONATHAN!!!!!!!!!!"
    I come and help her out be she refuses to hold the rod any longer! She says I have to reel it up!
    Turned out to be a 90-100lb skate! WOW! I freaked out when I saw it.
    One thing that really impressed me about our captain is that 1/2 way through my fight with the fish, he looks at me and says: "I just want you to know, its probably a skate. I hope its a halibut, but your rod is moving like its a skate"

How many years have you done this Tony? Impressive skill.

Rose and I managed our limits.

I got 2 halibut + a Dutch woman as you can see on the pics

(continued)

Default part 3

And this is our final picture about 8 hours ago.

We're tired, beat up, but super happy!

Im not sure which 4 of those fish are ours, but being a true fisherman I can tell you this:

The 4 biggest ones are ours, and the picture doesnt do it justice. They were at least 150lbs each and I caught a salmon shark with my hands that I released.
    Im telling the truth!!!

Im hoping my next report will be about a KING!!

later!

That's great!

Wealso went out of Deep Creek this morning. Out of 6 of us on the boat only one guy got one halibut, then later the same guy caught one king while trolling. The wind and seas kicked up at the second hole ond folks started getting sick; that's when we started trolling. aftewr catching the one, then losing 3 more, we went back to halibut for the slack tide, with noo more bites. We fished the same spot they caught an 85 pounder yesterday, but nothing was in any of the spots we tried. The Capt and deckhand were willing to stay out and keep trying, but some folks were feeling a bit to ill to enjoy it, so we all agreed to call it, after over 8 hours of trying.

Anyway, that's a bunch of good eatin'! Beer batter, roll in panko and deep fry.

or, bake with butter, lemon, thyme and pepper

Or grill with onion, butter and garlic

Or....

I'm assuming that the captain told you to throw back the skate, but for future reference they're really good eating! Try the halibut cheeks sauteed in butter and garlic - the texture and taste is almost identical to skate wings.

Congrats on the flatfish! I was hoping to get a report.

Nice report and congratulations on your first Alaskan halibut, now youre gonna be HOOKED. Oh do I smeel beer battered halibut by the way?

PS. Anything under 60-70 pounds is the best tablefair you can get anyways

Default nice halibut

nice fish you guys look like youre having a blast,,,,do you think this woulda helped you keep fishin longer?

I do.

Great Report, thanks for the details and pictures!

Default Pop that can of soda!

You have now been officialy "opened" and the bubbles are pouring out of you!

We all enjoy reading about one of our favorite newcomers!

It only gets better...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I could almost feel your excitment in reading your post. Great posts.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default I want one!

That rod stabilizer is a must-have! Please share where we can get one.

Quote Originally Posted by ripndrag View Post
    nice fish you guys look like youre having a blast,,,,do you think this woulda helped you keep fishin longer?

I do.
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

Default Deep Creek

Good report. Halibut fishing can be a lot of work. Yesterday the tide change between the high & low was about 17 ft, and the reason you were using 3 lbs of lead. There are some better tides June 10 - 14 where the tidal swing is 10 - 12 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    It only gets better...
    Wait until he's down at the confluence with reds being caught left & right.

I think when I see that scene of constant Red catching is the moment my head will finally blow up.

I better catch fish before it goes 'boom' though.

Here's the end result of Rose and my catch.

I still cant get over the fact that Rose wanted to 'buy' groceries...
    HA!

So Soda....... Are you going to leave after a few months or just have them send your household belongings up?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    So Soda....... Are you going to leave after a few months or just have them send your household belongings up?
    LOL

Unfortunately, I must go back in a few months BUT...
    Im planning on meeting a real estate agent before leaving, or finding a small cabin to invest in.
    Im not kidding. I knew I would love this place and I do! I was telling my brothers the other day: I think Alaska is its own country. The country of cool and awesome.

Im from northern Quebec originally, so long, cold winters Im used to. Dark when I got to school, dark when I left. Cold as sin as well. I remember icicles in my nostrils from when I was a kid! Im not joking! I almost miss it! HA!

cold is good.

Soda, where ya going fishing next?

Quote Originally Posted by boejali View Post
    Soda, where ya going fishing next?
    Hey man! Not sure yet. Im sitting here, with my books, my email, this forum etc.

Ive got a few days off so I want to try HOmer OR Seward. Not sure which would be better now.

Why do you ask?

i'm working a "as long as things get done" schedule this week so my hours are flexible and i've got king fever bad.....no road trips though, so probably hitting ship or downstream from the tailrace

Default great job

Good for you two. Glad to see you got some fish and had fun. Im heading down for reds on the 13th for 3 days. Russian campground. Give me a shout if your thinking about heading down that way. Id be more than happy to help you out on your red catching
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast