Thread: Kasilof kings report?

Default Kasilof kings report?

Wondering how people are doing this weekend at the Kasilof? We are headed there on tuesday. Are people catcing their limit of two? Thanks

Spotty, good one day poor the next. I haven't heard of many, if any, limits of 2. Next week might be a good week though, but IMO don't go expecting your two fish limit, I think you will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonMan View Post
    Wondering how people are doing this weekend at the Kasilof? We are headed there on tuesday. Are people catcing their limit of two? Thanks
    Just got back from fishing Kasilof all day Sunday. One word.... DEAD! I've never seen the water so slow and the fishing so dead. We talked to several others that have been there all weekend and they said the samething. Save your gas money and just stay in town (if you're from ANC) and fish Ship Creek. Seems like more action there!

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    Just got back from fishing Kasilof all day Sunday. One word.... DEAD! I've never seen the water so slow and the fishing so dead. We talked to several others that have been there all weekend and they said the samething. Save your gas money and just stay in town (if you're from ANC) and fish Ship Creek. Seems like more action there!
    We stayed an extra day after y0gee left (Crooked Creek). Landed one around 20-25 lbs just before the bend (below where the house is being built).

Had the adipose fin...and it was Monday. My first king...and I had to throw it back.

Didn't personally see any others caught, but heard of two others in about 6 hours, both wild. But, hey, we virtually had the whole bank to ourselves.

Also fished incoming tide 4PM-7PM on Ship today (Tuesday). Absolutely no action for anyone!

Maybe they'll be here next week?

saw one hooked one landed and released a steelhead hooked and my boat landed two kelts also saw one being filleted
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Fished it from May-28 th to June-1st . Spotty like Yukon said,,, But the weather was nice.

Another ditto ... overall, the slowest start in about a decade. Glimmers of hope here and there (double digit day on Tuesday and close on Wednesday of last week) and Sunday fished okay (but I was busy digging steamers). But it's pretty much a 2-4 fish a trip show for us right now and a few other ops, which is a fraction of what we normally see.

Clippers have been few and far between which should indicate lateness versus small runsize since their timing window is usually narrower than their "wild" counterparts. I guess we'll know for sure soon enough

CC area has been very quiet all season .... odd to float through in the middle of the day and see all the empty real estate.

Picked up three this last week and a nice steelhead. Starting to pick-up

there have been a few average days, but just as soon as you think it's heatin up, the next day is dead. very very slow for the first week of june. fished the evening tides the last few days... had a couple decent outings, but last night i didn't see any fish even hooked on the tide - it was pretty sad.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Unconfirmed rumor from ADFG...

This is unconfirmed from the ADFG creel.... Appears priliminary sampling of angler indicates 3:1 ratio of wild to hatchery kings.... Last year numbers where 2:1 wild to hatchery....

Perhaps no one is talking after the debacle of a floatilla on the river yesterday (today was back to normal with the "sort" day in plcae).

The fish are here and have been for a number of tides now ... well into double-digit type days like we would expect this time of year. More clippers too ... so for harvest-minded anglers, that opens up more options on the sort days or as a bonus limit on the harvest any fish days. Hopefully, it'll just swing late as it did last year and lots of good fishing well into the latter part of June ... fingers & toes crossed!

On a side note ... for those fish not being harvested, take care 'of 'em. I've seen a lot of shoddy handling over the past two days. Regs are pretty liberal here in allowing anglers to keep fishing after tagging out & such ... let's try to keep that option available by being careful with the fish to keep mortality down Don't net unless necessary for safety or to keep fight time down, no hands in the gills and certainly don't lift the fish's weight by the tail!

Good luck!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

While I haven't fished the Kasilof yet this year,the wife and I just got off the Kenai and had an incredible day.Put in at the Pillars at 11:15 (yah I know kinda late start) found the little 6' deep slot about a hundred yards below the boat launch,put out a SNG with eggs 40' behind the boat and within 1/2 hour the wife hooked into a 42" chromer.She had a brand new pole and broke it in with style.The king weighed 35 pounds and was a kick to dance with,she felt the burn real good.So she's done for the day.Within 15 minutes she's running the boat and bam I hook into a 34 pounder.Another sweet dance of about 20 minutes and we have limited out in less than 2 hours.I call that an awesome day.While we were on the water we saw 5 other kings caught .That's the way fishing should be.

Fished the Kasilof today and our guided boat of 4 caught 6, landed 4, and only one of the 4 was a hatchery fish we could keep. Not nearly as many boats today as yesterday, when our guide said there were 36 boats at one time in the People hole. Most of the boats there today were catching fish, but I think our boat had the best luck. Saw several landed from shore, too, from the campground area. Ours were all caught on spin and glows with roe. Day was cloudy, and started out at about 50degrees at 5am, but the sun came out just after 2pm and it was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Racnooc View Post
    there were 36 boats at one time in the People hole.
    That just boggles my mind.

When I normally fish the Kasilof, I think it's a pretty busy day when I see 6 other drift boats on the entire river!

One of these years I need to come up and do the early run on The Ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by parker View Post
    That just boggles my mind.

When I normally fish the Kasilof, I think it's a pretty busy day when I see 6 other drift boats on the entire river!

One of these years I need to come up and do the early run on The Ditch.
    That ya do Parker ... can be overwhelming at times with boat numbers ... certainly way more so than you've seen in your visits ... but action can be awesome at times ... and you can bounce 'em up on the bugrods as well

The peak is a memory now, but wow, what a fun week it was!