Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick, before I kill us...

Default Quick, before I kill us...

I need a quick id on these two fish. I can't find and online guide with pics to id them. Am I gonna kill us if I cook this up? Do either one of them taste good?
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks like and irish lord and a sculpin. I have eaten sculpin before in California, don't know much about them up here, and I hear that an Irish lord is junk fish.
    I don't think they will hurt you, though.

terri

Default Irish Lord

Looks like an Irish Lord to me, I'm not sure if there edible, but I know we didn't keep any when we caught them.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    I need a quick id on these two fish. I can't find and online guide with pics to id them. Am I gonna kill us if I cook this up? Do either one of them taste good?
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

I can't tell definitively what specie they are, but they look like irish lords to me. Not sure if that is the scientific name or not, but they closely resemble the less desirable fish known locally as the 'double-ugly'....similar to sculpins.

I've never eaten one but I have heard of other people eating them in survival situations though. When handling them, be careful to cut around the spines, they will sting you.

It looks like an Irish lord to me....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Whats up... It's White down at the station. Yours is a double-ugly or irish lord (not good eating, but I dont think they will kill ya). You wifes looks to me like a quill-back (rockfish) and those are fantastic to eat fried on a bun. Dont hold me to it cause the picture is not that good of the suspect quill-back, but they shouldnt hurt you. Just DO NOT let the spines on the back puncture you. I did last year on my knuckle and it bubbled up like a golf ball for a few hours.

So can anyone tell me for sure that the flesh is not poisonous? I'm use to the warmer parts of the world where spiny ugly fish = death.

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    Whats up... It's White down at the station. Yours is a double-ugly or irish lord (not good eating, but I dont think they will kill ya). You wifes looks to me like a quill-back (rockfish) and those are fantastic to eat fried on a bun. Dont hold me to it cause the picture is not that good of the suspect quill-back, but they shouldnt hurt you. Just DO NOT let the spines on the back puncture you. I did last year on my knuckle and it bubbled up like a golf ball for a few hours.
    Hey man. I didn't know you were on here. How's work lookin? I'm stuck on watch for the nest few days. Heard from the AFG guy at the pier that some guy caught 4 kings today. Wouldn't say where though. Other than these two fish we got bupkiss.

Saw a shload of fish caught today up in your area. Lots of big guys in super shallow water. I can pretty much guarantee the four kings were caught in the auke bay/fritz cove area as they were all hatchery kings or he couldn't have kept all of them as of today. Heard from a very, very reliable source about a 80# halibut caught in Icy today (more like northern chatham/icy) so I will be out there from no on I think.

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    Saw a shload of fish caught today up in your area. Lots of big guys in super shallow water. I can pretty much guarantee the four kings were caught in the auke bay/fritz cove area as they were all hatchery kings or he couldn't have kept all of them as of today. Heard from a very, very reliable source about a 80# halibut caught in Icy today (more like northern chatham/icy) so I will be out there from no on I think.
    Let me know if you want some company sometime. My boat is good for about 2-3 foot waves and that's about it. Heading to Icy would be a crap shoot unless the weather was perfect. We ended up turning back from Douglas harbor today when we saw the white caps down by the fuel farm. Ended up dropping some shrimp pots out by Barlow Cove and then fishing the backside of shelter.

Wink 586-8988

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    So can anyone tell me for sure that the flesh is not poisonous? I'm use to the warmer parts of the world where spiny ugly fish = death.
    I'd call Bullwinkle's and order a large taco pizza if that was in my cooler at the end of the day.

I have not heard of any inedible fish around here, and I doubt it would hurt you....But I've never eaten one.

Ok, the fish my wife is holding is pretty good. Fried it up and it taste like any other white fish. The other one has a blue flesh. Little worried about that one.

It's an Irish Lord and it WILL taste like mud...

Talking geez...you guys...makin' me use latin again!!!

the one on the left (yours) is a great sculpin. see this thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=31744
    the one your wife is holding is a TRUE irish lord (Hemilepidotus sp.)
    if it has 4 rows of scales above the lateral line it is a RED irish lord (H. hemilepidotus). if 6-8 rows it is a BROWN irish lord (H. spinosus).
    ALL THREE are members of the SCULPIN FAMILY (COTTIDAE).
    there are NO fish that are toxic to eat in alaska, though the roe of the CABEZON (the largest pacific SCULPIN species) is poisonous. CABEZON have been found as far north as the queen charlottes in B.C., and samsing cove near sitka.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

whoa, carpe diem.

Tried the blue fish. Could be worse, but not worth finishing.

So im guessing you guys didnt have any luck with the halibut or yelloweye?

Default I caught a

large cabezone out of the Straights of Juan DeFuca off the oly penn last spring/early summer.....they go farther south than BC. It was about 17 pounds - big one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    So im guessing you guys didnt have any luck with the halibut or yelloweye?
    No luck. It's killing me. I am a noob to this stuff so I kind of just taking shots in the dark as far as location goes. Any suggestions?

Default cabezone

as far NORTH as B.C., as far SOUTH as turtle bay in baja califotnia.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast