Thread: Pike leaders

Default Pike leaders

What's the best leader to use for Pike on a fly rod? I'm not a Pike guy and my kid wants to try it.

Lots of options
    1) Guitar string with a swivel on one end, not my favorite it can and will cut you in high winds.
    2) Salt water leader, there made for toothy critters. I like them but they can be pricey and hard too find.
    3) Good old 35-60# mono, you have too replace it a lot and you might loose a trophy if you don't work quick but it's easy too get and cheap.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

What about for floating flys? I have tryed small steel leaders but they pull down my mouse patterns.

Try Fenwick iron thread. You can join it to mono with a surgeon knot. I've used 30# with mice patterns & Bass poppers and it doesn't pull them under. You'll need a pair of side cutters since it is braided stainless steel.

Never tried the Fenwick product, but I use a few other versions of the tyable steel material. You can tie one end to a swivel with a palomar and the other end directly to your fly, that way it doesn't have such a hinge between strips, which can goof with your action, and it's lighter so it won't pull down a topwater as easily. Six inch minimum, a foot is more desirable.

Many folks will tout the heavy mono but believe me, even a hammer handle will snip through that stuff and considering how much time I put into my pike flies, I'd rather not lose one to a little shaker.

Yep, what TC daid ...IRON THREAD!!! the best for pike!!!

I have use 30# braid. It is good for a number of pike. Just inspect it after each fish.

Default Mono

I use 20lb mono and have never lost a fish and I fish the Nancy system all summer long. Just change it often and inspect after every fish.