Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King run slow, about right, or burning hot?

Default King run slow, about right, or burning hot?

Curious if others are viewing the run as slow, about right, or burning hot?

Seems a bit slow to me, but this is the earliest I have fished for kings on the kenai. Havent tried anywhere else yet thanks to work!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Most likely late than slow for southcenteral, who knows maybe they arent ever gonna show in good numbers at the end of may again, maybe the seasons just moving its way up to june

110 anglers at the Wounded Warrior fishing day today and 13 fish caught. Pretty slow for opening day of bait. The water was a little off color, and the water is still very low.

What is the wounded warrior fishing day?
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Ask Grampyfishes
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Please don't....

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Please don't....

Thanks T.R.! Shame on you Doc!LOL

Default Deshka

only two thru weir as of 29th last year there were 71 thru at same time??? last year had a week run.
    fshrman

I think ADF&G just got the weir set up the same day (maybe late afternoon) it recorded those two kings ... so its probably not giving a good reflection of how many fish are actually in the river.

Default A little birdy told me today...

Mat-Su kings have been slow to fair at best.

But I do know the derby leader was dethroned by a 51#-er today.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Let me guess....a Little Su fish? I love and hate that river at times.....

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post

Attached Images Attached Images
    The KeenEye MD

Wow. Nice fish.

Default weir

was up & in opp 9 days ago
    fshrman

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer
    What is the wounded warrior fishing day?
    Ask Grampyfishes
    What is it?...a day to show appreciation to our Veterans...a great thing.

But unfortunately there's more to the story....

First, the event was held by guides on a designated no-guide Sunday. Sunday's are days designated by regulation for private anglers, their own events, locals on their day off, family time, and a reprieve from the commercialization and solicitation of guides. The guides could've held their event on any other day of the week, say Tuesday - Saturday, which didn't impose on the non-guides. But the guides charity was not unconditional, and they didn't want to provide this charity on one of their normal "work" days when they would be making money. Instead they imposed their event on private anglers, and their special day.

The guides did this by introducing a last-minute RC at the BOF meeting, without a chance for the public to comment. Keep in mind this is in addition to several other Sundays throughout the season that the guides have already taken from the private anglers in the name of "charity". Soon there will be no such thing as no-guide Sunday.

These events have become more than just charity, but a chance for commercial guides to take advantage of free advertisement, tax write-offs, complementary products, the chance to fish personally (not normally allowed), and a way to improve their image...all under the auspice of doing a good deed. But good deeds and charity should be done humbly, without conditions, and certainly not by imposing on others. We heard alot from guides on the radio and in the newspaper about the charity event (Fenton, etc.), but nothing from the Vets themselves. Think about that. And really, it is the private angler who gave up their designated special day and the events they had planned, for the Vets. Think about that too.

Again the charitable event is a great thing. What's not so great is when it is held (no-guide Sunday), how the guides snuck that day in at the BOF meeting (no public comment), and how it is used (to improve image, etc.).

Hey, you asked.

Default Grampy...

couldn't agree more.....all in the name of 'good deeds'....

Suppose if you oppose the Wounded Warrior trip you could bring it up with the Chamber of Commerce and the Mayor of Kenai as they supported it as well as many vendors and as you said guides.

Just my thoughts...I did not participate in it by the way, but as a vet I do appreciate their (the guides) time and the support of the city. If you want I will post some pics and you can be the judge if the vets ("Wounded Warriors") enjoyed themselves.

Default As a vet myself

I support the program in principal. That wasn't the point. The point WAS that if the guides were that interested in truly 'donating' then why didn't they do it on a day that they would normally have worked??? Superficially, yeah, it sounds great....but dig just a little deeper, and it makes one wonder and question the motive(s)....not the program itself. Great program, no question.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast