Thread: Squirrels

Default Squirrels

Anyone have any advice on squirrel hunting, like how to cook them and what to shoot them with?

I used a 20 ga. w/ 7 1/2 or 8 shot this last season. A .22 is also a favorite though I've never tried it. .410 would work great too.
    Aim for the head and there is no meat damage...unless you want to eat the head but that's your own thing as they're about the size of a good piece of popcorn.

Jon

Default .22

.22 for head shots or a .410 are the best two guns.

Make a stew. Get your water boiling add small carrotts,potatoes, onoin, touch of celery, a few small tomatoes let all that boil for a bit OH and add some beef gravy powder mix along with a few beef boloun cubes. Then add your meat and cook for how ever long you care.

MMMM!!! Now I want some!

Good luck,
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

22, sling shot or a bow. I'll second the stew. Might try calling them used too have great luck using a call back in MI. Here there isn't a whole lot of pressure on them and there not as spooky. BTW not as tasty as a big fox squirrel either.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I get most of mine head shooting with a scoped .177 air rifle, just cuzz they're around the house. Knocks them good, even though it's only doing around 800 fps. Much more accurate than any magnum 1000fps+ gun I've ever shot. I'll probably try some hunts away from the house this year with my 32 cal muzzleloader.

In our experience you can figure on about 2 per person as a serving. They're not real big. For some reason their flesh is a lot milder in fall than in summer. It's not bad in summer, but edges toward bitter until they have been getting fresh food for a while rather than stored seeds.

We use them in stews, but enjoy them a lot more in a casserole made with onions, celery and browned bacon in a 2:1 mix of cream of mushroom soup and red wine. Cover and bake at 350 for an hour and a half, uncover and cook another half an hour to thicken the gravy. Squirrels are tender and sweet, and that gravy...... Nothing better on the squirrels and unbelievable on mashed potatoes fresh from the garden!

Not sure I would even waste my time on the puny buggers. Reckon I'm spoiled by huge Texas grey squirrels livin' on pecans & gettin' huge. Think it would take at least two for every grey squirrel which would equal about 6-8 red one's to make a decent stew.

For me it's not the size, but the hunting. I'm not about to turn down Sitka blacktails just cuzz the whitetails grow bigger in Kansas or red squirrels because Texas grays are bigger. I don't often go to Texas for bigger squirrels or Kansas for deer, but I can hunt blacktails and red squirrels right outside my door.

Default Red squirrels

Never in my life did I think I would be reading about hunting red squirrels. Up until now I thought you guys have been talking about some kind of ground squirrel or something. I've shot hundreds of those vermin in WI because they would eat holes in our cedar siding and get in the attic. Never even crossed my mind to eat them. I just considered them rats with bushy tails. Well, guess I'm going to have to try it.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Never in my life did I think I would be reading about hunting red squirrels. Up until now I thought you guys have been talking about some kind of ground squirrel or something. I've shot hundreds of those vermin in WI because they would eat holes in our cedar siding and get in the attic. Never even crossed my mind to eat them. I just considered them rats with bushy tails. Well, guess I'm going to have to try it.
    Probably get more meat if you just shot regular rats

I stand corrected SMALL rats with bushy tails.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I stand corrected SMALL rats with bushy tails.
    Like I said, two per person is a normal serving. About as much meat as you get off a dove.

Back in Illinois when we were kids, we did all kinds of tree rat hunting. That is until we took up bow hunting. Anyway, most of the time, we'd just bake them then smother them with gravey. Kind of miss those days.
    EricL

Default air pistol

Try using a Crossman .177 air pistol. I got mine at Sportsman's Whare house for $60. It shoots 600fps and with a hollow point pellet it is as accurate out to as far as i can shoot it (30-40 yds.) This load also packs a whallop on spruce hens, no meat damage! I cook mine over a wood fire with salt and pepper. To lure squirrels into sight, use two qaurters and clink them together rapidly to imitate their chattering bark. Good luck

Actually the big ground squirrels we have in alpine places aren't bad and have more meat than there lower on the mountain brothers. Marmots make good table fair. The "red" squirrels we are talking about are just a hair bigger and live in totally different areas than there Midwestern cousins. The reason folks in WI don't eat the red ones is that in WI the red ones eat mostly pine seeds and taste accordingly.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Fry'em

The big browns in tx are good fryed,but you need a grinder before you can chew them.So fry them in flour ,corn meal mix.Then put in a big cast iron frying pan with a cup or so of water,put the top on and cook till water's gone [ about 30 min, ] the will fall of the bone [ not really ] and be tender.

Thanks for all of the replys. I just got a new blow-dart gun and I think im going to try and use that.

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    Thanks for all of the replys. I just got a new blow-dart gun and I think im going to try and use that.
    Don't tell the Southfield Michigan PD but that's how I used to harvest big "urban" gray squirrels. (Southfield is basically part of Detroit, one of the nicer parts but still definitely urban)
    BHA Member

I "shoot" mine out of the shed with a rat trap. Takes a bunch to make a parka.