Thread: elusive bear/ also others hunting my bait

Default elusive bear/ also others hunting my bait

I have a bait going and the bears started hitting it last friday and we took a small one. Thinking i would come back giving it a week and then the hits should be really strong. Well i went down and the first bait looked untouched by bears except the honey pot was empty but my tree stand ropes were moved and repostioned .i thoughtit was a little strange but oh well i went to my next site and the bears were really hitting it. but someone had gone in andmove things around and taken my baiting permit and rolled it into a ball like for the trash can . also my friend saw soem set a tree stand up around 100 from my bait were the bear would walk through getting to it. I couldnt find his stand but i looked.

Anyway the bears were coming in at 830pm and my son saw a 6 footer so now i sat that bear 2 days from 2 pm to 1030 pm and no hit but i put molasses on my barrel on friday and sat when i got there his prints were all in the molasses with fresh poop.

so since someone messed me up how do i get this bear if he is coming in really late or super early .

Jello or honey burns. what about a propane bottle or is that even legal. I did post a note that if i caught someone i would turn them over to the troopers and sue them for damages but who knows if i will catch them. any ideas

Default Scent

Trigger the nose.
    Get some scent in the air.
    I like anise. I like anise because the bears like anise. Get a 1 liter soda or water bottle. Punch a hole in the bottom... run a piece of cotton (absorbent) string through the hole; hopefully the string is slightly bigger than the hole.
    Pour a bottle of anise (in the baking department) in the bottle.
    Tie the bottle to a tree with the hole/string down. It should slowly leak anise on the string. Be sure the bottle is too high up to reach from the ground, and a couple feet below any branches. The bears will still figure out a way to grab the bottle... but - once they're there you have won a battle.

Pop popcorn, burn honey... melt jello powder, marshmallows. Heck,
    Do it all together - the key to any of the above, they make sweet tempting smells. They are easy. They smoke, and carry with the winds.

Good luck!

Default Trail cams.....

That's the best way to catch the jerks. Date and time right on the pictures and it gives the troopers something to go on.
    Just a thought.
    Good Luck.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Default Ask DFG about the law-

It is pretty crummy for some guy to hunt over your bait, but I don't believe it is illegal. I asked the Anchorage DFG some years ago, and they indicated that the guy who puts the bait out and registers the stand doesn't get any type of legal ownership of hunting rights. Part of the trick is to keep others from being able to see or find your spot. Easy to say anyway :}
    If you do find the guy there, he's probably armed, so think about how a confrontation might end before starting one.

Default Page 27

Page 27 of the regulation handbook states: You may not intentionally obstruct or hinder a bait station registrant's feasibility of taking game by using the station without the registrant's permission.

Also AS 16.05.790 Hunter Harassment Law also covers the intentional obstruction or hindering another persons lawful hunting....

Get their description, vehicle license plate or anything and press the issue with the Troopers. Unless we press it, then it is going to continue as yous is not the only bait being abused.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default I stand corrected

Thanks Dave-
    I am glad to know of that law, and agree that our stands deserve protection-
    :}

I'm from Texas and I've used Nestly Quick (Strawberry) syrup mix for Bears in Pennsalvania so I could get pics of them at our camp. WORKED TO GOOD!!! They stayed all week... I poured over one of those malaises/corn block. They ate the whole block one night and got some really go pics.
    We use the strawberry mix for pigs down here. you can spray it on the trees and bushes and even use it as a cover scent when going in. put some on the ground and step in it or put soem in a zip-loc with the bag open.

2. I HATE POACHERS.. Hope you catch the %#@*& !

p.s. if you use the strawberry syrup let me know how it goes.

Default Troopers will do nothing

I had the same situation occur last year. As long as they do not damage or destroy your property a person can set up right on top of your station. They actually registered on top of us. (Technically not in the same spot AST said.) Pretty friggin stupid but legal nonetheless. A supervisor was contacted and this was confirmed. AST and the ADF&G had the same answer. Friggin jerks. I pulled everything out because we were hunting withour kids and better to relocate than risk an armed confrontation. We werent successful that year as it was too late after the move.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    That's the best way to catch the jerks. Date and time right on the pictures and it gives the troopers something to go on.
    Just a thought.
    Good Luck.
    +1
    trail cams are anexcellent way to catch people mess with your stuff. i have about 3 set up around my cabin and hunting area.