Thread: Bringing Over Gear

Default Bringing Over Gear

Right due to visit your side of the pond on around 6/7 weeks time for a 3 week vacation itís really a fishing holiday with the guys as we say ...8 of us coming over to fish for kings etc ect ect ...

I have been fortunate enough to have visited twice before and have to say just how lucky you lot are to live in such a wonderful part of the world.

Now was just wondering on a wee bit of advice for bringing over some gear have to mind we are limited by weight restrictions...

I had planned to limit myself to just two lenses...and one body

Canon 30d as for the lenses going for the 17-40L along with the Canon 70-200mmL 2.8IS

now can borrow a Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens should I go with the

ultra sharp 70-200 or try the 100-400

What are your thoughts?

Also any photogenic places you would wish to share ...planning to visit Homer /Seward ECT from Anchorage

SS, I'd hate to give up the extra light that the 70-200 gives you. I know the 100-400 gives you reach, but I think you could probably achieve the same by adding a tele-converter to you 70-200, and have the best of both worlds. The light penalty from the TC (1 stop for 1.4x, 1.5 stop for 1.7x, and 2 stop for 2x) would essentially turn your 70-200 f/2.8 into the 140-400 f/5.6 (worst case - 2x), but you would still have that wonderful 70-200 f/2.8 to fall back on.

My two pence worth (and remember, the advice is not warratned to be worth what you paid for it!)

Have fun on your vacation, I hope you catch a lot of fish. If you happent to see 1 large orange aluminum boat (see my avatar) out fishing on the salt water, give it a shout - it will be me out fishing as well.