Thread: any spearfishers

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default any spearfishers

here in alaska? would be cool to swim with schools of salmon or pick off big kings out of baitfish balls. is the water too cold? visibility an issue?

I think legality an issue

I think you would have a better shot at a Halibut or Lingcod lying on the bottom. Just need to find an area with decent visibility. Any of the islands in the gulf would be good like Kodiak, Montegue, Barren or Hitchenbrook. You can find good fish in less than a 100 ft, and your still in the relative safe zone for diving.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 06-01-2008 at 12:14. Reason: spelling

Default orca food

man that would suck to be grabbed and tossed like a rag doll and slapped on the water before being eaten by an orca.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    I think legality an issue
    It's legal, and there are a number of folks that do it up here. The targets I've heard mentioned are halibut and rockfish. Talk to one of the local dive shops - I'm sure they could hook you up with the folks who spearfish up here.

I freedive/spearfish in AK. It's a blast and I wish more guys did it. I run a 7mm Picasso wetsuit and a Daryl Wong speargun. I'm the only one in my area so I don't go very much as underwater blackout worries me. It's a rush diving the kelp lines and hunting kings and coho's though. Rock fish are easy. Lings will be fun once I get a diving partner and I can get down into the 50ft reefs. It's an amazing world under the water here in AK.

270 Where do you live?

270 - Same question as Fishwhacker...are you doing this in Southcentral, or are you in Southeast?

I live in Craig.

I shot quite a few ling cod around Ketchikan. I bought a raft this year instead of a boat, so I won't be shooting any fish again til next year. It's a blast. The greenling are really good to eat and rockfish are plentiful.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Try a 3 prong for the ultimate!

I live on Kauai and free dive often. No wetsuits (too restrictive); just mask, snorkel, weight belt, knife, fins and graphite 3 prong Hawaiian sling. Have any of you guys tried the graphite in Alaska? You do have to be close to the fish but what a kick to get quality fish only 6 feet or less away from you. Graphite slings are very fast and you can get them in 6',7',8' lengths. I'd love to free dive in Alaska (we have a place in Sterling) so I'm far from Craig; any guys dive around Seward?
    I thought about trying out around Fox Island when the silvers school & feed on the surface, but they'd maybe spook easy seeing something larger than them in the water.
    I don't have any cold water suits either.
    Jim

Funny thing is I just inherited a spear gun and dont know what to do with it 0.0

Fish - Not much to be done with it until you get certified in SCUBA. There are multiple options here in town for getting certified and learning cold water diving.

As much as Id love to be a cert cold water scuba diver that isnt gonna happen til way down the road (atleast 25+) until I can afford it and have time

still interesting, I cant imagine how much fun it would be to spear through a halibut or big king

How do you drink beer under water?? I don't think I could fish without beer. I think that the whole idea is crazy!!

Default i hear ya

on the being able to afford it. im having a hard enough time just getting out of whittier and dropping a line on a regular basis.