Thread: Stinger Hook on Clouser

Default Stinger Hook on Clouser

Anyone ever tie a stinger hook on their Clousers? This morning I was getting a lot of short strikes, so I'm thinking a stinger hook towards the back will help.

If so, did you find this helpfull with short strikes?

Any tips? I was planning on just using a stiff mono line to attach the stinger, that way it will stay horizontal with the fly, and not droop down too much.

Thanks!

They are really popular here for Dollies - Fly shop sells em locally.

alaskaflyfishinggoods.com

if you tie the clousers....shorten the tail portion past the bend of the hook. This is usually all it'll take to fix short biters.

You can also try trimming (thoughtful use with a scissors just dont hack it at a 90 to the tail or it wont look right) the end if you bought them.

YOu could try a wire leader if the short tail idea doesnt work and run it to your hook eye. shouldnt need to much to stiffen it up enough to keep it up.

you can also use a longer hook
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I tied some stingers on my clousers only thing they hooked was my finger they seem to have a habit of coming unhooked in the box everything said above should work.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    you can also use a longer hook
    Good point. I think that would be the easiest thing to do.

Longer hooks provide more leverage for the fish to work against, resulting in more fish lost. The beauty of the properly set-up stinger chassis is that you get the best of both worlds...hookpoint further back, resulting in more hookups, and the shorter-shanked hook providing less of a lever against the fulcrum of the fishes' jaw.

Try a mustad 34007 sz4 shank with a gamakatsu sz6 octopus on a 2" loop of 30# fireline as the base for your clouser.