Thread: 300gr vs 320gr Cast Performance Ruger SBH 44

Default 300gr vs 320gr Cast Performance Ruger SBH 44

I have some 300gr Cast Performance bullets to load up for my SBH. I understand that this is a good round for the 44 with H110. But, what about the 320gr? Are they too long for the cylinder in the SBH? Any advantage or disadvantage between the two? I am in the process of stocking up on components and wonder if the 320's would be a waste of money.

Thanks
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Some 320 grain may be too long for you cylinder. One of the most popular 320's is a Cast Performance WLNGC DC, the DC here is dual crimp groove. Crimped in the lower groove it will be too long, in the upper it will fit fine. Here the upper groove crimp will seat it deeper in the case and encroach on powder space, but you'll still have enough for 20 grains of H110. That is a bit much and 19.0 should be considered max for even the toughest of guns anyway.

Also, bullet makers websites usually give the "crimp-to-nose" length of the various bullets. Find what will work for you and don't exceed that dimension. I'm sure you're aware of the different styles of hard cast out on the market in the LBT style bullets. The WFN (Wide Flat Nose) has the shortest nose, the LFN (Long Flat Nose) has the longest and the WLN lies in between. Also some of the heavier Keith style bullets would require crimping over the front driving band to meet length requirements.

I have settled on a pair of bullets for my 44's that include the CP 300 WFNGC and the BT 280 WFNGC. These two give me the load I want for all guns and these models fit all tracks. I don't use H110 in my personal loads and my choice of powder is bulkier and I need the room . I use H4227 or Viht N110. I get better accuracy and more consistant velocity and less cleanup.

I get the velocity I want with these loads and I don't think I give up very much penetration going to 300 grain vs 320 grain bullets in my 44.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks Murphy.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

When I had my sbh I tried a variety of 300, 310, 320 and 330 gr bullets through it. I really couldn't see much of a difference between them, not that I did any thorough penetration tests.

If your gun prefers one over the other, just load up on those. If you're happy with the 300's, no reason to try something else.