Thread: Naked Island

Default Naked Island

Anybody had any luck on the south end of naked for but's and rockfish? Heading out that way next week.

I've heard the long liners work that area pretty heavily I would work the surrounding islands first before trying that area. The water temp is still pretty cold and as of last weekend it was about 48degrees and heard from a charter captain once the optimal water temp for fishing is about 55 degrees good luck to you

Almost all of the longlining in that area is specifically targeting sablefish (black cod) at depths of 2,000' or more. Any longlining activity around there would have almost zero effect on your sportfishing success.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default temps

you must be talking about surface temperature, right? cant remember but i think my fishfinder was reading about 46-48 degrees also. is there some kind of depth chart to go by to calculate water temps at certain depths?

yes surface temps, not sure about any cal. to determine bottom temps. Brian I heard from a member on this forum they moved the area in for long lining for halibut and they were heavily active in this area. always could be misinformed by I took it as a reliable sorce but could can always use the correct info if I'm or the sorce was wrong

Thanks for the info. I was going that way because looking at the charts there is more shallow water. Fishing the 400-500 ft range is getting old, especially with the kids. More work than play.

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    Brian I heard from a member on this forum they moved the area in for long lining for halibut and they were heavily active in this area. always could be misinformed by I took it as a reliable sorce but could can always use the correct info if I'm or the sorce was wrong
    It's certainly legal to longline in the Naked Island area, but it's not nearly as productive as areas out in the Gulf. There are very few IFQ holders that primarily fish the Sound. I can count a handful out of Whittier that do, but most only do one or two trips a year due to their small quota. Many of them catch their few halibut while targeting sablefish in April or May, or again in August (the sablefish season in PWS closes in June and July). So....yes, it's possible that there would be longlining activity around Naked, but it wouldn't be heavy or common except at the extreme depths that I mentioned earlier while targeting sablefish. If the weather is good enough to fish out in the open by Naked, most boats would rather be out in the Gulf where the fishing is far more productive. If the weather is nasty enough to drive them out of the Gulf, then fishing around Naked would be just as rough.

Just speaking from experience - obviously there are always exceptions.

Wink A little early

I know the concern this year is the cost of fuel. However, this early, you`ll be better off heading toward the south side of Knight Island and doing the uneven terrain around Bay-of Isles. Just be aware of the Manning Rocks identified on your charts. I have dibs on the channel between Manning Rocks(south west rock) and the Bay-of-Isles shoreline. I`ll be jigging with a white lead head jig, chartreuse skirt, and yellow pork rind tail in about 350`.I will "rent" that spot to anyone, just send me a check(wink) and move out when you see me coming!

Default Naked Island

If you are coming out of Whitter you would be better off fishing Knight Island. Naked get hit real heavy by the small long liners. I have friends that long line only in the Sound and a lot of Halibut gets taken. The first year of the IFQ a boat from Seward spent several weeks just fishing around Nake Island. You can catch fish there but it takes a while.