Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Living off the land for 30 days

Default Living off the land for 30 days

My brothers are planning on hiking in the Denali area for at least a month, maybe 2 or 3. They have hiking experience and some basice needed for survival but could use some tips from more seasoned "survivors" on what to take with them..."into the wild"

"what to take with them..."into the wild""

A well stocked RV would be nice.

A hunting license, fishing license the neccessary equipment to do both and not going into Denali would be my recommendation

When you say "living off the land", what do you mean? As you may be aware, no hunting is allowed in Denali National Park (I'm not sure about the fishing). If I were going to try to live off the land up here, I would go somewhere where fishing were accessible and small game (birds and hares) hunting was allowed in season. Furthermore, I wouldn't want to attempt something like this in a place like Denali where regulations can be tight in certain regards. I'd want a place where firewood was copious. Beyond all of this, though, I'd want to visit Alaska and do a few 1-2 week hikes first before trying to live off the land for months at a time. MANY have overestimated their skills and underestimated the dangers. Lots of them have never been found.

Default More Detail

is needed on exactly what you want to do. Are you going to carry most of your food or are you planning to really "live off the land". Are you planning to visit the bus...is that what you mean by "into the wild" ?
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Mark

This is the legacy of "Into the Wild" and "Alaska Experiment":

We're "officially" a theme park now..................

Red face

Yeah, it wont be the park as they have strict limits on number of people and days in each hiking area and you are not allowed to carry a gun or harvest game. Living in the woods for two months would be fun....if you had a cabin and two months worth of food! A rifle for protection would be nice. Some places in and around Denali the Mosquitos are horrible so I would plan for that also. Let us know some details and they may get more information....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

could use some tips from more seasoned "survivors" on what to take with them..."into the wild"
    War and Peace
    Into the Wild
    Alaska's National Parks
    How to Survive in Alaska on Pennies a Day
    Into the Wild
    Sometimes a Great Notion
    Bear Tales of Alaska!
    Into the Wild
    Walden
    Meeting Your Maker 2
    The Mosquito Book
    Two gallons of George Dickel

That's just a reading and (short) drinking list off the top of my head, which will shorten the survival time some due to weight in their packs <grin>. FYI, mosquitoes are very good eating and a can be caught with a small dense-mesh net in massive quantities. I don't think NPS has outlawed that (yet). Raw or cooked, they are darn good. Bugs and insects in general are good survival food. I think my copy of Walden has more dead mosquitoes in it, come to think, than any other book here.

I also recommend burning all cash and maps before entering "the wild." This makes things much more exciting. Good luck,

This is a tough one to swallow but I'll give some advise assuming you really dont mean "living off the land" and mean we wanna camp out for a long time. It's almost impossible to live off the land healthy in the summer in ak. Nothing is more critical than lots of dried protien. I.E. jerky, and smoked salmon. Bring lots, then if you get fresh fish great, if not you can sustain to keep trying.(no hunting season open in summer)Bring water purifing tablets like aqua mira. Filters clog and waste time and weight. Bring a high quality lightweight shelter. Teepee tents are popular with people in the know for sure.They are expensive, but command good money if you want to resell. Get rubber boots and pvc rain gear. You will get wet and stay wet if you try "breathable" boots and gear. Fire starter kit with dry material to start a fire in miserable wet conditions. I'm sure I could name more but these items I bring just to hunt for A WEEK!

Default Hiking

If you plan on going into Denali hiking. You will need to check in at the park headquarters, be registered, trained, and watch a video, place all your food in PARK bear proof containers. Then you can go walking around. Forget the 2 gallons of Geoge Dickel just carry two gallons of bug dope. Not the sissy stuff used in the lower 48, bugs like that stuff. You can camp in the park, you just can't do it within sight of the road. We wouldn't want to alarm the people on the bus, having them view your bear attack. GOOD LUCK !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Greg - There are hunting seasons open in the summer - specifically small game like ground squirrels, etc. If you're intending to live off the land, you don't really want to deal with the amount of meat that big game would provide - it seems to me that a squirrel, porcupine, or marmot every day or so would be a better bet. Supplement that with some fish, mushrooms, fiddleheads, fireweed, and berries, and I think a guy could pull it off for a while. It would not be easy nor would you always have a full stomach, though.

Default bug dope vs. George Dickel

My God Ronny, did you substitute 100% DEET bug dope for fine whiskey!? You can't drink bug dope. However, you can lather yourself up with Dickel <grin>.

Talking survival

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    My God Ronny, did you substitute 100% DEET bug dope for fine whiskey!? You can't drink bug dope. However, you can lather yourself up with Dickel <grin>.

There is an email circulating the net stating Listerine makes a good mosquito repellant. It states you can spray it around and it actually kills the bugs. Since Listerine is about 42 proof it may be that ethanol is the active ingredient, so I vote for lathering with Dickel. It merits a controlled study! Any volunteers for the experimental group?
    NRA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by fishnngrinn View Post
    There is an email circulating the net stating Listerine makes a good mosquito repellant. It states you can spray it around and it actually kills the bugs. Since Listerine is about 42 proof it may be that ethanol is the active ingredient, so I vote for lathering with Dickel. It merits a controlled study! Any volunteers for the experimental group?
    If someone supplies the wiskey I'm in. I swear 99% of it will end up on my body and not in it!
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Thx for all of the input guys, I don't think they are planning on being in the Park area , just nearbye. It was very useful to know that hunting and firewood retrieval are outlawed in the park. I heard that fishing wasn't very good either. Sounds like the mosquitoes are horrible in the summer...how about in the Talkeetna area?

Default Talkeetna

Quote Originally Posted by AcousticLicks View Post
    Thx for all of the input guys, I don't think they are planning on being in the Park area , just nearbye. It was very useful to know that hunting and firewood retrieval are outlawed in the park. I heard that fishing wasn't very good either. Sounds like the mosquitoes are horrible in the summer...how about in the Talkeetna area?
    Thats just across the street from the park and bugs can fly, YEP they've got'em too. DON"T eat bannanas !!
    I'm not saying not to bring a couple of gallons of George Dickel just that they shouldn't forget a couple of gallons of bug dope.And DON'T get them mixed up; I think drinking DEET is for mosquitos not people. BUT, IF you got enough GD in you the bugs wouldn't matter. Just wonder which would be more fun !! BUT, if you guys get up a study let me know I'll volunteer my shot glass and help.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Good luck

Just don't become a statistic and listen to other people's advice not only what they say verbally but their nonverbals. Good luck....just to let you know we have bear..big bears...in our towns up here.

how about in the Talkeetna area?
    Lots of beer here. And the summer time imported female workers are really nice You may never make it out into the wild then..or just another kind of wild

In all seriousness, you could survive a summer here if you could catch fish and REALLY knew about what wild plants you could eat. The problem with just surviving is that you need to stay close to the rivers to survive in this country. The easiest nutrition in plants and fish is right there. The problem is that you are looking at the same dense forest every day and it gets pretty boring. The interesting country is above treeline, but there is little to eat there. Why not just fill your packs with two weeks worth of Mountain House and head into the mountains..when it runs out head back to Talkeetna for beer and resupply.

BTW..don't worry about the bears so much. There are a HELL of alot of people around here that wander the woods unarmed with no issues at all.

I don't recommend trying to live off the land for any long period of time in Alaska... you could say the natives did it successfully for a few millenia, but things they did to live were second nature whereas it would need to be taught & practiced a lot to become feasible to a modern person. Hunting & gathering were as natural & everyday to natives as commuting & McDonald's are to us. Entire cultures evolved around their ways of life. Living in the woods for a long time will change a person as thoroughly as moving to another country; the mindset has to change, and some people will become downright weird because of it. I'm sure many outdoorsmen in Alaska have come across a few weirdos who have spent way too much time "surviving" in the middle of nowhere in a cabin or boat.

That said, you might look into "thru hiking". It's a branch of hiking where people spend months on the trail, and they have it down to a science. Things like equipment lifespan, hygiene, and nutrition become very important. Those are things to consider along with the obvious issues of hunting, edible plant gathering, and doing things legally.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast