Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flossing?

Default Flossing?

As an angler from Pa. I never heard of flossing. From what I read it sounds like an illegal type of fishing. Just what is it that makes it illegal or unsporting?

It's not illegal, it is the act of force feeding the fish.
    You are trying to get your line into the fishes mouth so when you set the hook it is in the area of the mouth.

It is just snagging. Difference is that since the line runs through the fishes mouth a few will get hooked near the mouth so those are the ones that are kept.

Most of the flossed fish I have seen get hooked in the offside pectoral fin or the arse. Pretty much anything hooked in the front half goes in the cooler for a flosser.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Don't get hung up on a technicality

The salmon come back to spawn and die. The state determines how many I can retain. I eat what I catch. So why is the method that important.

I have witnessed folks stand on the bank snagging pinks and just rip the hook free while holding the fish down with their boot, then kick the fish into the weeds? Their just pinks?

Alaskan fish opinions are many and varied. I personally believe the fishery would be better off if you had to retain all that were landed and QUIT FISHING after your limit was reached.

This is sure to get um going but hey, Ive got one too!

Mike

It's true that they come back to spawn and die, but is this any reason to not treat them with respect?

The method is not that important. Its the laws that I find important.

Snagging fish is illegal. Wether you target the mouth or not, it is still snagging.

Make snagging legal and I wont have a problem with snagging.

I wonder if it would be better for reds in the Kenai to be a snag fishery like Kokanee in in the lower 48. Once you rake in your three you go home.

Default Flossing

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    The method is not that important. Its the laws that I find important.

Snagging fish is illegal. Wether you target the mouth or not, it is still snagging.

Make snagging legal and I wont have a problem with snagging.

I wonder if it would be better for reds in the Kenai to be a snag fishery like Kokanee in in the lower 48. Once you rake in your three you go home.

I have often wondered why Alaska law is the way it is. If the law makers are concerned about future generations of salmon they would not want snagged fish returned. If they are snagged in the side so water enteres the body cavity, the eggs will not fertilize (state biologist told me this.) It makes more sense to me that if you inadvertently snag a fish, you have to keep it and when you have a limit you are done. I have watched "fishermen" snag dozens of reds before calling it a day. What a waste!!
    NRA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by fishnngrinn View Post
    It makes more sense to me that if you inadvertently snag a fish, you have to keep it and when you have a limit you are done. I have watched "fishermen" snag dozens of reds before calling it a day. What a waste!!
    The problem is that the snagging would not be "inadvertent" if keeping the fish were legal. Ultimately, harvest would go up, and in fisheries that are already at their maximum exploitation rate, opportunity would go down. No longer would you have a lot of the fishermen at the Russian spending all day to catch one or two while learning. Instead you'd have nearly everyone limiting out right away, thus either leading to an overharvest, a shorter season, or a smaller bag limit. Making the regulations mouth-only ensures that enough spawners will escape while still allowing unfettered opportunity.

I live on the Kenai river and use " flossing" to catch reds. I have never used a dip net and brought home 50 fish to stick in the freezer until it was time to through them out and go get more the next year. I go down to the river with my dog and sometimes my wife. find a nice little spot where there might just be a couple of folks, probably a tourist I can chat up and help him on his technique so he doesn't snag as many fish and let him know that the locals are friendly, I pull out a couple of reds and head home. I don't snag any fish. If you know how to fish for reds and you aren't just throwing your stuff out there and reefing on it, it's not hard to hook them in the mouth. You may think that all those people on the banks are the ones that determine the amount that will spawn but that is a fraction of the reds that are commercially caught, and there is no by catch of kings and silvers. Now I know that you can go up into small rivers the size of the Russian and present a small pattern like a steelie and have reds go for it, but on the Kenai, when those fish are moving through, forget it. If you could, that would be awesome. I need those fish in the freezer to help make it through the winter when the bottom falls out of the economy and I am trying to provide for my family on my crappy little $8 an hour job I scored the the winter. Just mabey we can think things through before making a hasty judgment on the way other people live. I stay involved in how are river is managed and I like to think that I do what I can for the resource, so don't look over at me shaking your head when you are driving over the Moose river bridge and look down to see me and Little Bear down there pulling out a Red.
    Fishing is one part skill too two parts luck!

Question snagging in the mouth

I know in the clear water like the russian I can hook them in the mouth. Do they bite, heck no. I have been on that water for a long time. I can adjust my wieght to the drift and I know when to set the hook when the fly is at his mouth. Is that snagging. He did not bite it. I force fed him. It is in the mouth. This is a big grey area. I find by me force feeding them I dont snag many fish at all and I can get my fish and enjoy the day. Heck even on the kenai when they are close to shore which is often the same "method" is used. I dont see flipping into a school of fish and letting your fly drift through them and snagging one by accident to be benificial to the fish, or doing that over and over snagging more fish hope one "bites". So soome call it flossing, some call it lining, I force feed them. Does this make me a evil fisherman. I dont think so but Im sure some of you will.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I know in the clear water like the russian I can hook them in the mouth. Do they bite, heck no. I have been on that water for a long time. I can adjust my wieght to the drift and I know when to set the hook when the fly is at his mouth. Is that snagging. He did not bite it. I force fed him. It is in the mouth. This is a big grey area. I find by me force feeding them I dont snag many fish at all and I can get my fish and enjoy the day. Heck even on the kenai when they are close to shore which is often the same "method" is used. I dont see flipping into a school of fish and letting your fly drift through them and snagging one by accident to be benificial to the fish, or doing that over and over snagging more fish hope one "bites". So soome call it flossing, some call it lining, I force feed them. Does this make me a evil fisherman. I dont think so but Im sure some of you will.
    Yes Chuck you are the Anti Christ!!!
    I have no problem with that way of fishing, it's when "anglers" throw in the rip, wrist flick, jerk or whatever you want to call it at the end of the drift that changes from lining/flossing to snagging.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I have no problem with that way of fishing, it's when "anglers" throw in the rip, wrist flick, jerk or whatever you want to call it at the end of the drift that changes from lining/flossing to snagging.
    Exactly.......

Default Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I have no problem with that way of fishing, it's when "anglers" throw in the rip, wrist flick, jerk or whatever you want to call it at the end of EVERY flippin' drift that changes from lining/flossing to snagging.
    There.... fixed it for ya!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Talking

I hear you. Im not a gripper and ripper. I do know that you can sure here that *sound* a ripper makes at the end of the drift. I dont find the twitch to be that helpfull to me either. If i cant sight fish them it is by feel with my finger holding the line during the drift waiting for that bump. Every time I hear that scluruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup that a ripper makes my head snaps no matter what. Im always looking for some type of fishing hook and lead to be flying by shortly. I try to stay way away from those guys.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Snagging limited to snagging season. What's to disagree with?

I'm completely unfamiliar with this method. But if everyone agrees that it's tantamount to snagging, then what's the big deal that they're moving that method to the snagging season?

Personally, I harvest almost all of my kings by snagging...last year I got like 15 and out of those, 3 came off of lures. But if you're snagging, then do it in the snagging season.

There is no snagging season for reds and the limit for Kings is 5 per year.

I don't fish reds. I fish the terminal harvest area kings. limit is 4 per day.

I guess I went back to commenting on the original post, vs the more recent comments regarding snagging/flossing/fishing for reds....

Default snag

if youre hook is sharp there is no need to rip.... the fish will be hooked in the mouth most of the time if your drift is good and youre setup is rite.I fished last summer for 9 day and didnt snag any reds....got them all in the mouth..... I guess i just got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessals Fishing View Post
    and brought home 50 fish to stick in the freezer until it was time to through them out and go get more the next year. I need those fish in the freezer to help make it through the winter when the bottom falls out of the economy and I am trying to provide for my family on my crappy little $8 an hour job I scored the the winter.
    You need those fish to make it through winter to toss them out come spring??????

That makes no sense.

You can buy can food or ramien noodles that doesn't cost anything to freeze to store and not have to throw them out the following spring because they're freezer burned.

Don't take them I'm singling you out, because that's not my intention. I know to many people that are bent on getting "their" limit to fill the freezer, only to end up throwing them out the following spring due to freezer burn, whatever, and they do this year after year. What a waste.

Take what you need within the limits of the law, but need what you take.

Flossing is pretty much the only way to catch unwilling fish in medium current streams or rivers. This is because salmon stop feeding once entering fresh water and especially reds will not hit lures. As long as youre not rippin its perfectly legal and 95% of the red salmon fishing community does it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast