Thread: Moose Hay Flats Hunt

Default Moose Hay Flats Hunt

Wondering if anybody has ever hunted the Palmer Hay Flats for moose? Thinking about heading down there for opening day. I know it will more than likely be very swampy but any advice is appreciated. If it looks like a too difficult hunt, maybe Point Mckenzie area???
    Thanks,
    Johnny

Thumbs up Hay Flats

If you have a canoe you might get in allright. You can access Rabbit Slough, or if you know which road off Fairview Loop. The moose thin out by hunting season. They're thick in the winter. Point McKenzie has a few lakes in and around the road and the moose move pretty good around dark. Maybe you'd get lucky and see a legal bull.
    Good Luck, Riverlover

Default Flats

Yep,
    I live just off of Fairview Loop. I could be down there in a coupla minutes. That would be an easier drive. I was just looking at where I may have a better chance of success. This is definitely a meat hunt, and not a trophy hunt.
    Thanks again,
    Johnny

I'm certainly no expert on the area, but I know a guy who hunted it on opening day a few years ago. He didn't get one, but he saw/heard two get shot in the first hour of opening day (I believe both were spikes). If you're serious about this, I would go scout it before the season opens. If you find a legal bull, be nearby before first light and ready to go. Maybe there won't be any competition, but with opening day falling on a weekend, I wouldn't count on being alone.

-Brian

Just got back from my friend's house checking out the small rack from the bull he shot on the flats today. A fork-horn bull.

Nice! Glad to hear that someone got out there and connected on this rather nasty opening day.

-Brian