Thread: Moose shed or moose dead?

Default Moose shed or moose dead?

We found this shed in a super double secret spot today while out looking for bears. What I am wondering is how do sheds normally break off? We found this one toward the bottom of an avalanche on top of the snow. It looks like it broke off with a bit of bone attached. Does anybody have an opinion if this is normal or is the rest of the moose still buried under a bunch of snow?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default he's dead

Just from seeing sheds, I'll bet that came from a dead moose. Most sheds are smooth on the bottom, but there is like a piece of the skull still attached so I bet it came from a carcass.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

It looks a little abnormal to me, but it would be even more abnormal for a moose to be killed by an avalanche while still having antlers. It usually takes a few months of winter for avalanche conditions to develop, and by then most bulls have lost their headgear. Stranger things have happened, though.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    We found this shed in a super double secret spot today while out looking for bears.
    Might take some research, tell me where that secret spot is and I'll check it out.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I myself have not figured out if it is "super double secret" because of the moose, or because of the bears, but either way it sounds good. If the moose is still up and kickin, he should be legal this fall. We might head back after the snow melts a bit more and see if we can find a carcass or the other half. Until then, it will have to remain super double secret. The other thing that crossed my mind is if I get there when just a tuft of fur is poking out of the snow, maybe there is a quarter or a backstrap that is still salvageable

Question dead or alive

That moose shed is normal . The moose dropped that horn naturally . I have found sheds before that had a little piece of bone attached to the pedestal . Most come smooth though . I found deer sheds that had bone attached too . Let us know when the snow melts if there were remains of a moose .

If that moose is dead, I guarantee that shed isn't evidence of his demise. That is a very typical example of a shed antler. I have seen deer in captivity lose an inch of their skull when they shed, and regrow the bone in time to grow another set of antlers.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

Default Definitely still alive

I've seen many elk shed antlers where they shed had a bit of the pedical on it ike that. If you get a chance to look at an animal after he's shed many of them, especially the big ones, have an indent on the skull at the pedical. You'll have to get your backstraps the old fashioned way!

Default He's alive...

That's not abnormal for a moose - or any critter that sheds antlers. True, most sheds are smooth, but there are many that just aren't ready to come off and for one reason or another the moose gets rid of it and parts of the skull come with it. I have sheds from the same bull from multiple years and one year he had that and the next year he was fine.

Go kill him this fall and show us what he looks like! Keep in mind though - most moose shed in December/Jan which usually isn't where they are during the season, you might have to track him down if that's possible.

I'll be sure and post pics of the big guy this fall. It did look like there were a ton of moose in there this winter. I understand winter and summer/fall ranges are different, but for the sake of morale, I'm going to count on him to basically be standing where the shed was laying on opening morning.

If you find the rest of the skull near the antler.......he's dead!....otherwise.. just a drop

I looked at a shed I found this year it appears to have more bone on it than yours. I know its a shed because I watched it fall off. I'll put some pictures up when I find my camera.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

It's a shed. If you find the other side, it will probaly be smooth. Usually, you can tell if it was the first antler dropped, just by how smooth the but is. After the first one drops, they usually knock the second one off. Same with deer and elk. When you find one that is smooth, if you look in a 100 yard radius, there is a good chance you'll find the second one around some heavy brush, alders, or anything they can knock it off with. Looks like a nice one. How about showing a picture of the whole shed.

Default please

It is shed, would you mind showing a picture of the whole antler?

Looks like a natural shed to me. I'm not sure but I think I found the other side, and I thought that place was "double secret" too, hugh. maybe you can send me the GPS readings and I'll let you know for sure........