Thread: Thanks for 35 whelen load data, brass and tips

Default Nice Bear, thanks for 35 whelen load data, brass and tips

35 Whelen 250grn Hornady RN through the lungs at 40 to 45 yds then he ran 75 yds jumped over a downed tree and collapsed. He had 20 to 30 seconds that he could have put the hurt on me. He is 5/8 off in the skull from Boone and Crockett. Getting him 4 miles out of the woods was an all night job. Still catching it for 4 miles in the woods alone and bear hunting alone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by akrifle; 06-01-2008 at 01:23. Reason: sp

Nice bear. I'd say you were okay hunting alone the 35 Whelen was plenty of comforting company to have along.

Nice bear, wish I could stalk'em here in Michigan or Ontario but the terrain isn't well suited for it. Got three bears with a recurve, but have not hunted them for about tens years, I think its time to remmity that camping and hunting bears is fun.

Favorite 35's are: 35 Whelen, 358 Win, and a "properly loaded" 35 Rem.

Did you have a chance to track out the wound channel or recover the bullet. Lots of folks snub their noses at "lowly" Hornady's, especially the RN, and hype newer premiums as the only bullets that will hold together. Whelen velocities are ideal for Hornady construction in my experience, so I happen to be a fan for MVs below 2800 or so.

AKRIFLE:

I have loaded some of the 250 Round Noses, I obtained from you, in my 350 Rem mag.. I am just wating for a chance to shoot a few.... Things have been hectic trying to get the guest cabin and property ready for summer... Plus getting the float-plane ready. Not that I can afford to put gas in her....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Bear vs Hornady

Floatpilot: the bear load was the load (IMR 4064 and Hornady 250 RN) that you gave me, I think I increased the powder 1/2 grain.......still not super fast, but a 250 grain pumpkin doesn't need to be. I have not loaded the 275 grain bullets that you swapped me, nor have I tried out your pet 6.5 Swede rnds. Things are hectic here too. I'll let you know.

Brown bear: the slug departed the other side and went AWOL. Although a big bullet, it did not make a large exit hole like a super fast 180 grain pointed bullet. In fact, I had to remember what side I shot..........the exit was only a very slightly larger that the entry. I found a small piece of copper in the exit would. I also like round nose bullets, and the old silver tip bullets.
    Two noteworthy things: The model 700 .35 Whelen loaded a little warm with a 250 grains bullet has very, very little recoil (even on a bench at the range) and the bear was tough to run 75 yds considering the shot placement. I have to wonder what a brown bear could do to me in those 20 seconds.

Anyway, while fighting cabin fever this winter I went out and bought an expensive box of Barnes .30 cal 180gr TSX tripple shock copper bullets. I plan to use them for longer range shots while hunting the tree line for brown bears. Guess I gotta get out the ultra violent recoil model 70 Win 300 Mag. and see if these bullets are as good as some African guides say.

You gotta love those heavy bullets at moderate velosity. I used to shoot a lto of those 250gr Hornady RN out of my bolt whelen, when I couldn't find them locally I tried a box of Speer 250gr hot core. I have been very impressed with them. I've been shooting them out of a remington 750 woodsmaster at 2380fps with varget. I recovered one today, shot about 100 yards thru a water jug and into a 12" drift log, bullet was laying in the dirt on the other side of the log. It weighed 232gr, not bad for a "cheap" bullet. who says you need premium bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Did you have a chance to track out the wound channel or recover the bullet. Lots of folks snub their noses at "lowly" Hornady's, especially the RN, and hype newer premiums as the only bullets that will hold together. Whelen velocities are ideal for Hornady construction in my experience, so I happen to be a fan for MVs below 2800 or so.
    So many people have jumped on the +3000fps wagon they forgot or just don't know how effect regular bullets specialy round nosed ones are at say between 2000 and 2600 fps. One of my favorite bullets is the 200gr rem CoreLokt RN loaded in the 35rem at 2200fps. Its shock & ah for deer black bears and that old EXPRESS load has taken many eastern moose many times many. Conley precission loads it in the 358win at 2500fps so I guess it will handle that speed at least for deer. I wish remington still made there 250CLRN and threw in a 225CLRN as well.

Has anyone shot the 200gr CLRN in say a 356win/358win/whelen and how'd they work?