Thread: Velocity From 2 Identical Revolvers

Default Velocity From 2 Identical Revolvers

I recently aquired 2 S&W M-29-2 revolvers both have pinned barrels and recessed cylinder chambers. Today I chronographed them along with a Ruger Redhawk

Both of the S&W revolver have 6 1/2" barrels and the Redhawk has a 5 1/2" barrel. The ammo used fro testing was the Winchester 240 grain Jackted Soft Point

The S&W with the wood grips Chrono'ed 1323 FPS
    The S&W with the Hogue grips Chrono'ed 1460 FPS
    The Redhawk chrono'ed ---------------- 1380 FPS

The S&W Revolvers

My curiosity got the beter of me and I began to search for the reason why one of the S&W revolvers was 137 FPS faster than the other one. First I opend the cylinders and looked at the forcing cone in each revolver and VIOLA there it was plan as day the forcing cone in the S&W with the wood grips was approximately 2 1/2 times deeper than the one with the Hogue grips.

The large forcing cone (the wood gripped one) the slower one

The smaller forcing cone (the Hogue gripped one) the faster one

The only way to know the velocity of ANY firearm is to chronograph it. There is no other way.

Sounds like the Smith with the longer forcing cone was altered for shooting lead bullets. I shoot mostly lead and got the reamer so I could do it myself. The tradeoff for me was less leading against less velocity. I'm very happy with the reduced leading in all my various Smith, Colt and Ruger 357's, 44's and 45's, but then again, I'm not worried about 150 fps more or less. It has never made any difference or proved a handicap on any species of game I've shot with them.

But I agree that chronies are ever so useful.

BTW- Here is the forcing cone reamer from Brownell's. They call it a throating reamer, but the description will tell you what it accomplishes. I wouldn't be a lead shooter if I hadn't done it to my revolvers.

Hmmm
    My 29-4 has the long style forcing cone (stock as far as I know) but I don't think it's a "slow" gun.
    It's got an 8"3/8" barrel & velocites with a 320 cast bullet run as follows, all charges with H-110.20.0gr = 1278. 20.5 = 1346. 21.0 = 1362. 21.5 = 1362 (I assume 21.0 is about all that's going to burn in my barrel. Checked that twice, & those figures are 5 shot averages). I settled on 20.5gr.
    From what I've heard, those (my) velocities are fairly normal.
    Maybe Murphy can comment.
    I'm wondering how your barrel-to-cylinder gap is, & if both barrels would mice the same. Tight barrel & more cylinder gap on the slow gun???
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I'm in the same boat as Vance. Stock as far as I know and it seems I have the long forcing cone as well. Is this something that comes stock or has this revolver been modified? Pic below

That doesn't look all that long, certainly not like the long 10 degree forcing cone produced by my reamer. It's about half as long as mine. I'm betting it's factory, but the tool marks are suspicious. Mine are clean and smooth and greatly cut down on barrel leading, while I'd expect the tool marks on yours to add to leading.

I haven't bought any new 44s in a few years (mostly cuzz my wife figures that 6 is plenty), so I don't know if there's been a change in specs for forcing cones. With the emergence of heavy lead bullets, I wouldn't be surprised if the factory had decided to compromise between long and short (which is what this looks like). Another factor, I don't even shoot a gun before reaming the cone, so I can't rightly remember what my older ones looked like originally.

Default Hmmmm.

That doesn't look all that long, certainly not like the long 10 degree forcing cone produced by my reamer. It's about half as long as mine. I'm betting it's factory, but the tool marks are suspicious. Mine are clean and smooth and greatly cut down on barrel leading, while I'd expect the tool marks on yours to add to leading.

I haven't bought any new 44s in a few years (mostly cuzz my wife figures that 6 is plenty), so I don't know if there's been a change in specs for forcing cones. With the emergence of heavy lead bullets, I wouldn't be surprised if the factory had decided to compromise between long and short (which is what this looks like). Another factor, I don't even shoot a gun before reaming the cone, so I can't rightly remember what my older ones looked like originally.

Talking

Are you sure it's not the grips???

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    Are you sure it's not the grips???
    Thats what I was going to say originally. I've got Pachmayr but man, for a few bucks and a few hundred FPS, Hogue may be the way to go!!