Thread: George Lake

Default George Lake

I'm looking for some info on how difficult it is to get into george lake by jet boat. I know you have to take a small slough into it. How far is it until you get to the lake? I'm wondering how the fishing would be this time of year and any "must haves" I might need. Thanks for your help guys.

Let's see....you put in at the bridge, the outlet stream is not too far downstream.

When I went (granted it was like 10 + years ago) there was a beaver dam in the middle of the outlet stream....I've heard that it has since been removed.

The main thing I would say is that you turn off your motor once you can see that you're about to go into the trees (the first part of the outlet stream is open and grassy). Wait to hear if someone is coming....

The stream was very narrow and shallow when I went (mid-summer; so that might've influenced the water level). But it was shallow to the point you would've had to have been on step and not made any mistakes or things would've sucked...

We caught most of our fish on the opposite side of the lake, but I guess they are where you find them (my friends said when they went, they lit'em up right around the outlet stream...)

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default how shallow

is shallow. i know it is going to vary depending on time of year but what would the summertime average depth be. i also hear that there are a couple really sharp turns involved.

The ramp is the harest part. It is a fourwheel drive ramp that when the boat is backed in to the water it is only a couple of feet and the it drops off deep. Pretty nerve racking the first time you pull up to it. First time in seems to take foreve but it is not really that far. There are only a few times that bigger boats can make it in. I have found that waiting till the second week of June or later are better fishing. This year with river very low the trip might be very tough utill the Tanana comes up alittle.

thanks for the help guys. Any estimate on how long the slough is until you get to the lake??

Haha...funny how I overlooked the ramp. Probably because I didn't have to deal with it....Yeah, the water is moving pretty good at that boat launch.

More on what I remember:

If you look on google maps you can see the slough is relatively straight for a good ways. In all, maybe 2 miles or less? Not very far, but it's the area after the straight part that everyone gets concerned wiht..I remember looking into the water and seeing rocks with aluminum scrapes on them. So apparently that area gets low as well....

If I remember correctly, there were a couple of areas where it was 4-6 inches deep as well as several sharp turns....

Guys, there's got to be someone better than me for info on George Lake! That was like 12 years ago!

Someone else should feel free to speak up....