Thread: Black Bear in the Chitina Valley

Default Black Bear in the Chitina Valley

Anyone ever hunted Black Bear in the Chitina Valley? I'm thinking of floating the Chitina this June, and the possibility of taking a bear would be cool.

Smile good luck

Floating the Chitina? Okay I am jealous. If I had the time and money that would be awesome. I love that country. I have sheep hunted there and seen no bears. But many people harvest grizzlys out of there. Black bears I have seen plenty along the McCarthy road in the Fall. Saw one walking the road and several on hillsides above the road. We did harvest a large black bear on one of the tributaries of the Chitina if that helps...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Cool, would you mind sharing which tributary it was? My plan was to hike into the alpine valleys that feed into the Chitina and glass up there.

Well we got the black bear up the Nizina past McCarthy so you wont be near there on your float. But there are tons of bears in the Wrangells, both grizzlys and black. They will probably be on the hillsides and side drainages. when we hunted the chitina we didnt see any bears, but I am sure there are plenty.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I love it, but i don't have chance to go there.

Thanks, it's come down to either floating the Skwentna River or the Chitina. It will cost quite a bit more to fly up to the headwaters of the Skwentna than it would to be dropped off at the Chitinia Glacier, but there might be more bears up there, I don't know though.