Thread: Seward Halibut/King ???

Default Seward Halibut/King ???

I have never fished out of Seward. In the interst of time, money and adventure I thought I might try something new. I was thinking of combo Kings/Halibut.....
    Can anyone tell me how it rates compared to Homer/Nikiski?
    Can anyone recomend a charter captain out of Seward?
    Thanks for any information.

Captain jimmy on the perseverance chartered out of the fish house best in the biz and a hell of a nice guy with patience go out with him for the past 5yrs and scheduled again in august of 08 can't tell ya the differance in rate's cause the way gas is on the rise everybody might be different

Smile Thanks...

and to clarify, I wanted to know how the fishing is compared to down the Kenai penninsula. Is it just as good, better or less successful.

Seward has very good fishing, but I don't know if anyone does a King Salmon and Halibut combo down there. Silvers and Halibut - yes, and it is a real hoot with all the silvers in the bay. I think the halibut fishing is slightly better down around Homer than it is in the immediate Seward area. But, nothing beats some of the areas outside of Ressurection Bay as fishing is excellent around Mont. Island. Just my two cents.....

There are definitely some folks out of Seward running king/halibut combos; in fact I'm on one next Thursday. I'll be happy to post results if you're interested. The guys I'm fishing with actually pulled several 1 king/2 halibut limits for their boats last season, and even a couple of 2/2 limits...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Nickster

I would love to here about your day out of Seward!
    Thanks

Default Seward

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I would love to here about your day out of Seward!
    Thanks
    Me too, thanks
    NRA Lifetime Member

Went Out Trolling Out At The Bluffs Today, One King It Was Very S-l-o-w And Lots Of Boats.... Hope Somebody Has A Better Report..
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default trip report

Six of us went out on the Profish-N-Sea yesterday on a halibut/king salmon combo. Apparently, the waters continue to be a bit colder than normal for this time of year, as has been the trend the last couple years. Not a lot of people had tried for kings yet, from what we heard. However, we did pretty well, ending up with a nice mixed-bag of fish. Limits of halibut with a bunch of chickens, a couple pushing 30, and one about 75 or 80; a couple of fat 5-6 pound black rockfish; a couple of lings that we tossed back; a little kelp greenling; and, to finish the day, two gorgeous feeder kings at about 30 and 25 pounds. The larger king was a white king. All in all, a fine early season combo.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Homer vs. Seward

I was in Homer yesterday (Thursday) checking out halibut fishing prices. I was told by 1 of the reps that Seward's limit on halibut was decreased from 2 to 1 this year and that Homer is still 2 fish per person limit. They said that all the waters in the 2C area were decreased and that included Seward.

I had not heard that before, can anyone confirm this? thanks.

My family and I have gone to seward almost every year for the last 10. Every year when I head to seward for a charter my friends always try to convince me to go to homer. I don't see any reason to because I've never had a bad experience, or been skunked outta' seward. Way to go charters is who i've used. The captain, Wally, used to work for crackerjack (also a good outfit) We've always had really good luck with Wally, and a helluva guy too. He just bought a new boat and can do overnights - i'll post a report here when I come back from my jun 19th trip.

We usually do one day silver trip, then when we limit out we'll catch something deep before we head in. There are plenty of combo trips in seward, salmon/halibut, salmon/ling cod... Just make sure whatever outfit you use you get outside of resurrection bay - that way you have more opportunity and can keep hold of those lings.

Quote Originally Posted by monello View Post
    I was in Homer yesterday (Thursday) checking out halibut fishing prices. I was told by 1 of the reps that Seward's limit on halibut was decreased from 2 to 1 this year and that Homer is still 2 fish per person limit. They said that all the waters in the 2C area were decreased and that included Seward.

I had not heard that before, can anyone confirm this? thanks.
    The person who told you this is either misinformed or intentionally misleading you; hopefully the former. The limit on halibut in Southcentral AK, which includes waters out of Resurrection Bay through PWS areas is still TWO fish a day.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Six of us went out on the Profish-N-Sea yesterday on a halibut/king salmon combo. Apparently, the waters continue to be a bit colder than normal for this time of year, as has been the trend the last couple years. Not a lot of people had tried for kings yet, from what we heard. However, we did pretty well, ending up with a nice mixed-bag of fish. Limits of halibut with a bunch of chickens, a couple pushing 30, and one about 75 or 80; a couple of fat 5-6 pound black rockfish; a couple of lings that we tossed back; a little kelp greenling; and, to finish the day, two gorgeous feeder kings at about 30 and 25 pounds. The larger king was a white king. All in all, a fine early season combo.
    Nice report. How far out did you go? Mont. Isl? I am heading out this weekend.