Thread: .450 Marlin LeverEvolution

Default .450 Marlin LeverEvolution

These have finally arrived in Fairbanks. I grabbed 2 boxes at the Sportsman's Warehouse right after they were put on the shelf. Now we'll see what all the hoopla about these things is.

Default Still don't get it

Giving up 25 gr of bullet weight, gaining 125 FPS, losing the nice wide meplat... can't see the positive offset for that one... shiny red tip if you drop it in the grass???
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I'm not saying there may not be ballistic advantages but I didn't buy the GG for it's stunningly, table top flat ballistics.
    But if it floats your boat - have at it. Worst that will happen is you'll go shooting... Maybe I should get some!?!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Wink

I had also picked up a box of .450M 430 gr. Buffalo Bore at another place earlier. So you're right, I guess I just have to go shooting.

Default Now that would be a nice bullet.

I like the sounds of that 430gr Buffalo bullet. My one complaint about the .450 Marlin has been that they didn't offer a 400gr factory load for it.

I have a Winchester Model 94 Timber in .450 Marlin that's smaller and lighter than the guide gun and I absolutely love it. I'll be taking it on it's 2nd black bear hunt this spring. It totally flattened the first one I shot.

We have been looking into the LeveRevolution bullet for use at work (bear protection). Some of our offices have purchased Marlins because they are easy to carry, compact and either left or right handed people can use them. We received info back from Hornady and it looks good. This is what a Hornady technical rep said:

"The bullet has an extremely thick jacket in the shank region to ensure deep penetration and high weight retention. We have tested these bullets at a wide range of velocities in ballistic gelatin and have killed two Bison with them
    in a 45-70. We have found that these bullets leave very large wound channels and have very deep penetration with typically 85% + weight retention. One of the Bison we killed was shot through both shoulders
    with the bullet under the hide on the off side. The other was shot nearly end to end with the bullet penetrating nearly 5 feet of animal and taking out his heart and one lung. If you did not feel handicapped with the old 350 gr Flat Point the 325 Evolution will substantially outperform that bullet for wound cavity, and penetration."

I am going to try them. I understand the concern about them but if what he says is correct it should make a wonderful addition to the bullet selection for both calibers. The loadings also make the 45/70 a 200 or 250 yard rifle with very little holdover. Jim

I'm gonna give them a try at the range this weekend and see how they work. If they're half as good as Honady says I may just re-zero and carry them this season. I guess I'll have to grab a few more boxes if there's any left. Also, I did find it interesting that they were $2.00 a box cheaper than the standard 350 gr. load.

Default Not Impressed

After shooting these out of my GG today I'm not too impressed so far. I shoot much smaller groups with the conventional 350 grainers. They're good enough for a moose, but I'm not going to win any precision shooting contests.....at least not with them out of my gun. I might give them a try out of my BLR.

Question groups?

What kind of groups were you getting? In thinking of using them in my Marlin 1895 45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie1
    What kind of groups were you getting? In thinking of using them in my Marlin 1895 45-70.
    I was only able to get 3 to 4" with 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I was using a scoped GG of of a Lead Sled rest so I was a bit baffled with the results. Three shot groups with the conventional factory 350's usually have all three shots touching. I'm gonna give them another try this weekend.

Post cute little red tip 45 rifle bullets

As all of us do, I got real excited about the idea of a Spitzer in a lever gun and special ordered a few boxes months back. I even went to the expense of converting a Ruger M77 MkII 300 win mag into a 450 Marlin Bolt gun. I have a Shilen heavy magnum contour barrel at 24"

So far the 24" BBL Ruger M77 will get me about 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 inch groups 5 round groups at 100 yds Tailwind: nominal oblique from 170 degrees at 5 kts. All groups were compensated 1/4" MOA for windage. Elevation: 3% up angle, Temp 65 F 34 % Humidity (good day to go shooting!!)

For the money spent to get a 450 Marlin in a bolt rifle, my advice is stay with your Marlins or 94 Winchesters. The advantages of a 450 bolt rifle is not much improvement is accuracy for a 100 yd / brush gun.
    Back to the ammo:
    The hornady red tips do not perform extraordinary other bullets at 100 yds in accuracy

At 300yds in the Ruger M77: the table turned and the little red tip bullets maintained the 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 inch groups after bullet drop compensation, windage and elevation was compensated. 3 groups of 5 rounds were fired. Now at 3 times the distance the Bolt rifle was out performing the Guide Gun with it's 2-7x Burris LER Scout Scope.

Optics on the Ruger was a Burris XTR Xtreme tactical 3x12x50 illuminated mil dot.
    (note - Mil Dots are great for making long shots easy when you know your ballistics)

Bottom line -- the red tip Spitzer bullets in the 45 calibers have advantage out past 200 yds. Out past 300yds and the ballistics are dropping rapidly to the point one is launching bullets rather than precision shooting. The 450 Marlin round is not a long range round and 300yds is not advised for a hunting shot.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default 45-70 Leverevolution ammo for black bear

This is my 2 cents on the thread concerning using the 45-70 Leverevolution ammo on baited black bear. This particular load out of my Marlin 1895 22" bbl is amazingly accurate. I also had good luck with Federal 300 grain power shoks. See my blog (gunsandoptics,blogspot.com).

I too have questioned whether or not to take this load for the first week of this fall on a father/son bear hunt in Maine. I had previously done some extensive "water jug testing" with You-tube videos on Blog. I had pretty much decided on the Buffalo Bore 350 grain JFN Penetrator load as it out penetrated any other bullet used in the 45-70 or any other rifle I had including the Nosler Partitions in the .350 Rem mag and the .338 Federal.

The BB slug held together nicely, mushroomed and penetrated like there is no tomorrow. That being said, it is not the most accurate load in my gun, though out to 75 yards or so, it is MORE than accurate enough.

I am now leaning towards the 325 grain Leverevolution ammo based on what I have read concerning actual black bear kills using this load. At 100 yards, I placed my first shot about 1 inch high and dead center on a target. I fired shot #2, and thought I had missed the entire back stop and was wondering what the hey?

Upon further examination from the back side of the target, I was able to confirm the second bullet went into the first hole and just enough to widen that hole slightly. Further testing indicates this is NOT a fluke. Whether at 25 yds, or 100 or 150 this load really shines in the accuracy dept.

Realizing that black bears have been taken with just about every deer rifle in existence, and probaly more have been killed over the years with a 30-30 than anything else, I decided I am putting too much time into finding the perfect black bear load for the 45-70.

I am going to put my faith in the Leverevolution load, and take satisfaction in knowing I can place that bullet very precisely and rely on the field reports from other hunters and the original testing and load development done by Hornady. I am no longer concerned whether the shot is a double lung behind the shoulder or spot on the shoulder quartering towards me etc. I believe the Leverevolution load will be up to the task. I do not reload at present so the shorter case presenting reloading issues does not really concern me. I have had ZERO problems with reliable feeding and functioning with this load. It is certainly pleasant to shoot off the bench in a Tshirt, and Short of the big bears (Brown, Grizzly, Polar), this load should handle all other chores with ease including, elk, moose, buffalo, hogs, deer etc. For the big bears, I would feel more confident with a number of loads from both Buffalo bore and Garrett. IF anyone has taken one of the bigger bears with Leverevolution ammo, I would certainly enjoy reading the results of that hunt.

God willing and the creek don't rise, I hope to be able to do a blog post on a successful bear hunt with load. My son is going to use a 30:06 with a Mueller red dot scope and 180 grain Nosler Accubonds. We are taking the .Ruger .350 Rem mag with 225 grain Nosler partitions for a backup, in case of scope problems etc. withone of the other two rifles.

Dan

My only problem with the Leverevolution bullet is that it is pretty soft. It is more of a deer bullet than a bear bullet, but for average to small bear where little penetration is needed, it ought to work fine. Also, while it is loaded a little hotter than the orginal 45-70 type loads, it is not loaded anywhere near the power levels the Marlin or the Win. rilfe designs will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsandoptics.blogspot.co View Post
    God willing and the creek don't rise, I hope to be able to do a blog post on a successful bear hunt with load.
    Dan
    Be sure to report full results here. I'm not a blog chaser.

Default Leverloution 325's

I've put about 300 rounds of Hornady 325's thru my 1895XLR Marlin 45/70 and have been very impressed with the accuracy for sure. It will shoot cloverleafs at 100yds and under 3in at 200 if I do my part.
    I have shot black bear and deer with it - all pass thru's, DRT shots.
    I am not saying it is the end to all problems load for sure - but I cannot find any faults with them yet either.
    Penetration tests on phone books was admirable and they held up pretty well. 50% of the ones shot thru wood first - then the books did shed the jackets.
    Win is bringing a new Bonded bullet 4570 round to the market, info is hard to find on it - some list it at 375gns, some at 405 ??? 1500fps Could be a pleasant thumper to shoot also...
    IMO I would not hesitate to use it for black bear again, not what I would carry for brown bear....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....