Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

So I was at Deshka yesterday. Things were pretty slow. In fact, the only multi-fish boat I saw was a guy trolling up and down the mouth area. He had his 10-12 yr old son with him. The guy had one fish, then landed another (he set the hook, but the kid did the last bit of reeling) and then kept fishing. Guys in a boat nearby questioned him about this. The guy responded that 'that last one was my son's fish' and 'you can catch and release as much as you want.' Very soon after, the guy jetted up the river, and later came back to the mouth to clean his fish, then left.

Both of his statements were wrong as far as the regs go, since he clearly set the hook on his "son's king" and the regs are very clear about limits and no fishing after taking a limit. Since he soon left, I think he knew he was in the wrong. But, had he continued to fish, I wonder what I would have done? I contemplated advising him of the regs (as I know them). If he persisted, then what? Report him later? Call the fish cops on the cell? Throw the anchor over his trolling line? What would the forum suggest?

BTW: I am not sure I see both of these violations the same, although both are violations. Right or wrong, helping kids fish is more acceptable. I just wish he'd let the kid do more than reel the last 10 feet.

--akfangler
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

Unless I had the regs with me then I would not have said anything sure in your mind you "know" them but without having them in possesion all you will usually get is and argument even if your talking to a trooper whom does'nt have the regs with him but "knows".

I have seen two such incidents happen on the deshka and there was plenty of boats around one was a couple guys just keeping fish after fish and another where a boat was casting into pool that the boats ring in front of mike and merts and rip retrieving their line through the hole snagginf fish and letting them go in both these cases it was just about everyone their advising these guys it was in thier best interest to leave which they did.

I would not have said anything to the guy I see alot of deck hands out of seward set the hook and hand off to a client while trolling for silvers.

I would have said that I am sure you cannot fish once you keep a King and the second King was clearly his and not the kids.

Some times a guy will have a proxy tag though.

--

I was at Willow and saw a guy catch a King and brag that he was going to keep on fishing. I found a brownshirt and told him this and he questioned the guy. Turned out he had a proxy but the problem was the proxy guy was fishing too. Which is illegal.

Trooper told them only one could fish with the proxy license but not both.

--

I turn in poachers its as simple as that. I am not perfect but if I am in violation I expect to get a ticket for it. I wont complain either.

I will be friendly and say if I think someone is breaking a rule before just finding the nearest brownshirt. Except for that guy who was bragging.

I have been wrong about the regs before.

I make my kids hook their own fish or if limit allows I will hook some fish and let the kids reel mine in.

--

My oldest son caught his first king when he was two years old. He did all his own hooking. I cast out for him and handed him the rod. A few seconds later my wife was yelling he has one. He fought it for a minute before the fish pulled the rod out of his hand. After I jumped into the Homer Spit pond and saved the rod, I let my son reel the fish in while I held the rod. Marked the fish on his tag and the King weighed the same as my son right around 28 pounds. To me that was worth enough memories that I do not have to hook kings and hand them to my kids to put on the kids tags.

--

I have four kids and can use all the fish I will get but I feel no need to be in violation of the regs. But that is just me. If I am in violation then turn me in cause I deserve it.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default It's pretty clearcut....

If a fish is legal to keep, he who sets the hook tags the fish.... been that way in Alaska for at least the past 35 years.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I would inform him of the regs and if he gives you any lip or continue's doing it I would take his boat numbers down and report him

Default hmm

If he had set the hook, given it to his kid, and let him reel it up then left, I wouldn't care. The fact he kept fishing kinda irritates me. I wouldn't stand for that very long.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I think I know exactly who you are talking about. He has been fishing Deshka for years, and has had a bad attitude ever since I first saw him there. He will troll and troll, when the mouth is a parking lot, snag your lines and then yell at you for it. We had a run in with him last year, he snagged our clients lines, and we reeled up the lines and cut his off, he then came over to our boat, said a few choice words, with his young son in the boat, and took his stern and rammed us, almost throwing his kid overboard. Had he been nice about it, he would of gotten his rig back, but when he came up to us, cursing and yelling, I thru the **** thing in the water right in front of him. Watch out for him cause he a true Son Of A Biotch! If you go there again and he is there, nothing will be different, he is just a rude fisherman!

Terri

Default keep fishing

I wouldn't spend so much time worrying about what someone else is doing. If a place is too crowded for me, I move. I'm too busy fishing to worry about others. As far as hooking a fish for someone else, what's the big deal? I've set the hook plenty of times for my wife and kids and I always will. I think that people just get jealous a lot of times when they aren't catching fish and someone else is.

On page 25 of the Southcentral regulation summary booklet, 5th bullet under the Deshka River drainage: "After taking a king salmon 20" or longer, a person may not fish for king salmon on that same day."

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../SCsusitna.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    If a fish is legal to keep, he who sets the hook tags the fish.... been that way in Alaska for at least the past 35 years.

fishNphysician hit the nail on the head..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default What Would I Do?

Well - I'd pull out my either sex people permit and put the lead to him. Problem resolved.

I have often been a promoter of people permits. A couple rules would need apply. First and foremost rule is that I am the sole holder of said permits. Second rule is that there are no other rules.

Now - where'd I put them durn people permits again?