Thread: Does an out of state fishing license allow fishing for food?

Default Does an out of state fishing license allow fishing for food?

I am planning on getting a 2 week non resident license, will I be allowed to eat what I catch?

Yup. As long as the regulations for that area and species allow retention.

an out of state license is no good! a non resident license will allow you to fish and as long as it is legal keep what you catch. be sure to check regs. before your fish so that you know species and limit where you are fishing. also check to see if there are any emergency orders before you go.

Thank you, I definitely intend to follow all of the fishing regulations to a "T."

I didn't mean "out-of-state" license as in using my Pa license in AK. That would be silly. I meant, an AK license held by an out of state fisherman..."non-resident. Sorry for any confusion..

As long as you can or freeze the fish, you can keep on getting you daily limit.

I was hoping on cooking them for lunch/dinner over an open fire on the river bank.

That will work too. You just can't have more than your possession limit with you unless whatever is over the limit is "prepared for human consumption" i.e. freezing, canning, cooked, etc.

Jon

Smile

Good to know, thx alot!

Default >>>---------->

Bon Appetite!

Although, technically it would be dis-honest to catch a fish, eat it, then catch a full bag limit in the same day. The one you consume is supposed to count toward the bag limit and any annual limits, but not toward the posession limit.

Also, if you're in SouthEast, be sure if you steak or fillet a king, coho, ling or rock-fish that you eat or cook all of it if you're consuming in the field. Returning to town or to port with a de-headed fish is illegal here...period. (Yes, even if you caught the fish 2 days ago, filleted it, ate part, and left a few fillets on ice... returning to Juneau with fillets will get you a ticket - so say Brian Glynn and Todd Sharp.)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OH? I didn't know that, I dont plan on eating fish head and tail , is it ok to bury them...far from camp of course.

Just throw the bones, guts, head, tail, fins, etc., back into the river. just don't keep any more than the bag limit, minus whatever you've already eaten. You don't have to keep the carcass, and you don't have to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Although, technically it would be dis-honest to catch a fish, eat it, then catch a full bag limit in the same day. The one you consume is supposed to count toward the bag limit and any annual limits, but not toward the posession limit.
    -Case
    It is illegal to take more than one bag limit per day. The bag limit is a daily limit or defined as; "the maximum legal take per person per day, in the area in which the person is fishing, even though part or all of the fish are immediately perserved."

Even if you eat one of the harvested fish, it still counts towards your bag limit, but it would then be out of your possession.