Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie fishing in/near Talkeetna.

Default Rookie fishing in/near Talkeetna.

We are planning our first trip to Ak from Pa, and we hope to set out from Talkeetna on foot "into the wild" to fish for a week. We have only ever fished down here and the only info. we have about fishing in Ak is from what we read. We could use ANY and ALL advice to help catch some fish and make our trip a success. We plan on being in the area mid to late July.

After July 13th, you won't be able to fish for kings. But There will be some trout, possibly some silvers and reds at that time up in Talkeetna. Take a drive down the parks highway, fish Montana Creek or Willow Creek.

Too bad your coming in mid to late July, or else you could of been part of the combat fishing for those nice Kings that Willow and Talkeetna have to offer.

Terri

I don't know If I can make it all the way to willow creek on foot, but thx for the tip. I definitely hope to catch my share of silvers and trout. Will the Kings be migrating out of the area?

I could really use some tips for fishing in or near Talkeetna.

Quote Originally Posted by AcousticLicks View Post
    I don't know If I can make it all the way to willow creek on foot, but thx for the tip. I definitely hope to catch my share of silvers and trout. Will the Kings be migrating out of the area?
    kings will be spawning and dead...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

When you get to town, ask the locals to show you the trail to Larson Creek. It is one of the few within walking distance from town. There are a couple of stocked lakes near town, but none worth fishing that I am aware of. If you could hook a ride up the tracks on the train, I would get dropped off at Indian River and stay there for the duration of time you have and then flag down the train and ride it back to Talkeetna.

What AKres said, since your foot, lotsa hitchiking and asking questions. Thats what AK is about!

Indian river...thx . I will definitely check in to it. I appreciate all the input!

Default fishin

I'd pack some iron too if'n I were you, bear spray/slow friend at a minimum. luck on your trip

Cody

I definitely am but, after seeing some pics of Grizz from AK, I am not sure my 357 will be enough. How about some more fishing advice for the area?

Default drop off

Have Tri river drop you off at clear creek for a couple days. Hike the creek & you should have rainbows, chums, & possibly a few reds.

Talking

you ain't related to alexander supertramp are you????

just kidding

Default check this acoustic

http://www.mahaysriverboat.com/alask....com/index.htm

these guys can shuttle you up the river and then let you venture on your own, might be right up your alley if you want to get away from folks, I would think they could do it. Call em too, they've always been really helpful with run timing/fishing info.

Cody

Thx FishnHuntr, I will definitely check em out!

Default silvers

Too early. I would deffinately do the water taxi thing.

Thx for the advice guys, Mahays was a decent service nut, I think I would shop around first. Like everything else in Alaska ,they were pretty expensive. I did catch a nice King up at Clear Creek, so I don't regret paying 55$ to have them shuttle me 7 miles upstream. I am inclined to think that I couldve hiked it through the woods if I really wanted too...despite what "Dave" at Mahays said. It seemed to us that MOST (not all) Alaskan's would put our ideas down ...perhaps because they were incapable of doing what we were proposing, not necessarily because WE couldn't do it.

I think I would shop around first.
    $55 is about as good of a deal as it gets...any idea what it costs to run river boats?...

I am inclined to think that I couldve hiked it through the woods if I really wanted too...despite what "Dave" at Mahays said.
    sure you couldda' hiked it...your approach probably prevented you getting the right info...

perhaps because they were incapable of doing what we were proposing, not necessarily because WE couldn't do it.
    good example of your approach...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

What exactly were you purposing? Mahays will generally do anything, it depends on how deep your pockets are.... and if you know what you actually are trying to do...

$55 is the cheapest around and as far as "shopping around" Tri Rivers (also $55) and Mahays are the only two outfits that will do Clear Creek drop offs. Mind you, the $55 charge has been the same for at least the last 3 years, considering the price of fuel these days, thats a **** good price.

You can walk to Clear Creek for sure, I've done it tons of times, but not at this time of year, the water is too high and there is no trail to speak of, plus the "way to go" puts you on the wrong side of the river and it is not possible to cross the Talkeetna anywhere along the route. There is also another way, but you'd be lucky to get there in a days walk, especially cause you don't know where you're going.

If you want to fish on foot, stick to the Parks Hwy streams, much much easier.

My approach was simple and direct enough..."Is it possible to get to Clear Creek another way?" I was told it would take me 3 weeks to drive around the river and come from behind...an obvious exaggeration. Correct me if I'm wrong but, wouldn't it be easy enough to just cross the train tracks in Talkeetna and follow the river all the way up.I'm not an Alaskan expert by any means but it's pretty hard to get lost when you have a river to follow...well for us Pennsylvanians it is anyway . Good to know that 55$ is the best deal around but, considering how overpriced AK was in general...I wouldn't go bragging about how good of a deal it was that's for sure.

If i were you i'd go right back to talkeetna and walk right up to clear creek THEN tell us alaskans how easy it was and how we've been getting ripped with the 55 dollar drop off, i'm guessing you never flown over the lower talkeetna and seen what it looks like and i'm guessing you haven't tried walking around the river, you paid the money so you musta thought that was the best route to take other wise you wouldn't have done it.

Over priced? well that over price keeps people from living here that pretend to know better than we do how things should be done. Maybe you could spend your next overpriced vaction catching king salmon and silvers and trout in PA....? besides...didn't you mention in the hunting forum how over rated alaska was anyway.?

Thanks for supporting Mayhays and the great service they provide to the locals.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast