Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weatherby's Will Shoot Just Pain and Simple

Default Weatherby's Will Shoot Just Pain and Simple

I can't say enough about my .375Wby but even more than that is the accuracy performance of the 300gr TSX in front of 93grs of H4831sc with Weatherby brass and CCI 250 primers. I have shot over the last year seven rifles with freebore and five were Mark V's and every on of them after I found my load were 7/8" for one and 1/2" for the other six rifles. Cartridges were 257Wby, 257-300Wby, 300Wby, 300Wby, 300Wby, 416Wby and 375Wby. In all of these rifles I obtained accuracy with the following TSX's. 100gr for 257's, 180gr for 300's, 350gr for 416, and 300 for 375. There is no better production hunting rifle on the market in my opinion (I did say my opinion which is biased) and most customs have trouble keeping up with the Weatherby Mark V. If you are a shooter at all you will have the above results to some degree and if you shoot Custom Mark V's there will be no doubt what the results will be. Weatherby's can get a bad rap like a lot of other rifles do at times and this is due to the shooter and the handloader and of course they blame it on the rifle. None of my Weahterby's or the Vanguard have failed to shoot under an inch on a consistent bases when I finished my load work. Case in point: Mickey who shoots a Weatherby he bought and is a friend who hunts with me in Arizona could not get his Weatherby to shoot under and inch. It was not the rifle or the load, it was Mickey. One day at the range in his frustration he said, "You shoot it, go a head and you will see that I don't have a good Weatherby, it will not shoot." So I did, wondering what was wrong with the rifle or load, that he could only get 1 1/2" at best at 100yds from the bench. When I shot the first group it measured .624" and the third and fourth groups shot .467 and .532" and the last group I fired shot .375". All this said, Weatherby's will shoot just pain and simple. Of course before anyone has a heart attack, there are and have been some real rifle issues in the past at times with the Mark V but that surely has been solved. I think shooters and hand loaders ought to realize that most of the time it is them and not the rifle.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

good to hear. I just purchased a SS custom Vanguard with a laminate stock in .257 Weatherby Magnum. I'm hoping it prints like yours.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Beartooth, I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Weatherby Rifles, and I have always wanted one of the Mark V’s. That said, I have never owned a Weatherby and that is not likely to change. They are simply too expensive for my budget and purchasing style. I would be more apt to buy a couple of used Remington’s, Winchesters, CZ or Ruger’s at one of the gun shows, as for me personally, it provides more “bang” for the buck than any Weatherby could. I have never doubted the accuracy potential of the Weatherby’s but on the other hand, I have never had a Remington that wouldn’t shoot. So I really have no reason to change brands so to speak, and the additional expense of the Weatherby brass also puts me off a bit. But who knows…………..perhaps some day I will run across a Mark V that “wont shoot” and get one for a reasonable price that just needs a good cleaning!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

People when discussing Weatherby's often overlook the Vanguard. It is quite possibly the best value on the market today. It is an ultra strong action and chamebered in a variety of calibers including .257 and .300 Weatherby Vanguard. I have a Vanguard Synthetic in 300 Weatherby Magnum and just purchased a SS Vanguard with a laminate stock. The 300 wil shoot as well as I can with factory Remington 180 Core Lokts no high dollar ammunition required.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Beartooth, I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Weatherby Rifles, and I have always wanted one of the Mark V’s. That said, I have never owned a Weatherby and that is not likely to change. They are simply too expensive for my budget and purchasing style. I would be more apt to buy a couple of used Remington’s, Winchesters, CZ or Ruger’s at one of the gun shows, as for me personally, it provides more “bang” for the buck than any Weatherby could. I have never doubted the accuracy potential of the Weatherby’s but on the other hand, I have never had a Remington that wouldn’t shoot. So I really have no reason to change brands so to speak, and the additional expense of the Weatherby brass also puts me off a bit. But who knows…………..perhaps some day I will run across a Mark V that “wont shoot” and get one for a reasonable price that just needs a good cleaning!
    You have made some excellent points and I agree. It has only been at this end of my working life that I have had the money to build custom Sako's a custom Remington and now my custom Weahterby's. I agree with all you have said and of course there is the option of the Vanguard which is Remington 700 on steroids.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default There are other accurate bullets besides the TSX

I'm not knocking the TSX bullets or doubting your accuracy claims. For whatever reason my .257 Wby is shooting <1" at 100yds with the Nosler partition bullets. It shoots <2" at 200yds with the 117gr round nose bullets in a series of ten shots--not that I'm going out to hunt with those bullets.

I have still not made the time to start working up a load for the 115gr TSX...too busy hunting right now. Any PM'd information about your 100gr and/or 115gr TSX, primer, powder type/charge and COAL would be helpful for starting data.

As testimony to add to Beartooth's love of the Weatherby paper performance I shot my PWS black bear with a .257 Wby. He took a 120gr Nosler partition and dropped like a sack of rocks. A true "bang-flop" was the result. There was a single bawl and no movement within ten seconds of the shot--and with good reason.
    Fortunately for Mr. Blackie he took the shot from 30feet into the left mid-chest wall. The Nosler tore a 1.75cm x 6cm hole into the left mid-chest wall, breaking two ribs. It passes through the heart and the lungs, exited the right anterior chest wall and kept on going. It went through the proximal humerus, broke the shaft into 8-9 fragments not longer than 3cm and blew out the lateral side of the shoulder only to keep traveling... That bear NEVER knew what happened to him.

Being in the medical field I completed an autopsy on him while gutting him out. His lungs were jellified and his heart looked like someone put a grenade in his heart and pulled the pin...I could not reconstruct a single chamber of the heart because there were no pieces larger than a silver dollar. I really tried, I really am a doctor and I really could not put his heart back to together again. The first recognizable portion of the circulator system was the aortic arch...the bullet just DETONATED his chest!

Long live the .257 Wby!!! I like my Vanguard so much I'm gonna get an accumark next!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    I'm not knocking the TSX bullets or doubting your accuracy claims. For whatever reason my .257 Wby is shooting <1" at 100yds with the Nosler partition bullets. It shoots <2" at 200yds with the 117gr round nose bullets in a series of ten shots--not that I'm going out to hunt with those bullets.

I have still not made the time to start working up a load for the 115gr TSX...too busy hunting right now. Any PM'd information about your 100gr and/or 115gr TSX, primer, powder type/charge and COAL would be helpful for starting data.

As testimony to add to Beartooth's love of the Weatherby paper performance I shot my PWS black bear with a .257 Wby. He took a 120gr Nosler partition and dropped like a sack of rocks. A true "bang-flop" was the result. There was a single bawl and no movement within ten seconds of the shot--and with good reason.
    Fortunately for Mr. Blackie he took the shot from 30feet into the left mid-chest wall. The Nosler tore a 1.75cm x 6cm hole into the left mid-chest wall, breaking two ribs. It passes through the heart and the lungs, exited the right anterior chest wall and kept on going. It went through the proximal humerus, broke the shaft into 8-9 fragments not longer than 3cm and blew out the lateral side of the shoulder only to keep traveling... That bear NEVER knew what happened to him.

Being in the medical field I completed an autopsy on him while gutting him out. His lungs were jellified and his heart looked like someone put a grenade in his heart and pulled the pin...I could not reconstruct a single chamber of the heart because there were no pieces larger than a silver dollar. I really tried, I really am a doctor and I really could not put his heart back to together again. The first recognizable portion of the circulator system was the aortic arch...the bullet just DETONATED his chest!

Long live the .257 Wby!!! I like my Vanguard so much I'm gonna get an accumark next!

Cheers!
    Here are three accurate loads I use in my Mark V 257Wby:
    1. 100gr TSX; OAL 3.168"-3.171"; MRP 72.7gr; CCI 250 primers; Weatherby brass.

2. 100gr TSX; OAL 3.168"-3.171"; IMR4350 66.5gr; CCI 250 primers; Weatherby brass.

3. 100gr TSX; OAL 3.168"-3.171; H4831sc 67gr; CCI 250 primers; Weatherby brass.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here are the targets that correspond to the loads I gave above.

MRP

IMR4350

H4831sc
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here are targets that correspond and represent the accuracy of each of the above mentioned Weatherby rifles in the order as posted above, all targets shot at 100yds.

257Wby Mark V Synthic has already been posted on the previous post here are the rest.

257-300Wby Mark V Custom

300Wby Ruger #1

300Wby Vanguard

300Wby Mark V Custom
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here are the last two the 416 and 375

416Wby Mark V Deluxe

375Wby Mark V Custom
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default I'm impressed

Sounds like I need to try Weatherby again. All my experience was with older Mk V's and those first ridiculous little ultralight Vanguards in magnum calibers with 18" barrels. The slow twist in my original V's in 257 frustrated the dickens out of me because the only bullet over 100 grains that shot well was the factory 117 round nose. Yuck. The friend whose ultralight Vanguard I remember most clearly was in 7mm mag. It shot flames like the flame throwers on Iwo Jima, blew dust like a Huey landing in the desert, and made noise you could hear in the next county. Yet it couldn't match the velocities of 280 Remington factory loads. The friend finally had it rebarreled.

The accuracy you folks are getting really does merit a second look at the newer guns.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I can't say enough about my .375Wby but even more than that is the accuracy performance of the 300gr TSX in front of 93grs of H4831sc with Weatherby brass and CCI 250 primers. I have shot over the last year seven rifles with freebore and five were Mark V's and every on of them after I found my load were 7/8" for one and 1/2" for the other six rifles. Cartridges were 257Wby, 257-300Wby, 300Wby, 300Wby, 300Wby, 416Wby and 375Wby.

In all of these rifles I obtained accuracy with the following TSX's. 100gr for 257's, 180gr for 300's, 350gr for 416, and 300 for 375. There is no better production hunting rifle on the market in my opinion (I did say my opinion which is biased) and most customs have trouble keeping up with the Weatherby Mark V.

If you are a shooter at all you will have the above results to some degree and if you shoot Custom Mark V's there will be no doubt what the results will be. Weatherby's can get a bad rap like a lot of other rifles do at times and this is due to the shooter and the handloader and of course they blame it on the rifle. None of my Weahterby's or the Vanguard have failed to shoot under an inch on a consistent bases when I finished my load work.

Case in point: Mickey who shoots a Weatherby he bought and is a friend who hunts with me in Arizona could not get his Weatherby to shoot under and inch. It was not the rifle or the load, it was Mickey. One day at the range in his frustration he said, "You shoot it, go a head and you will see that I don't have a good Weatherby, it will not shoot." So I did, wondering what was wrong with the rifle or load, that he could only get 1 1/2" at best at 100yds from the bench. When I shot the first group it measured .624" and the third and fourth groups shot .467 and .532" and the last group I fired shot .375".

All this said, Weatherby's will shoot just pain and simple. Of course before anyone has a heart attack, there are and have been some real rifle issues in the past at times with the Mark V but that surely has been solved. I think shooters and hand loaders ought to realize that most of the time it is them and not the rifle.
    Beartooth, I love your posts but have a problem with following along! Paragraph's.... they're your friend!

I own an accurate Weatherby! I shot the head off of a Ptarmagin at over 130 yards with it after calling the shot. I share your appreciation of Weatherby Rifles!

- Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    Beartooth, I love your posts but have a problem with following along! Paragraph's.... they're your friend!

I own an accurate Weatherby! I shot the head off of a Ptarmagin at over 130 yards with it after calling the shot. I share your appreciation of Weatherby Rifles!

- Clint
    Thank you and you are so correct. I need to take more time in posting my thoughts. I get in a hurry at times and many times write like I talk instead of paying attention to proper sentence and text constructions. Thanks for braking it down correctly for me. A head shot at 130 is a very good shot.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I agree with all you have said and of course there is the option of the Vanguard which is Remington 700 on steroids.
    I thought Howa made the Vanguards for Weatherby?

Weatherby's are no doubt great rifles. If you consider Coopers as production rifle, then I think the Coopers would edge out the Weatherby's. They are guaranteed for 1/2 MOA and many shoot a lot tighter.

I think Sako's are pretty good too. I have never personally compared them, but from what I hear and read they are probably comprable.

Some great rifles you have there Beartooth. Real shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    I thought Howa made the Vanguards for Weatherby?
    Yes, Howa makes the Vanguard but not the Mark V. Howa does a bang up job. There are a lot of great rifles out there and great shooters. Yes, I have been fortunate to have rifles that shoot well. I think most hunters own a few rifles that shoot real well and they are their go to rifles. Most manufactures make rifles that shoot good on a fairly consistent bases. At the moment it sure is good to be an American and have the opportunity to purchase so many different makes and models.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I shot a .270 Weatherby magnum for many years shooting 150 grain spire tipped bullets. It was a tack driver and was the one rifle that I felt like if I aimed at it, it was going to be shot. I shot numerous moose and several black bears with this rifle and also shot the heads off of grouse more than one time for camp meat with it.

Most manufactures make rifles that shoot good on a fairly consistent bases. At the moment it sure is good to be an American and have the opportunity to purchase so many different makes and models.
    Couldn't agree with you more. I think the over all quality of rifles has gone up quite a bit in the last 20 years.

I have S&W M1500 made by Howa that I bought back in 82. It's a real good rifle, but I didn't use it as my go to rifle cause I dont like the safety. To easy to acciently move it to off.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more. I think the over all quality of rifles has gone up quite a bit in the last 20 years.

I have S&W M1500 made by Howa that I bought back in 82. It's a real good rifle, but I didn't use it as my go to rifle cause I dont like the safety. To easy to acciently move it to off.
    It is debated by many that rifle manufactures of today are not as good as they were 30 or 40 years ago. In some manufactures I would agree with this position and also that fit and finish of rifles with some manufactures has fallen. But that said other manufactures have gone out of their way to make a better product. A percentage of hunters and shooters today do compare and shop around and surf the net and forums for info from other shooters. I think this has caused some manufactures to try and make a better and more affordable rifle for what you get. Of course what I have just stated is so subjective that it could be discussed until the Lord comes and the subject not be worn out by us. I am so glad that I have a group of rifles that shoot so well and I think it is because Weatherby stepped up as has some other companies and tried to give us a good product.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth... was just ribbing you!

I knocked the top of the Ptarmagins head off, it was a lucky shot!

- Clint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast