Thread: Tomato Question

Default Tomato Question

My wife and I planted some tomato plants into large containers a little prematurely. I was in the progress of building a greenhouse and promised her I'd get it done...2 weekends ago! Well, one of our Early Girl plants is getting extremely long and lanky and is unable to support itself already with no fruit. Can we "lop the top" off of it in order to shorten it and maybe get it to bush out a little more or would that be detrimental to the plant? It's going in the new greenhouse tomorrow or Sunday for sure!!!

Yes you can stunt the height the greenhouse will not stop the "leginess" just pinch the top out of it or transplant it but drop it another 6 inches + down in the soil tomato's will sprout roots all up the stem up they contact soil.

To help strengthen that stalk put a gentle fan blowing on your plants for a couple hours a day indoor starts do not benefit from natural wind sp they grow a weaker stacks and can flop rather easily when put out or heavy with fruit.

James

Tomatoes will do much better by starting them with the pot only about half full of soil and adding soil as the plant grows.

Legginess is usually caused by insufficient light, by the way.

Default Tomatoes

If you'll place your plants outside in the wind a few hours daily they'll toughen up. To keep them from falling all over the place you can use a tomatoe cage. It will also help support the weight when fruit loads your vines.
    In lieu of a greenhouse we've used a piece of heavy clear plastic hung over a wire kind of like a pup tent with both ends open for ventlation. IF you make this set-up very long the center plants will get too hot.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Tomatos make great targets...uhhhh...sorry wrong forum

I wouldn't lop off the top, but it is a good idea to pinch off the bottom couple sets of leaves and plant it deeper. You can even plant the roots horizontally, if the pot isn't deep enough.

Coming from a fellow procrastinator, a good time to do this is when you get the greenhouse finished...if you do it now and don't finish the greenhouse for a couple more weeks it might end up long and lanky again! Tomato cages will help, too.

Default Nope

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Tomatos make great targets...uhhhh...sorry wrong forum
    Tomato targets make katsup.Ooops that should be in pantry,sorry!!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Default Suggestions...

Actually, I recently learned that you should set the roots in sideways in a planting box (such as those rectangular ones). I recently was able to view a couple of successful tomatoe plants planted like this in a greenhouse in Wasilla. It makes the root system thorough and deep.
    I have tomatoe plants that are doing incredibly well. Be sure that you fertilize it and keep it under a humid area until they are ready to be transported/transplanted into your garden. If you are in a colder area of Alaska, cover them nightly until they are strong (over 12 inches long) and then be sure to uncover them as soon as the temps get better.
    I am not a gardener by no means, but I have a green thumb and most of my plants have been very successful this year by doing this method as well.
    Lurker.

I want to say something about your green thumb, but thought better of it.

Make a comment, why don't cha?
    Do you think that you might hurt my feelings or do you have a real opinion on planting tomatoes.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Make a comment, why don't cha?
    Do you think that you might hurt my feelings or do you have a real opinion on planting tomatoes.
    Hurt your feelings? Yeah, right............I'd put my mater starts in dirt.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Tomato targets make katsup.Ooops that should be in pantry,sorry!!
    Do you make katsup with Nosler's or Barnes?

Speers, 180 grain

Default Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Do you make katsup with Nosler's or Barnes?
    I have found that the Sierra 52 grn BTHP at 4000 FPS will liquify a mater pretty good. Katsup if you please.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Hurt your feelings? Yeah, right............I'd put my mater starts in dirt.

kingfisherktn
    Yeah yeah. I get the picture.
    Lurker.

Default pinching off the top of the stems

Absolutely DO NOT pinch out the tops of the tomato plants. They will stunted and will not form blossoms or tomatoes on that stem. That is what you do in August, when you want to stop the plants from producing more tomatoes and instead to concentrate on the blooms already there.

You can plant the entire stem, up to the top set of leaves. If you have a deep bed, just set it into a deep hole. If your bed is not as deep, dig a trench, snip off the leaves, and lay the plant in the trench. Gently curve the very end of the plant up so that it is above the dirt line, and back fill so that the rest of the stem is covered.

Also, plants can be leggy from insufficient light or crowded conditions that cause the plants to "stretch" to beat the competion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
    My wife and I planted some tomato plants into large containers a little prematurely. I was in the progress of building a greenhouse and promised her I'd get it done...2 weekends ago! Well, one of our Early Girl plants is getting extremely long and lanky and is unable to support itself already with no fruit. Can we "lop the top" off of it in order to shorten it and maybe get it to bush out a little more or would that be detrimental to the plant? It's going in the new greenhouse tomorrow or Sunday for sure!!!