Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobber-flossing banned?

Default Bobber-flossing banned?

Saw this on another website today:

At the Homer Spit Fishin' Hole anglers may no longer fish with weights or bobbers beyond the hook or hooks.

If true, this essentially outlaws the notorious bobber-flossing technique recently popularized in the Homer Fishin' Hole over the past three years.

Has anybody actually seen this rule in print or has an official EO been released?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

What will they come up with next? Give it a season and some angler will perfect a new method.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Saw this on another website today:

At the Homer Spit Fishin' Hole anglers may no longer fish with weights or bobbers beyond the hook or hooks.

If true, this essentially outlaws the notorious bobber-flossing technique recently popularized in the Homer Fishin' Hole over the past three years.

Has anybody actually seen this rule in print or has an official EO been released?
    2008 Southcentral Sport Fishing Regs, page 14, bottom left of page, end of first paragraph:

"Weights or bobbers following a hook or hooks may not be used when these waters are closed to snagging."

I guess people will actually have to try and really fish!

Good riddance. Glad to see it!

We had a heated discussion about bobber-flossing on that website a few years ago when it was plastered on the home page. My outspoken stance on the technique nearly got me banned.

Amazing how so many clueless folks jumped in defending BF as a legitimate way to entice a bite. And they were dead serious.... SHEESH!

To see these new regs is sweet vindication.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Personally I don't agree with snagging in any form. I think it shows a lack of respect for the resource.

I AM GLAD TO SEE IT GO.....WHAT A JOKE.....WHEN I FIRST SEEN THE TIGHT LINING SET UP I LAUGHED SO HARD I LOST FIVE POUNDS.....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Yes it is illegal now.

Use it during the snagging season but not during the bait season.

What disappointed me is that out of 50 people last year 49 would be tightlining. They werent even interested in trying to get fish to bite.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Just curious. Do you all think it is improper to floss for Kings and proper to floss for Reds? Seems as though everyone I have ever seen fish for Reds, is flossing for them. What is the difference?

Default What's wrong with it?

What's wrong with it?!

It means those non-PC fishermen are trying to catch those terminal fish to eat; that is, they can't be tossed back for more fisherman's jollies. It just ain't sportin', you know!

I fail to understand what is sporting about a bunch of hatchery raised salmon circling around in a big lagoon for the expressed purpose of fishermen catching and eating them. This is not a wild environment folks. It is basically an ADFG trout pond for kiddies on a larger scale.

Having said that, I have never tightlined for them, nor have I ever flossed for reds. I occasionally snag in saltwater though.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    What's wrong with it?!

It means those non-PC fishermen are trying to catch those terminal fish to eat; that is, they can't be tossed back for more fisherman's jollies. It just ain't sportin', you know!

I fail to understand what is sporting about a bunch of hatchery raised salmon circling around in a big lagoon for the expressed purpose of fishermen catching and eating them. This is not a wild environment folks. It is basically an ADFG trout pond for kiddies on a larger scale.

Having said that, I have never tightlined for them, nor have I ever flossed for reds. I occasionally snag in saltwater though.
    What does it matter how a Man catches his food? I'm out their trying to get food to feed my family. Why would anybody care how I choose to feed my family? I still resent the fact that I'm only allowed two Kings in this area and four total. If that's all the state allows them why should anyone care how I get the four?

I agree with you Sayak. What happens with this catch and release mentality when carried to the extreme. You know the guy that started all this crap was an ad agency guy from New York City.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

You cant poach moose either but where does it end.

It just erks me that the guys flossing kings in the spit pond is not even trying to get them to bite.

I dont floss reds either but that is just me. I did a poll to prove it.(Just kidding there are a couple others)

Default Flossing for Kings

I didn't have a problem with it really. It's easy for those of us with high incomes to be purist sportsmen, but many fishermen are catching fish to eat. Changing the rules had made it more sporting, but the rational is to make it more sporting as defined by some of us.
    Besides, it's salt water, and a hatchery run, they were put there to be caught. Those fish are going to be dead anyway.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

But why not wait til the snagging season opens. To me those fish were put there for everyone to take a shot at. Not just for the locals to fill their own freezers.

I think proxy fishing should not be allowed for kings either............go ahead and flame me for that one too.

Default See it the way Homeroids see it:

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    But why not wait til the snagging season opens. To me those fish were put there for everyone to take a shot at. Not just for the locals to fill their own freezers.
    You have put up with tourists all season long. Lines, traffic, congestion. A necessary evil, but now its over. Time to go down and rake out the Fishin' Hole for the leftover silvers (many of which are pretty mushy and scarred anyway).

As far as I know Homer merchants are footing the bill for the salmon these days. I could be wrong, but they were trying to raise up the money for more planting when I lived there. It is a big draw to the spit.

Default never heard of this.

I have never heard of this technique, what is it?

Default >>>-------->

I could never get the technique to work right anyways.

Not any different than the so called "Fly Fishing" you see in fly fishing only areas.

Default ok

So I take it that somehow you are just letting the line drift through the mouth or the fish and when you feel this you pull on the line to set the hook, like fishing for reds in the Kenai?.. So it is a terminal fishery in Salt water that nothing will ever come of the fish that live...this has to be the most retarded thing I have ever heard of. Who cares who, what and how someone catches the fish. They are going to eat it, so be it, and people are for this? I take it most of the people who are for this regulation don't "fish for food", but just for pleasure. Not everyone is a profesional fisherman that can catch fish at will. Some people have very limited amount of time they can fish in the summer because of seasonal work. This is just plain stupid.

Not at all.

The first couple weeks the fish are in they can be caught with lures or bait and they are good eating too.

Last year there were so many people bobber snagging that there really never was anything to fish for. Every fish was being pulled out as they came in. All a fish had to do was swim by the dock and they were toast. It really sucked. Whats the point of even going down there?

I caught one King per night for 3 nights in a row, longest time was 2 1/2 hours. I thought it was going to be a great year for the spit pond with lots of happy people. I was very wrong. After the 3rd night (still end of May) I fished a half dozen more times and caught squat. I think I may have seen one fish per night pulled out each time.

Personally I think someone was going down at night and netting them.

--

Bobber snagging has hooks first and bobber at the end of the line. When a king swims by and is flossed the bobber goes under and when said snagger yanks the line the hooks get to the fish first. Half the time the fish gets it in the arse.

The pond is kind of a joke, and not something I would plan my trip around. If your in Homer give it a shot, and maybe you can score a chrome fish. If you need food for the table the PU dip net fishery is just around the corner. Plenty of salmon is the local creeks, and Halibut are swimming into the shallow water.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 05-31-2008 at 18:14. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast