Thread: Cranberries

Default Cranberries

Does anyone know when is a good time to go after lowbush cranberries? I assumed that the time was like the rest of the berries, later in the summer, however in my Cooking Alaskan cookbook it was saying the best time is after the first frost and that they will keep until early spring. Can anyone make sense of that? Do they stay around all winter, frozen until the moose and birds gobble them up?

Default Your cook book is right

Always go after at least one frost. The berries will be sweeter and easier to pick as well. I have even picked them with snow on the ground in the middle of the winter: just find a spruce tree and look around the snowless base and you'll generally find some tasty frozen morsels.

Default Cranberries

I like them best after a frost, but that makes the berry season very short because they will covered up with snow before too long and the daylight disappears fast that time of year. So, I'll start picking earlier.

I noticed last weekend there are still plenty of last years berries on the hillside above my house.