Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck jet boat

Default Stuck jet boat

I know this has been covered before but I would apreciate any advice on how to get a Jet boat off a gravel bar when it is 20' from floatable water. I am figuring a danforth anchor, high lift jack, about 4 pieces of 3" CPVC for rollers, a come along and 20' of heavy chain. Any one have a better system?

I am amazed most river boat guys up here don't have one of these it comes with everything you see will tow your boat off a gravel bar jump start it if the battery dies air up your trailer tires and run other 12 volt items and can be recharged either with 120 or 12 volt.

Short of this a 12' parachute can drag you off a sand bar real quick.

And a retail of only $350 makes it some cheap insurance

I like the basketball idea best so far.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I like the basketball idea best so far.
    Can you explain?

Somebody posted it here last summer although I can't remember who. Seems like they carried 6 deflated basket balls and a pump. Slide a ball under the boat and inflate a little. Work your way around the boat and soon enough it will be off the gravel and mobile enough to move it to the water while rotating the balls toward the water after they come out from under the boat.

Much like the pvc pipe idea but much more compact, easier to get under the boat (ball is the jack) and probably not affected by obstructions near to the degree as pipe would be. I have moved very heavy machinery using pipe and it works but throw some gravel in the way and it doesn't roll to well. Just my thoughts in addition to the previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Somebody posted it here last summer although I can't remember who.
    you can thank ExtremeDuty for that one....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=24086
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I have a Warn winch mounted on my bow, always carry a snatch block to work with that. 600 feet of AmSteel blue rope. A couple of duck bill anchors which fortunately I have never had to use. A couple of 6 ft 2 x 4's to use as pry bars. Also carry a 6 ft sea anchor which hasn't been used either. I figure as long as I carry all this stuff there is very little chance of my getting stuck. Just painted the bottom of the boat with Slip Plate #1

A big blue (or your preferred color) tarp with 550 cord tied to all the grommets, like a parachute will catch a lot of the current and help drag the boat downstream to deeper water. I've used that on the Ivishak, and it worked prettty well.

Default continous rope come-along and a lot of rope

I know I've been stuck on a gravelbar more times than most of you...one of these and a couple hundred feet of 1/2" nylon 3 strand rope tied to a Danforth anchor rated for a 50ft boat is the ticket. Some times the anchor isn't needed as you can pull to the bank.

The problem I've always had with the electric wenches is weight...too stinkin' heavy.

Where can i find the info on the winch gizmo??

Thanks in advance..

Any Polaris dealer can get it for you.

Great suggestions and I appreciate the link to the old thread. I now carry a high lift jack, jack platform, 100' of rope, 20' of chain, come along, rope along, atleast 1 shovel, and four 5' sections of 3" ABS pipe. I also have 6 basket balls for recreation in case we get bored trying to make the boat float. I will hopefully be installing a 2500lb winch in the bow over the winter.
    I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help you have provided me in getting started into jet boating. I especially want to thank these guys!

There is no better way to get a boat back in the water than 3 buddies with strong backs!

Looks like Knik, let's hear the story.

Default must haves

A lot of these things do not work if you are high and dry with a heavy boat, or if the sand sinks beneath you. You can move a 25 ft. big block jet boat that is high and dry by getting it off its belly and rocking it while a rope-come-along is under tension. I agree with having a large Danforth, lots of 1/2" braided rope, and a chainsaw. You must find a way to lift the boat high enough to place firewood-round sized logs under it. Using another one of these for a fulcrum and a longer piece of wood for a lever, you can lift the boat easily and place the rounds at each corner. Then while rocking the boat using the lever, (preferably one guy on each side), it WILL move forward. Just keep tightening the come-along (sometimes you need to manually hold the rope in a full bend while in the come-along so it doesn't slip) and keep the boat lifted at all 4 corners, and keep rocking it. Slow but effective. I've carried schedule 80 PVC but it often sinks in the sand and is pretty heavy stuff. When I've gotten stuck, it's usually ankle deep water with little to no current. I've carried a parachute...never was able to use it. If you want a hi-lift jack, get a short one or cut a large one down and get a composite base. The flare of a boat's side will get in the way otherwise. You just can't beat a chainsaw and wood. Even driftwood has worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Looks like Knik, let's hear the story.
    Actually it was pretty fun. Alaska_Lanche and I took off Friday morning to see how far we could get up toward the glacier primarily to check out access to the hunter creek sheep permit area but we figured we would take rifles and maybe get lucky and spot a bear. The trip up was going great then the Merc reved up suddenly and cut off. I tried to refire it but no luck initially. We grabbed the paddles and got to the shore. I lifted the motor and found a couple rocks in the intake grate but nothing too significant. At this point the sun was just comming up over the Knik glacier. I went ahead and cleaned the grate out and got the motor refired. I don't know if why the motor shut down if it has an over rev shutdown or something like that. We decided that it was probably not the best idea to continue further from the truck so we kicked her off into the current and started back down stream. Well the river is really braided and the whole thing was shimmering in the morning sun... That is my excuse at least, I went about a mile from where we cleared the intake before I missed the channel and skidded the boat about 20' into a 40' section of rippled water about 1" deep. We did all matters of things with the shovels and the come along I had brough but all we did was dig holes in the gravel and sand. Finally we grabbed our packs marked the boat on the GPS and set out for the 6 mile hike back to the bridge (that is 6 miles as the crow flies measured on the GPS). I was wearing my brand new Kenetrek Mountain boots so the thought of a 6+ mile hike made me nervous. We found that we were actually on an island and that there was a significant section of the Knik river that we would have to cross on foot. We ended up finding an area that was only thigh deep and waded on across that, there were actually about a dozen water crossings that we had to make but the Knik was the most significant. We made it out in under 2 hours and ended up getting stopped by the fish and wildlife trroper about a 3/4 of a mile from my truck. They checked our hunting license and then offered us a ride back to our vehicle, which we promptly accepted.
    Back at the truck we drove to Wasilla and picked up a Danforth anchor, 2 shovels and some chain. With the better anchore and longet chain we headed back to the boat. This time we were able to drive to within about a mile and a half of the boat. We strapped the anchor to my pack frame and tossed the chain in Lanche's back pack. His stapped his shovel into the rifle holder on his Badlands 2800 pack which made him look like some kind of miner. His miner status was nothing compared to seeing me hiking with an anchor strapped to my back and a spade for a walking stick! We made it to the boat and despite the aditional gear we exhausted ourselves and only moved the boat about 1'! We did dig out a good bit and get some water flowing under the boat but not enough to make a difference. Finally totally warn out we walked the 1.5 miles back to the truck again crossing the Knik river on foot. We totaled around 30 water crossing between and 10 miles on foot! The best thing about that was NO BLISTERS! The Kenetrecks did GREAT!
    That night I hit the phone and this site with this thread and by the next morning I was rested, had 3 people committed to helping me retrieve the boat and a list of ideas to get it out. Even better than that my wife decided she wanted to go! We hit AIH for most of the gear on the list here along with Sportsmans W/H for some better clothing. I got some Sitka Mountain pants and got the wife some similar pants that are Sportsmans W/H brand (they aren't double stitched like the Sitka but they do dry rapidly and are quite wind resistant). I did get her the Sitka 90% jacket which she loves! After a stop at lowes and Walmart we were set.
    We got the crew together in Palmer and set out. My buddy has a 2 door S10 Blazer and proudly claims, "If you can walk across it I can drive across it!" Turns out he is right! We drove that blazer right out there and after watching him cross the knik my wife desided she could drive our 06 supercrew across as well. I had a flash of my 40K truck floating down the river but she did excellent, and I wish I had a picture of the grin on her face! We ended up driving the trucks right to the boat and only had to break out the tow strap once! Turns out all that all the recovery stuff was not needed (this time...) and we were able to push and pull the boat into the channel. We cleaned out the jet and I was off and running. 3 of us including the wife drove the boat back to the bridge while the other guys drove the trucks back.
    We got hung up one more time on the way back to the bridge but we were able to get it off with out much trouble. The rest of the story was pretty uneventfull. It was pretty funny watching the wife fly across the boat when we hit that gravel bar though! She wasn't hurt and was laughing about it which makes her a pretty good catch in my book! Oh well that's the story and I got to go sharpen an impeller, turns out they don't work very well as a rock grinder

Great story. I love those recovery missions, as long as it's not my boat we are recovering.

If you want you could follow me up to Knik Glacier somtime, or you could ride in my airboat.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    I have a Warn winch mounted on my bow, always carry a snatch block to work with that.
    X2. A lightweight winch mounted in the bow works great.

I guess ya found out why very FEW jet or prop boats try to make the run to the glacier on the knik
    I've been watching the fun for years out of my windows, very entertaining
    Glad to hear ya got out Lujon!

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    I guess ya found out why very FEW jet or prop boats try to make the run to the glacier on the knik
    I've been watching the fun for years out of my windows, very entertaining
    Glad to hear ya got out Lujon!
    I will get a picture of my boat in front of the glacier!
    This was certainly a fun first attempt. Next time I will take my budies with me in the boat... I think with 3 or 4 200+ # guys in the boat we should skid to a stop much earlier that way we wouldnt get stuck as bad and if we did we would have 4 guys to push it off. I am hoping that one of my friends will buy a boat that way we can have a backup plan if we break something bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast