Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windfall Creek, Juneau

Default Windfall Creek, Juneau

Anyone fishin Windfall in June?? Last year was pretty tame from what I understand, people wise. I read the regs as saying sport fishing is closed in the confluence from June 1st to July 31st outside of the obvious WEDS and SAT...does this mean you can fish, and retain, there any day prior to that day or after the 31st of July?? Always wondered about that...hmmmm.

From what I understand that is THE only time your allowed to fish there.

I plan on trying to catch a couple there this June..

Sounds right to me. The regs say one thing but the signs up there allude to a more menacing outcome. I think the ADFG site allows you fish there any day outside of the prescribed dates BUT the signs up at the creek tell a whole other story of fishing ONLY on said days. Who knows, I think that is the only time there is fish in that part anyways.

You pull any steelies this year, onelung?

No...I've wanted to get out more, but with work it just hasnt matierlized yet....Plan on hitting the Kings pretty good once they start schooling up at the mouth of Fish Creek though (on the fly rod though)

I cant wait for that first day at the mouth either. Where the hell has your brother been? Havent seen him around the station in a long time.

He just got married - He was in Maui for the last 2-3 weeks on his Honeymoon...Hes a slacker anyways! I guess they are looking at moving there. He wants to get on Maui PD or somthing...

I thought it was closed for both June and July only with the exeption of Weds and Sat in June. Its pretty good for coho in Sept/Oct....and I know thats legal. I've seen some nice rainbows in there as well.

Didn't make it up last year due to work, but the year before I even managed to get one on the first day it was open....nobody else did though heheheh Hell of a long walk for one lousy sockeye, but its the only place in town I just hate the people who get their fish, bonk it, and keep on fishing when others still haven't connected....not much room up there.

Bout time to tie a bunch of Sockye-Lanterns....

I like those Sockeye Lanterns, but they NEVER got hit up at Windfall for me. The Red Hots were the ticket last year. Now down at Sweetheart Creek I couldnt get the Sockeye to hit the red hots, but the Lantern's were awesome down there.
    I dont think I can hit first day, but I will definitly be up there next Saturday if anyone is heading up.

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    I like those Sockeye Lanterns, but they NEVER got hit up at Windfall for me. The Red Hots were the ticket last year. Now down at Sweetheart Creek I couldnt get the Sockeye to hit the red hots, but the Lantern's were awesome down there.
    I dont think I can hit first day, but I will definitly be up there next Saturday if anyone is heading up.

Do they really bite anything? Its all technique

I thought that sport fishing isn't allowed at sweetheart?

I'll likely head up there next Sat as well.

I'll be out at Salmon Cr. sunday. The dollies were in frenzy-mode when I was driving home yesterday...First time I've seen them doing that this year...should be hot

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    Do they really bite anything? Its all technique

I thought that sport fishing isn't allowed at sweetheart?
    I contacted a Fish and Game Biologist last year before I went to Sweetheart about sport fishing down there and he told me that is was legal and there is a 6 fish limit. I had no use for 25 sockeye last year but I wanted to go anyways but had to make sure it was legal. I will call again this year before I go just to make sure they were not just telling me that to get me off the phone, but I dont think they were. It did sound to me, while talking to the biologist, that no one had asked before about it. I guess everyone just goes down there for the subsistance side of things, but it sure was a hell of a time. I limited in about an hour with some real hogs, much bigger than anyone was pulling in the dip nets.

Ahh that makes sense.

So if you don't have a personal use permit sport fishing is ok. You just can't sport fish with the permit....

If you need someone to dump off sockeye to let me know

Ahh that makes sense.

So if you don't have a personal use permit sport fishing is ok. You just can't sport fish with the permit....

I probably should have put it that way. You are exactly right, no permit, you can sport fish. Permit, you cant sport fish. Those were his exact words. I was the ONLY one fly fishing down there and was surprised that I was not in anyones way at all and they were not in my way with the dip nets. Everyone was awesome and was cheering everytime I hooked up. It was pretty cool. Cant wait for August...

Default Gear types

Ahh that makes sense.

Is there limitations on gear for personal use, it seems to me that rod and reel are still legal with the permit. You just have a limit of 25.

It sounds strange to me, but you MUST use a dip/cast net down there or you are sportfishing. You are either subsistance with one of those or rod and reeling/fly fishing for a limit of 6. I dont quite understand why you can not rod and reel fish for 25 but thats the reg. I did find it hard to get anymore than my limit though as the Sockeye bite was off once the sun hit the stream, but the pinks were still hitting anything you threw at them which still made it worth the trip.

So, I've never really fished Windfall Creek before - When can it start producing? and when does it get good?

I went up on the first saturday of last June and caught three (only kept one, but 3 caught none the less). I think it may be a little later this year due to the cold water, but who knows. I'll let you know next saturday.
    Steelhead were hitting hard the last week, so maybe the temps in the creeks are up enough to drive them to biting and it also looks like this whole week is full of rain and that should help as well.

Hiked up to the creek today just to poke around since I've never actually hiked it before. Creek looked VERY nice....Didnt see anything but some fry, but then again, I cant see very well into the deep holes.

Funny thing about Windfall Creek is there are some DEEP holes in that small section of water and I dont know that I ever saw a Sockeye not being caught. There were always PLENTY there but you just never saw them in the water. Drift and pray, but oh what a drift!!

Talking

[quote=Skookumchuck;277823] Its pretty good for coho in Sept/Oct....and I know thats legal.

OHHH, I heard that was a super secret.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast