Thread: Mouth of Kasilof? Kenai into the salt?

Default Mouth of Kasilof? Kenai into the salt?

Hey guys,

Im doing a charter out of Deep creek on Sunday! FINALLY!

Anyways, Im leaving early tomorrow and I want to cast on a beach at either the mouth of Kenai or Kasilof. Or any other beach in between you can suggest that 'may' be productive for kings.

I just wanted to know:

1) Is this legal to cast at the mouth into the salt of these 2 rivers?
    2) Any suggestions between the two?

Thanks a million,

Jonathan

P.S. If anyone is in that area, pm me and maybe we can meet up to fish!

I've never tried either, but if I were going to do one or the other, I would cast off the mouth of the Kasilof. The mouth of the Kenai is a huge gaping chasm, and I think you'd be hard pressed to get your offerings out into the main channel. Kings might run closer to shore there than I assume, but... So from a I've-never-done-it perspective, I'd go with the Kasilof.

Jonathan,

Go to Crooked Creek Campground on the Kasilof and cast from shore. It ain't saltwater, but I think you'll have a better shot a a king there...or at the mouth of Deep Creek around high tide.

Big pixees and vibrax at Deep Creek, Spin-N Glo, corkie or other drift rig at Kasilof.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    Jonathan,

Go to Crooked Creek Campground on the Kasilof and cast from shore. It ain't saltwater, but I think you'll have a better shot a a king there...or at the mouth of Deep Creek around high tide.

Big pixees and vibrax at Deep Creek, Spin-N Glo, corkie or other drift rig at Kasilof.
    Dead on, great advice!!!! May also want to try the ninilchik if the water is blown out. Personally, I would go to the Kasilof, good memories for me!

Crap, I meant Ninilchik, rather than Deep Creek...but that'll work, too.

Default Nickle chik

Try the Ninilchik river. Just hike upstream from the bridge. It wasnt high and muddy last weekend and should have more fish in it now.

Hey guys,
    thanks for the advice. I wanted to do the salt because that way my girlfriend would stay busy with flounders, or cod etc while I fished for kings.

I will probably try the campground today as well though.

How do I get to the crooked creek campground on Kasilof?

Or the 'mouth of Ninilchick?"

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan, there will be signs along the highway directing you to Crooked Creek, I think it's shortly after you cross the Kasilof River, but might be a littleways down the road (I ain't been there in several years) . To get to the mouth of the Ninilchik, you take a right after you cross the river and follow the gravel/dirt road down to the beach.

High tide today is shortly after 1 pm, so 11ish would probably be a good time to start fishing. There are some flounder and other saltwater fish that come in there too.

We'll be leaving before too long; might see ya down there.