Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grumman 19 square

Default grumman 19 square

Hi guys, new to the forum mostly a lurker until now. I am going to pick up a old 19 square tommorow. I have been looking for one for awile and finally bit the bullet and bought one off of ebay about 800. I am looking for ideas to rig it out. It does not have a wood transom plate on it I guess it rotted off I will have to put a new one on. Should I extend it up for shallow water use? I have right now a 3hp and a 4 hp that would get me by what do the experts say? Any other rigging suggestions welcomed. Thanks Bob

more Horse power.
    Tim

Default 19 Ft

there is lots of things you can do when I started out I just put a pice of 2x8 on the back an cut it off at about 7 inches [caveatation plate about 1/2 inch below bottom of canoe] an got a tiller handle extenation if you are going to run rivers with you will need more horse power, the one problem a big problem is you have a sheer pin in the prop for rivers this is a no no, for rivers the frist rock/log you hit will take it out I know you won't but you don't see all the rocks / logs, if you are going to run only lakes it will be fine not much speed
    SID

Well, a 450 mile round trip and its in the backyard. I picked it up in my old Tacoma made a makeshift canoe pads out of the kids noodle pool toys. Worked good. The boat was just outside of Toledo, OH. I left at 5 am with the weather good and winds calm. Late morning the wind picked up so I was driving back west in a 30+ headwind. Not great fuel economy at 4.34 a gallon. Had her tied on pretty good and only moved a little. Got it in the yard on a pair of horses and looked it over. The bottom is good no dents to speak of. It is pretty dirty,to bad I just loaned my powerwasher out to a hunting buddy. I took a bucket with so TSP and a scouring pad from the kitchen and worked on some small areas and it looks to clean up OK. Somebodt took out the second croos support so I need to get one and some proper oar locks. I can get these from grumman/marathon right? It needs a new piece of wood for the inner and outer transom. I will measure my motor and add the extension. It has some old stick on numbers that wont budge. I put a scraper on them for a minute but felt I was cutting into the soft aluminum. Any tricks for old # removal? The title says 1978 year of manf. and the serial number on the plate is 68-19S . thats all for now Bob

If memory serves, it is rated for a 5hp? I ran a 15hp on mine for years. You can not move up stream with a 9.9hp on the Tanana river with less than a 15hp.I put a lift on mine for the shallows. Worked good and hauled a lot of moose with it over the years and more than a few black bear.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default archives.....

Search the archives here for threads on the 19' freighters. There are many extensively covering all you may want to know.

And 5 hp to small, very small. Like many others here, I run a 15 hp 2 stroke (Yamaha) on a lift.

Happy trails.

Cool

First off, get a motor lift, second, no less than 10 hp, I ran a 15 on mine. Carry an extra prop. Get something to protect the skeg, I used a piece of 1/8 inch stainless bent to fit and bolted on. I started running the 19 footer in 74. Lots of fun and they will take you anywhere you want to go. Not quite as fast as a jet, but easier to get off sand bars.

Quote Originally Posted by bobw View Post
    It has some old stick on numbers that wont budge. I put a scraper on them for a minute but felt I was cutting into the soft aluminum. Any tricks for old # removal? The title says 1978 year of manf. and the serial number on the plate is 68-19S . thats all for now Bob

You might try a heat gun.

kingfisherktn

Default 19 ft sq st

what every one says is true about what to put on, your money is all it takes, if you don't go the lift an 15 HP 2 cycle an stay with the small ENG you have an use a 2 X 8 for a motor MT you will want a pice of ALUM on the out side of the wood, an samwitch the wood between the canoe an the pice of ALUM use stanless steel BOLTS [won't rust] an some RTV to caulk it up fairly good an some water seal for the board , as for oar locks I don't think the canoe's cane with oar locks as for the support you will have to get it from your local dealer they should be able to help

SID

Default 19'

I have a 9.9 merc with a lift and Rochkhopper Guard .....works great!

www.rockhoppermotorguard.com
    Alaska

Thumbs up Rockhopper....

I, also, have a rockhopper. For me, it's a necessity.

Not to get off the subject. But what do you all think one of these in the anchorage area would go for? It has a lift and runners on the bottom. I posted a pic of the runners on here last year in a different tread. I think Sid said that he may of been the guy who installed the runners. The wood transom is starting to rot and it has a very small dent on the side near the rear of the canoe. I am asking what you all think it is worth because I just don't really use it any more. I have a jon with a jet these days and I used use the canoe at lakes that were electric motors only but these days I really don't even do that much. I have thought about selling it and at the same time I would hate to get rid of it knowing its hard to find one up here. I am pretty sure its an older .050". But I still need to bring a mic home from work to verify that.

Default 19 ft GRUMAM

Don't Worry It Is .050 For Thickness If It Is One Of The Ones I Did As No Else Would Do It, It Cost To Much To Do It

Sid

I got my pressure washer back today and put it to work on the canoe. It took care of the rough spots but old fashioned elbow grease and TSP got her cleaned up good. I made some observations while I was going over every inch with the steel wool.
    the second spreader ,support, or thwart is missing
    two of the seat supports are cracked
    missing two rivits from spray rail
    tha spray rail is flat to the hull all the way should it be like that or bent out
    I was thinking of using parkers duck boat paint on it , what primer for bare alum.

I have her sitting next to my 1963 grumman 20 double ender also a niice boat but I dont like the side mount for outboards.
    Keep the comments ,suggestions coming, I am taking it all in. I have gone through previous posts and am looking for some nice pics of the boat in action, cant find to many ,how bout some fresh ones. Bob

Thumbs up thwarts, etc.

The missing thwarts, cracked seats, rivets, etc., can be replaced by the parts currently available from The Marathon Boat group. The designs are still the same and are quite reasonably priced. I replaced 3 thwarts on mine for about $50 plus shipping.

Ordered the parts today from marathon. Talked to an oldtimer that seemed to know the boat well. He recomended if I was to use a lift to call beaver sports in fairbanks. I dont know if I will need one at this time. Ordered the paint from lock stock and barrel in MI. They have a pdf file with the color chart. Went with a dull dead grass finish. I gave him a number off the bow tag and it didnt do anything for him, he said to check the transom as there would be a plate there. I looked and I could see at one time there was an oval plate but no more . thanks, bob

Default 19 Ft

on the inside there is a pice of ply wood an on the out side there is press board, any thing will work just so the motor grips into some thing out side of metal inside an outside that will last more than one trip

Default lift

Beaver Sports doesn't do Grummans or lifts anymore. Call the Boat Shop .... they were dealing with the gent that now makes them (used to be Jon Klingel) ... for their Osage canoes, but he can make them for your 19'er. That's where I bought mine. Was about $300. And worth it.

the paint and primer arrived today will be the weekend project if the weather holds and the warden dosent already have a big list for me. Also picked up a 6hp johnson 6r-735 in town today. Hasnt been run in years but put it in a barrel and it fired right up except is wasnt pumping water. Anybody replace the impeller on one of these and is it a big job? Rigs coming together. bob

Started the painting project today. Primed the hull with an aluminum primer waited about six hours and did the topcoat. Bought a small gravity feed spray gun from Harbor freight for 13 bucks. It holds about 12 ounces of paint. The color is dead grass green and I thinned it a little and applied three coats. The temp here was 85 degrees so each thin coat dried well. I got the paints from Lou at Lock Stock and Barrel in Michigan. It is primarily a decoy shop but he builds duck boats and sells paint. He has a nice color chart and all the paints are dead flat finish. Project #2 I replaced the impeller on the 6 horse and put it in a barrel and it fired up and surprise... it works! As long as I had the paint set up I painted that to match. I am still waiting for the spare parts from grumman to arrive and I will paint them seperatly. Thats the update for now. Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast